• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming Paper in use.

darjr

I crit!
I've said before that I wanted to try gaming paper and I have. I run RPGA games and will sometimes run the same mod for different groups and I thought that instead of drawing the same map more than once or dealing with tiles I'd use gaming paper and draw them once for reuse. I thought that in my non RPGA games it would be useful for that kind of reuse as well.

I'm in my second roll and it was very nice to have the maps drawn out for the other tables ahead of time.

The paper does like to stain so before drawing on them make sure your hands are clean, and storage is more of an issue than I originally thought it would be. Simply rolling them back up and putting them in a tube can tend to crush the edges and the rolls can unravel and get stuck in the tubes. I think I'll need to wrap them around a cardboard tube or dowel to protect those edges and help keep them from unraveling in their storage tubes.

BTW the mailing tubes the stuff ships in are awesome for storing the drawn maps.

Attachments

• iphone 054.JPG
    iphone 054.JPG
    959.5 KB · Views: 573
  • iphone 055.JPG
    iphone 055.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 682
  • iphone 061.JPG
    iphone 061.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 689
  • iphone 059.JPG
    iphone 059.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 602
  • iphone 060.JPG
    iphone 060.JPG
    1,023.3 KB · Views: 579
  • iphone 058.JPG
    iphone 058.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 707

darjr

I crit!
On those maps I used crayons, pens, and colored pencils. The best were the pens and I need many more colors. Crayons and pencils were not so great, crayons did create a very subtle effect that was neat but was a lot of effort. The pencils just didn't want to work right, maybe I need softer lead pencils.

Haven't used paint. I'm worried that the paint will flake off when I roll the maps.

Paul_Klein

Explorer
That has been my problem with Gaming Paper as well... colors. Markers work best, but it tends to run my Sharpies dry really quick, and colored pencils (plain Crayolas) just don't work that well (the color barely shows up unless you really layer it on).

If anyone has found any great methods for coloring on Gaming Paper, I'd love to hear it.

DogBackward

First Post
Hey, cool. I actually know the guy that created Gaming Paper (the owner of the gaming center where our games run). I'll ask him about the color thing next time I see him.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
My gaming group has not used the Paper directly, but our GM sandwiched a sheet of grid and a sheet of hex Gaming Paper back to back between two sheets of plexiglass and dropped it into his modular gaming table.

I made his day when I directed him to the Gaming Paper website. Before that he had been looking at a custom print job that would have cost a couple hundred dollars.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Two questions:

(1) What makes this stuff superior to the (far less expensive) easel pads?

(2) Can you provide the stat-block (in3.5 format, please) for a Dire Hula-Hoop?

Sidereal Knight

First Post
I believe that it's rather less costly than most easel pads, with the added benefit that you can have one continuous sheet rather than using 2 or more pad pages.

Remove ads