Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant High

Shayuri

First Post
I dunno...might be hard to fine a niche.

On the other hand, I'm really...really...REALLY...starting to feel Calypso's limitations. I'm not sure why she even bothered going to the Danger Room. She can't DO anything in there.

Granted, it's a big limit, and I got a big point break for it, so I can't complain really. But I do think that for the intensity of X-men combats, she's just not adequate. The only reason she was able to contribute to the cyborg fight was because Phase was there.

I just didn't think things through I guess.

drothgery

First Post
Shayuri said:
I dunno...might be hard to fine a niche.

On the other hand, I'm really...really...REALLY...starting to feel Calypso's limitations. I'm not sure why she even bothered going to the Danger Room. She can't DO anything in there.

Maybe Jemal will be helpful and have Iceman show up...

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Man, Spike just had a lucky hit. I hope I read the rules right on Slam attacks, as that would be a waste if he didn't. He wanted to stop speedy. I think it worked.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Speaking of limitations, after this fight I'm definitely going to place the Accurate on several of my Alternate Powers (thank god I didn't use all the points I could have when making them). At least then Miranda would be able to hit something. Effecting something with her Fort save inducing powers... well thats an other issue.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Wow, do I suck.

Two hits and down I go.

It doesn't help that I rolled a 6 and a 1 on my Reflex/Toughness saves.

Xi'an wakes up, he might just take off the OTHER glove.

Jack of Tales

First Post
Could someone link the IC thread?

Hmm interesting concepts, hmm? I think I can get some of those out. Let me try a few for you:
1) "Medusa" Kyra Wentington
Kyra's father is fond of telling her that it was the shock of seeing her 'freak' child that killed her mother at childbirth. Kyra was born with green hair and a pet. Most children receive their first pet on a birthday. Kyra's came with her. Scidean, both her brother (oddly enough) and her friend is a large, semi-intelligent snake. Kyra herself can turn others to stone with a glance, can mimic the fighting style of a snake and can communicate/control snakes.

2) "Bomb" Joshua Harding
An easily depressed child with the ability to cause explosions around him. Unfortunately when the power manifested he destroyed his entire house and family.

3) "Lady Death"
Creepy goth girl. Well wouldn't you be too if you could summon ghosts, talk to spirits, create vast areas of darkness, teleport -and- cause death with a touch?

Come up with more later..tell me when you see one you like ^^

Victim

First Post
Slam Attack: Not sure of the bonuses. I have normal +5 Attack Bonus
Then +2 for Melee due to Attack Focus Melee 2 ranks
Moving Normal, I think, since it's confined space and I won't be able to use accelerated movement, Super Speed 1, even with wall crawling at full speed, so that's another +2
Grand total of +9 to SLAM, right?

SLAM Attack on Quicksilver (1d20 9=29)

HOLY CRAP! Nat 20! I gotta read up on this now, lol. +14 dmg to Quicksilver if it confirms,and only +9 if it doesn't
+7 for me, since it's a slam. Impervious 2 brings it down to +5, for Toughness DC 20 save for me. Toughness Save for SLAM (1d20 11=25)[/sblock]

OOC - Had to write out my thoughts, as I want to make sure I understood the rules. I have Immovable, but I think that only applies when I receive a SLAM attack, not initiate it, right?

Any way to allow Spike to use a Hero Point to make Quicksilver reroll his save, should he pass? What use of Hero Point would really be beneficial right now? Spike would definitely use one on this lucky hit!

Unless you have Luck Control, you can't a spend a Hero Point to make Quicksilver reroll his save.

Slam attacks are basically like charging, except that you get a damage bonus (possibly, depending on your speed) instead of an attack bonus. And can take damage yourself. The damage bonus from the slam REPLACES your STR bonus to damage. So, IIRC, Spike would be attacking at +7 and getting a +3 damage bonus instead of his +7 bonus from STR. In other words, it's weaker than your normal attack. :(

Basically, Slam attacks aren't particularly useful unless your ranks in a movement power exceed your damage bonus. Or you really need some secondary attack form. I would just call his attack a charge, even if he's ramming someone in this case.

Impervious doesn't reduce damage, it lets you ignore damage less than your impervious rank.

On the other hand, even a weak hit on Quicksilver would probably be incapacitating, since he apparently has an extreme defense tradeoff.

