Gaming Dedication Likert Scale - How do you characterize yourself?

Gaming Dedication Likert Scale - Where are you?

Mercurius

Legend
To the last few posters, remember - the descriptions are meant to be more descriptive than definitive. I tried to paint a broad brush - there isn't supposed to be a 100% match, just "I'm more this one than anything else."
[MENTION=87576]Scrivener of Doom[/MENTION], just based upon what you wrote, it sounds like you are at least Very Serious. The purpose-built room is Diehard-worthy, but the key is how much mental space, time and energy that gaming consumes. If during those months that you're not playing, gaming isn't still somewhat primary in your leisure time in terms of secondary activities - reading, planning stuff, etc - then I'd call you Very Serious. But if, while focusing on business stuff, you're still working on game stuff at nearly every spare opportunity, then you could be Diehard.

Mercurius

Legend
Because I don't give a ****, i voted, and "very serious" pretty much describes me over my lifetime, though it's probably leaning towards "serious" these days. I've owned enough material in my lifetime to have given away more than one collection over the years to keep space consumption low, though it's more pdfs now than physical. I wouldn't even consider that a brag, more of an AA confession - my retirement fund weeps for the thought of the money spent over the years.

Sounds very similar to me. I voted Very Serious, even though my recent activity is more akin to Serious. I tend to fluctuate between the two, but voted VS because it better fits my love of the hobby and the overall picture of it.

Another way to look at this is what is the overall gravitational center? What do you come back to?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Dedicated game room? Uhm... kind of 3 of them. Although all of them also have another focus (library, fitness/stuffed cat collection, altar room)

1000s of books? Counting my pdf stuff, oh definitely. Read them all? Not yet, but I may need them anytime :cool:

Playtested? Yup, several games. Designed? Yup. None of it published though. Public site? Well, we had until the server crashed and the wiki died. Public gaming? Not right now but planing to start stuff in my FGLS again.

Married to a gamer? Sure, of the Very Serious quality.

Now you know who voted Uber :D

Although gaming is not the main focus of my life despite of it. It comes secondary to our cats. And I may go months without gaming when I found a temp replacement and happen to have no groups.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) @Scrivener of Doom , just based upon what you wrote, it sounds like you are at least Very Serious. The purpose-built room is Diehard-worthy, but the key is how much mental space, time and energy that gaming consumes. If during those months that you're not playing, gaming isn't still somewhat primary in your leisure time in terms of secondary activities - reading, planning stuff, etc - then I'd call you Very Serious. But if, while focusing on business stuff, you're still working on game stuff at nearly every spare opportunity, then you could be Diehard.

Yeah, that's why I'm still bouncing around trying to decide.... ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Despite this:

I still voted Very Serious as opposed to Diehard, in part because the other side of that room contains a few guitars and @3000 of my 5000 CDs...and that's not my only other pricy hobby. Also, I have experienced long droughts without gaming- going through a months-long one right now that will end in a week- without any ill effects. ;)

So its very important to me...but I can survive without it.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Very serious, here. There's hardly a day in the last 25 years where I didn't spend at least some thinking about RPG-related matters. On the other hand, I stopped proselytizing people to RPGs more than 20 years ago and think that I'm rather relaxed. :cool:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I would categorize myself as 'diehard' simply for the time spent - I've been gaming since 1978. I prefer having a weekly game - more than one if I can get it. I basically treat gaming on the same level with any other significant social commitment - I won't break that 'date' unless something really unusual comes up.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Despite this:

I still voted Very Serious as opposed to Diehard, in part because the other side of that room contains a few guitars and @3000 of my 5000 CDs...and that's not my only other pricy hobby. Also, I have experienced long droughts without gaming- going through a months-long one right now that will end in a week- without any ill effects. ;)

So its very important to me...but I can survive without it.

OK, if that is very serious I am only serious.

I was going to say my battlemap is bigger (5' x 3') but I think you've got me there as well....

Mallus

Legend
I can't decide between Serious and Very Serious.

I do spend a lot of time thinking about RPGs -- they're the principle outlet for my lifelong love of "making sh*t up". But I'm not so interested in rule & mechanics, I'm much more the inveterate setting-designer and character-maker. I DM more often than I play, but I don't own hundreds of books, barely a few dozen, and some of them date back to the 1980s. I own various setting books, but never run from them, preferring homebrews. Far from having a dedicated gaming room, I don't even host our gaming nights anymore (my wife tells me our group makes a frightful racket -- who I am to disagree?). Some of my best memories are from gaming -- but I mostly game w/close friends, or people who become them.

Basically, I get drunker (in the best possible sense) from a good gaming session than I do from high-quality (or large quantities of) booze, and it's not like I shy away from booze...

My gut tells me 'very serious' is right... with the aforementioned caveats.

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I am not posting pics of our game rooms, they are in a state of semi-chaos I can't blame on the cats... but once the lego battle terrain is done (husband builds it) I'll post at least that part of the library, and much sooner when I'm done writing up the SPIEL '13 report for here, you can see the table in our main gaming room full of loot ;)

Remove ads