• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming Pride / Gaming Shame

Today as I was setting up a Facebook profile, I struggled with this very issue. When I figured out that no one but my invited friends and family will see that stuff I decided I didn't have much to worry about.

As a public school employee, I do have a low-grade worry in the back of my head during the school year that some parent is going to flip out over the fact that their kid's librarian likes D&D.

lol! I understand your predicament Eric. It's not worth having trouble in your job because of something like that. However, I do find it amusing that the guy who created the most popular non-WotC 3 D&D website on the internet is in the closet about D&D to some extent. :)

Olaf the Stout

Parlan

First Post
I used to say that I'd rather admit to a (non-existent) drug habit than tell people I played D&D.

That might not be true any more.

As I've gotten older, I've started to care less. So I tell g/fs about it after a few dates, and I'll talk about it with friends.

But professionally, I believe it's a liability. I don't think "D&D Boi" would be a good moniker around the office.

the Jester

Legend
I've got mad gaming pride. I recruit other people into gaming at work or other public places; I bring gaming reading material to public places and read it on buses; I wear gamer T shirts and gear; etc.

Oryan77

Adventurer
I don't go around telling people I play, but if someone asks about it, I'll explain. But a lot of times I'm really vague with my explanation because I just don't want to sound too geeky & I don't think the person will be all that interested in hearing about it.

If I'm talking to a person that I don't think would really understand (usually a person that doesn't even play video games), then I'll say something like, "It's sort of like a board game, only a lot more detailed". If they press me on that, then I'll say, "Well you play as a character that you create and you just go around killing monsters & bad guys, sort of like you do in a video game only you use your imagination a lot". That's usually all it takes and then they get bored of the topic and move on.

The best explanation to someone that might make fun of you for playing D&D is to explain that it's your version of poker night. That usually keeps them from ridiculing me :p

I've been bombarded with questions about me playing D&D (some co-workers have big mouths) by a room full of rich spoiled Stanford graduate girls that say the word "like" four times in every sentence. They ended the conversation by saying, "Well you make D&D sound pretty cool". Some of us can talk about D&D to non gamers and not come off as geeky. But plenty of guys out there still make it really hard for us not to be teased for playing D&D :lol:

Details demanded!

Thanks, -- N

Not really much to tell. The game master for a game I played in at the FLGS found out that I was having trouble finding a job after years of working at my parents retail store, so he hooked my up with an interview at a local Temp agency, and after a year of temping for the local phone co, they hired me on full time. That was about three years ago. Because of the way I got the first interview I found out that every supervisor I’ve had so far has played D&D in one form or another. So for me, D&D was actually an asset as far as employment.

Remove ads