------------------------------------------------

This building has plumbing (I assume :D ) and Calypso has a water detecting sense and a Perception TK on water. Go grab some h2o. Or use any blood on the floor after Spike impales Mr. Speed. Or stunt something - like a dehydrating Con drain as you suck the water out of someone's body.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
So, I should have simply gone with a melee attack? That sucks... I figured this would stop him cold, literally. Oh well, live and learn. I do have Super Speed 1, but that's not enough to help out either, right? I would have to move that distance to be granted the bonus to the attack.

I'll have to remember this for next time. I was going to go for a trip, but then I read the rules on that, saw the saves, and figured with his speed, he would simply avoid it too easily. Now, running into a spiked wall, that's a different story!

Jemal

Adventurer
actually, the x-men storyline to me was always about dealing with how you 'don't' fit in with 'normal society', so you go off and create your own. Really spoke to me as a gamer and a kid when i was young and lonely. :(

anyways, things to say:

Kirinke - yeah, something along the lines of a sort of 'Lightning Lass' would be cool, though would you be an electrical 'controller', or someone who can actually CREATE lightning?

Shayuri - I understand where you're coming from, though I do think that calypso is a very cool character, and that she does have a place. When taking disadvantages/flaws, you have to remember that they aren't just free points, they will cause you a 'disadvantage' later. :( I can't say calypso will be full powered in every fight, but think of the normal x-men.. What does storm do in a cave? How often does Rogue's power get used? Morph? Not everybody is a combat character, and yet they still fit in.
Having said that however, If you are very dissapointed in how your character's functioning and don't want to rely on other people to help (phase/iceman/alchemist), I will allow you to create another one.
Also see victims post, alchemist has been tearing up the floor, shouldn't be too hard to find an exposed pipe to burst.

Avalon - sure, why not.. EVERYBODY INTO THE POOL!!! GIMME a concept, baby!

Caros - Ah suck it up, princess, you tanked Quicksilver til Nightcrawler karate kicked your skull. :p j/k. Seriously though, I'd say you gave a fair accounting of yourself. Alchemist's definitely one of the more combat-capable of the group, even though Quicksilver's defense method makes him one of your harder opponents.

Fangor - Vicim's right, Slam attacks are 'less than efficient' for Spike unless he's using them to deal non-lethal damage. (Especially with the hampered movement effect basically reducing your speed by a rank..)
ALSO, you can't force him to reroll his save without points in luck control. (I believe you had a rank in 'luck', which grants an extra hero point, but not the abliity to use it to change other peoples rolls).
Unless you post otherwise before i update in a few hours, I'm going to assume that Spike was using his normal attack (which did crit, btw) and go from there. If you'd intended to deal nonlethal, or if you used slam for another reason, please inform me (Preferably in this thread) and I'll take it from there.

Relique - I'm really not fond of buying power feats of Alternate powers as they're exceedingly cheap, especially accurate, so i'll be allowing them only in limited quantity. I'd also prefer if you didn't mod powers that've allready been made unless they're causing big problems (See Shayuri). If you want to upgrade it the next time you put points into the array, that's different, but I'd ask that you not change existing powers without doing so unless there's a major reason (Either in or out of character) for the change.
Also, PLEASE ask first before making any edits to your character sheet. I periodically look through them, and when I see one that's been recently edited without my permission, I get a bit jumpy.

Jack - I think bomb would be the most appropriate as a mutant, how would you be working his power, though? Seems both dangerous and highly weighted towards battle.

TO ALL: Anybody who thinks their character is under-powered b/c of some perceived inability to hit/affect these two, take the following into account:
quicksilver is a high defense trad[e off, nightcrawler is FREAKIN NIGHTCRAWLER, and both are Combat-trained mutants a few levels higher than you (One more so than the other).. YOU are supposedly NON combat-trained students.
Also, Please recall what I said in the very First Post of this thread:
I foresee different power-levels amongst players dependant on their characters, so if you have a problem with other players being more powerful than you, this may not be your cup of tea.
Remember that everyone can contribute, regardless of power.

Also, I'm giving until tonight for anybody else who wanted to enter the combat to post initiative. So far only Drothgery (Quarterback) has. (Victim, forget what i said about temper taking an extra round in the infirmary. It was on the way and quiet, gogo og og og initiative and kilL!!)

Remove ads