• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Games Plus", Chicago - Best Game Store Around. Period

King_Stannis

Explorer
I was at a seminar in Chicago this week, and before I went I had asked a few people to give me some good game stores in the Chi-town area. Regrettably, Chicago does not seem to have that many. However, to a person, everyone said that I needed to check out "Games Plus" in Mount Prospect - about a 45 minute drive from downtown.

Despite the rush hour traffic, my friend and I paid a visit to the place and were well rewarded. I can't say enough how cool this place was. One of the owners, Curt ("Thalmin" over here), was very nice and chit-chatted with us while we browsed. There was just an amazing variety of RPG material there - as well as figures (almost every Reaper mini made it seemed!), dice, etc. The list could go on. Suffice it to say that it is hands down the best game store I've ever seen. The "Overstock" shelves are probably bigger than most local game shops main selection! You folks in Chicago should be grateful to have such a place.

If you're ever in the Chicagoland area do yourself a favor and find this place. Well worth the trip. I bought $100 worth of stuff and could have easily spent $1,000, were I not on a budget. :)

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Agreed. It ranks with the best game stores I've seen, and Thalmin tips the scales. It's a good place to shop.

Yay, Games Plus!

ejja_1

First Post
hands down!

Too true!
Games plus never disappoints, if they dont have what you want they will order it. In from out of town and cant afford a game you see there at that time, they will mail it to you when you can afford it. Very flexable and always friendly, and all of the employees there are the same as Thalmin.
I have yet to have a bad experience at Games Plus.

sithramir

First Post
I would just like to note that when i moved to Chicago games plus read my posting for a game and helped me find a potential group and offered me to join in groups they play there. I think its great. I have never been to it yet as I work pretty much all the time but I hope to visit soon.

Just wanted to say thanks because they didn't need to help me even though in a way it helps them. Its these kind of things that make someone remember a store when they just got a 1000 dollar check and want to buy some book :) Wished I could be there for gameday but i'll hopefully be in the day after to visit finall!

Painfully

First Post
Don't forget their great auction where twice a year you can buy all those impossible-to-find and out-of-print items you thought you would never see again!

Personally, I think I'm addicted to the figs. They even have Rackham's Confrontation minis!

JoeGKushner

First Post
Too bad the store doesn't give you a reference bonus eh? I remember back in highschool, I'm talking 85' when it was in the old location, when I first hunted the place down. Got lost lots of times but the end result was worth it and now almost all of my fellow gamers head out there.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
A truly fantastic place. Plus, books are available there on street date. Any time there's something I absolutely have to have, it's worth the 45 minutes to get there.

Remove ads