Gaming Dedication Likert Scale - How do you characterize yourself?

Gaming Dedication Likert Scale - Where are you?

Mercurius

Legend
This is a spinoff from this thread; I thought it deserved its own thread and poll and to be put in the general forum.

Anyhow, the question is relatively straightforward. I'm interested in where people conceive themselves to be on a Likert-scale I just worked up, which has to do with dedication in terms of time, energy, mental and economic commitment to the hobby. Obviously this is a pretty narrow group in that the vast majority of folks, at least those that are reading these words right now, are on the "serious plus" side. But I thought it would be interesting nonetheless.

Below is a further description of the scale. Please note: These are meant to be more as descriptive rather than definitive; if you find yourself incorporating elements of two or even three levels, just pick the one that makes the most sense overall. Also, try to look at your "gaming career" as a whole, but weighted to the present. Maybe you were once Diehard but are now Serious, but overall have been Very Serious - pick that one.

Finally, this is meant for fun and conversation - and not to fence anyone in! Now have at it.

p.s. If this all sounds familiar, I believe I did something like it a few years ago, although am not sure I included a poll and a scale. Anyhow, no harm in doing it again.

1. VERY CASUAL - You dabble in gaming and play every once in awhile, when the opportunity arises and it doesn't conflict with more focal pursuits. You would never think of GMing and, quite frankly, have no idea why you're reading this (but we're glad you're here!). Typical game collection: Probably none, but maybe one or two game books at most and some dice.
  2. CASUAL - You might play regularly, but only as a player; if you end up GMing its probably because you picked the short straw, and either temporary or you'll soon be converted up the scale. You enjoy gaming but might prefer other aspects of the session--the social element--as being more central to your interest ("I only play because my friends do it, but I do enjoy it"). While you enjoy gaming, you could live without it and wouldn't miss it too much. Typical game collection: You probably own at least a set of dice, and might own at least one book (e.g. Player's Handbook) and maybe a couple supplements.
  3. SOMEWHAT SERIOUS - You enjoy gaming and like it being part of your life. You might have tried GMing, but prefer playing and don't dedicate much time to the game outside of sessions, except perhaps browsing books and maybe working on character background or leveling up, or some bathroom reading. You've gone years without playing and haven't thought much about the hobby while on hiatus, but there's always been a little tickle in the back of your mind, saying "I'd love to get into a D&D game." You could live without gaming, but like it eough that you might actively seek out a game if you're not part of one. Typical game collection: A few books, some dice, maybe some miniatures.
  4. SERIOUS - You can say that you "love" the hobby and, in some way or another, will likely incorporate it in your life for the indefinite future. Maybe someday you'll move on to More Serious Things, but for now you love it. If you haven't GMed, you want to try your hand at it, but you probably have GMed, or will at some point. The thought has crossed your mind to write your own game and you might even have taken a stab at it - although never very seriously, maybe just a few Word documents. You definitely spend time outside of the game session doing gaming related stuff - reading books, designing stuff, perhaps reading and participating in online forums. Typical game collection: Dozens of books and an assortment of other items.
  5. VERY SERIOUS - As with Serious, but up a notch. You love gaming, love the "play of the imagination," and spend a sizable amount of time thinking up stuff. You might take hiatuses from gaming, but you prefer not to, and even when you do you've always got something on the back-burner - maybe designing a campaign, working on a game, just dabbling with ideas, etc. The same with online forums and the gaming community as a whole; you might take breaks, but invariably you find your way back. You're probably a lifer, at least on some level, although gaming is never primary to your life - just one of your favorite hobbies. Typical game collection: Probably over a hundred books, even hundreds, and many other items.
  6. DIEHARD - Gaming is a significant part of your life and more than "just a hobby." You might have a dedicated gaming room (and if not, want one) and prefer playing at least one campaign at all times, if not two or more, at least one of which you are probably the primary GM of. The thought of taking a hiatus from gaming is almost unthinkable, and you wouldn't do it unless you had no other choice (e.g. coma). Even if you aren't in an active campaign (which is painful to you), you spend a good amount of time reading, working on games and settings, on the internet and in game stores. You might even own a game store. If you aren't a game designer, you kind of wish you were - or at least that your professional life was somehow involved with gaming - and have definitely written at least the draft of a game, or at least extensive house rules and mods for other games. Perhaps the defining feature is that while you may have other hobbies, even on on equal or close footing, none surpass gaming. Typical gaming collection: Probably a game room; many hundreds of books and other items, probably over a thousand.
  7. UBER-DIEHARD - Gaming is Life, Life is Gaming. It is the central focus of your life, professional or private. Even if you don't work in the field, you really wish you did and find some way beyond "just gaming" to be involved - whether through running games a stores, going to conventions, etc. You have definitely designed at least one game, maybe many, and probably have some kind of publishing credits, whether as a playtester, your own work, a magazine, or simply an online public website of your campaign. If you don't have a dedicated game room (which you probably do), then your home looks like a dedicated game room. You go to bed thinking about gaming and wake up thinking about gaming, and then the rest of life intrudes. If you're married, its probably to someone who is at least Somewhat Serious; if they aren't, your partner is either amazingly adaptable or your partnership has an expiration date. Typical game collection: A room-full (plus) of just about everything conceivable. Probably 1000s of books.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Folks seem to be less likely to vote in public polls, where others can see what you chose.

