• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming Aids for the DM that has everything

drdevoid

Explorer
In less than three weeks, a guy I know is having a birthday and he's just about the most serious gamer I know. I'd like to get him something really cool.

Now he has a ton of minis, and scenary/tiles, and even framed fantasy prints. The one thing he might not have enough of is gaming aids.

He uses Steel Sqwire templates and a magnetic Initiative Tracker. Is there anything you fine folks can think of that might be cool?

There's enough of us going in that we could get something maybe a little more pricey.

drdevoid

Explorer
Legildur said:
Membership to EnWorld? :D

Or maybe a subscription to D&D Insider?

I wish a membership would suit him!

D&D Insider, hmmm. That's interesting. I still don't have a good gauge on his 4E Barometer.

Thanks to you, sir.

Stormrunner

Explorer
Does he have the MacFarlane dragons? They're roughly Gargantuan-sized, very nicely detailed, and much cheaper ($15-20) than the WotC big dragons. I've been getting most of them as they come out, so now I have a unique dragon mini for any powerful dragon the party might face :)

JohnnFour

Explorer
More ideas:

* A 3 panel customizable GM screen from Citizen Games

* Organization / storage items from the hardware store, such as plastic cases for minis, totes, portable shelves

* Packs of coloured index cards, or Post-Its

* Something from the Paizo GameMastery line

* Phil's Campaign Tracker PDFs

* iTunes credits (for gaming music)

* Interesting non-fiction books from Writing, History, or Reference sections

* OOP books from eBay

Cheers.

drdevoid

Explorer
Stormrunner said:
Does he have the MacFarlane dragons? They're roughly Gargantuan-sized, very nicely detailed, and much cheaper ($15-20) than the WotC big dragons. I've been getting most of them as they come out, so now I have a unique dragon mini for any powerful dragon the party might face :)

They look really cool, do you know how close they are Gargantuan/Colosal? I can't tell.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
If you mount one on a 4 inch base, it looks quite nice. So, by that standard, they do well as gargantuan minis. On the other hand, if you put them next to some of the recent huge minis--aspect of bahamut, eldritch giant, etc, they look to be the same size. (Or at least my two-headed beserker dragon does). If you put them next to a WotC gargantuan dragon, they look noticably and significantly smaller. (Again, comparisons between my beserker dragon and the WotC gargantuan black dragon which I have).

Based on that, I think you could run with the McFarlane Dragons as Huge or as Gargantuan depending upon how you based them, but they won't really work for collossal. And, if you're using them as gargantuan, they won't tower over any huges you happen to have on the table as well.

drdevoid said:
They look really cool, do you know how close they are Gargantuan/Colosal? I can't tell.

Remove ads