Gaming Pride / Gaming Shame

Today as I was setting up a Facebook profile, I struggled with this very issue. When I figured out that no one but my invited friends and family will see that stuff I decided I didn't have much to worry about.

As a public school employee, I do have a low-grade worry in the back of my head during the school year that some parent is going to flip out over the fact that their kid's librarian likes D&D.

lol! I understand your predicament Eric. It's not worth having trouble in your job because of something like that. However, I do find it amusing that the guy who created the most popular non-WotC 3 D&D website on the internet is in the closet about D&D to some extent. :)

Olaf the Stout

Parlan

First Post
I used to say that I'd rather admit to a (non-existent) drug habit than tell people I played D&D.

That might not be true any more.

As I've gotten older, I've started to care less. So I tell g/fs about it after a few dates, and I'll talk about it with friends.

But professionally, I believe it's a liability. I don't think "D&D Boi" would be a good moniker around the office.

the Jester

Legend
I've got mad gaming pride. I recruit other people into gaming at work or other public places; I bring gaming reading material to public places and read it on buses; I wear gamer T shirts and gear; etc.

Oryan77

Adventurer
I don't go around telling people I play, but if someone asks about it, I'll explain. But a lot of times I'm really vague with my explanation because I just don't want to sound too geeky & I don't think the person will be all that interested in hearing about it.

If I'm talking to a person that I don't think would really understand (usually a person that doesn't even play video games), then I'll say something like, "It's sort of like a board game, only a lot more detailed". If they press me on that, then I'll say, "Well you play as a character that you create and you just go around killing monsters & bad guys, sort of like you do in a video game only you use your imagination a lot". That's usually all it takes and then they get bored of the topic and move on.

The best explanation to someone that might make fun of you for playing D&D is to explain that it's your version of poker night. That usually keeps them from ridiculing me :p

I've been bombarded with questions about me playing D&D (some co-workers have big mouths) by a room full of rich spoiled Stanford graduate girls that say the word "like" four times in every sentence. They ended the conversation by saying, "Well you make D&D sound pretty cool". Some of us can talk about D&D to non gamers and not come off as geeky. But plenty of guys out there still make it really hard for us not to be teased for playing D&D :lol:

Details demanded!

Thanks, -- N

Not really much to tell. The game master for a game I played in at the FLGS found out that I was having trouble finding a job after years of working at my parents retail store, so he hooked my up with an interview at a local Temp agency, and after a year of temping for the local phone co, they hired me on full time. That was about three years ago. Because of the way I got the first interview I found out that every supervisor I’ve had so far has played D&D in one form or another. So for me, D&D was actually an asset as far as employment.

Remove ads