I'd expect that effect to be strong here, where some among us are apt to think there's a judgement that could be made - "You aren't a *real* hardcore gamer, so why should I listen to you?"

innerdude

Legend
I didn't even have to read the descriptions, and immediately pegged myself in the "serious" category.

I love gaming, and enjoy nearly every aspect of it (social interaction, game design, world-building, character creation, playing from "actor" stance)---but I can also think of a half-dozen things I'd easily, EASILY choose to do other than gaming given the time.

I fit my gaming into my life, not the other way around.

I will say though, I find the whole concept of "Maybe someday you'll move on to More Serious Things, but for now you love it" to be more than a little insulting. This very much insinuates that gaming as a whole is an immature, or childish pursuit.

Is it any more childish as an outlet for creativity than dabbling in visual art? Acting in a community theater play? Playing the piano or guitar at home for ones' own personal enjoyment? Is it any different than being into scrapbooking, or digital hobby photography? Are any of these something from which you'd "move on to More Serious Things"?

Mercurius

Legend
[MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION], these aren't the droids you're looking for. Or, to put it another way, I was being facetious.

Oh yeah, I agree with you.
[MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION], that's too bad - both that folks would feel that this scale connotes a certain degree of "gamer cred," and that people might not vote because of it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Because I don't give a ****, i voted, and "very serious" pretty much describes me over my lifetime, though it's probably leaning towards "serious" these days. I've owned enough material in my lifetime to have given away more than one collection over the years to keep space consumption low, though it's more pdfs now than physical. I wouldn't even consider that a brag, more of an AA confession - my retirement fund weeps for the thought of the money spent over the years.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
89 views and only 5 votes? Come now friends, don't be shy!

I'm still thinking about it.

I have a purpose-built room - technically a separate building - which is my office/library but, in reality, was designed to be able to easily store and access my RPG books and miniatures. According to your scale, that alone makes me "diehard" but I don't think I play often enough to be called that. And when I'm tied up on business matters, I can easily go months to a year without any serious gaming.

delericho

Legend
After reading the descriptions, I went for "Very Serious". But I'm not 100% happy with that - in some aspects I'm closer to "Serious" (or even "Somewhat Serious"), while in others I'm closer to "Diehard".

Lindeloef

First Post
I voted serious, but there are parts of that description that don't fit, so I would be on the border to "somewhat serious" or even "casual". If I could split my vote I would have done so...

The descriptions are kinda hard for me to put my finger on one label and say, thats a 100% match

Remove ads