Gamescience dice are very much worth it.

See, you haven't even accurately captured the point of those who disagree with you. Nobody ever claimed that all tumbled dice aren't biased. In fact, everyone completely AGREED with you on that. It's been stated repeatedly in this thread. You've completely misrepresented the folks who disagree with you, in a way that is difficult to believe isn't deliberately obtuse given how many times it's been clarified. And you've completely misused whatever data you have available to you, and falsely claimed that you've "proven" your point.

And you're trying to take me to task for reading carefully? I read carefully. I was being facetious.

As my :rolleyes: smilie indicates. Even though ENWorld removed that smilie years ago.

I'm not questioning your intelligence. I don't know the first thing about your intelligence. I'm certainly questioning your competence when it comes to the use of data, statistics and proveable science, though.

Last edited:

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Soo.....how about them dice?

I've heard a lot of people talk about how ugly Game Science dice are, and yes, I've seen some unattractive ones, but I don't think my red-ink solid black dice are ugly at all, nor are the white-inked Tanzanite (it's a clear violet) I bought my wife.

Certainly, some of the Chessex or Koplow swirly colored solids can have some distressingly ugly combinations approaching diseased mud.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Starting at the end....

If you would like a link to my thesis and dissertation over exoplanets I'll be happy to provide it. I'm about 90% done. It really is insulting to have your intelligence questioned when I have been working in science and math for 8+ years.

If you are that well trained, you should know that argument from authority doesn't mean much. Trained people can be wrong.

In this case, you, have failed to note that the basic issue is not whether they dice are biased, but whether they are biased enough to matter. Your authority doesn't matter much if you don't take enough care to apply it properly.

There's no way to settle this argument, you are claiming all dice tubled are non biased. All I have to do is find ONE die that is biased and I win...

Ah. You're trying to win.

I'm trying to make reality more obvious. I don't care about winning.

Try this one - no die you can purchase for gaming is without bias. Period. GameScience dice are also biased - nobody makes perfect forms for consumer prices.

Now, there's an argument that GS dice are *less* biased than tumbled dice. What you have failed to prove is that the bias in GS dice is, in the RPG context, noticeable in normal play.

I handed everyone tools to do that up thread with a chi-suqare analysis. Folks can just get some GS dice and other dice, and compare, and decide if it matters to them. Problem solved. And nobody has to win or lose.

Certainly, some of the Chessex or Koplow swirly colored solids can have some distressingly ugly combinations approaching diseased mud.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder before he uses the disintegrate on you. If I see Pepto-bismol pink swirly dice I know girls who will ooh and ah over them. "Vomitization!" says you and I, of course.

I remember buying the first "crystal" dice where you could SEE the bubbles inside. I also remember inking those d20's carefully to take every advantage of that bubble. I eventually threw them all away because not only I but everyone at the table found them unreadable. Ah, those were the days.

I had a DM long ago who took a freaking FILE to the corners and edges of his d20's with the specific intent of making them roll higher more often. I don't think it really helped him much.

These days I personally prefer nicely polished dice sets in solid, primary colors. Readability has come to be a significant factor to my aging eyes. But, if I feel like I'm rolling too low too often I grab a different set and it doesn't matter what color. If that set rolls low I grab another and another...

Most players I know or have ever met would, I'm sure, say that dice are a fashion statement, not a tool of greater accuracy in random number generation.

Remove ads