Gaming W/Jemal : Prisoners!!(Inmates Chosen)

Jemal

Adventurer
So far,
A has 5 First votes and 2 Secondary votes.
B has 3 First votes and 2 Secondary votes.
C has 1 First vote and 1 Secondary vote.

Jemal

Adventurer
Allright, it's been almost 48 hours and I'm an impatient man, so Poll closed.

As I said, i like all of them, and want to run them, but the poll has spoken and you guys seem to want A.

I'll keep the other two on the backburner and bring'em back up if I think I've got time to DM another campaign down the line.

Now, from those who've posted in this thread (Whether you voted for A or not), We'll be doing character submissions for the Prison campaign.

In order to qualify for the campaign, submit a character concept and brief background. Don't need full stats yet unless you want to (This does not garauntee acceptance, though)
you must meet the following requirements :
Race/Templates/Classes/Feats: Anything from core&complete, but no psionics. Other:ask me first.
*Level Adjustment note: I will be allowing High LA templates (such as dragons/demons/undead), and I will be reducing the LA of any dragon by 1, and anything else that has an LA of +4 or higher is also reduced by 1.
Level: 12, with 1 xp short of level 13.
Abilities: 32 point buy
HP will be max @ first, and use the following chart :
D4's: 2.5 D6's: 4 D8's: 5.5 D10's: 7 D12's: 9. Add all the point5's up and then at the end round down. (EX 9d4(22.5)+3d8(16.5) would be 39, wheras 5d4(12.5)+7d6(28) would be 40.
Yeah, I know it's kinda weird, but I like it.

[sblock=Languages]
Languages.
In order to properly portray the immense diversity of worlds, I am doing away with the "common" tongue. It will be replaced with the following six 'human languages' spoken throughout the worlds:
African, Asian, English, European, Russian, and Spanish.
Humans choose one of these as their 'regional' language (make sure it makes sense), and Non-human's gain their racial language. Non-humans do NOT automatically gain one of the human tongues as they would normally gain common, they must spend skills (or take it as one of their int mod languages).
A character has ONE language + 1 for each point of Intelligence Modifier they had at level one, and can learn any non-secret (Thieves cant/Druidic) language.
When learning languages via Skills, 1 rank in a language allows you to speak it but poorly (IE second language), while 2 ranks makes you fluent.

Also, not all characters are automatically literate. Wizards, Clerics, and similar classes that would be required to read are literate in all of their 'starting' languages, but must spend skill points (as below) to read other languages.
Others must spend 1 skill point per language to gain literacy in those languages.
Anyone with levels in an 'illiterate' class (IE Barbarians) must spend twice the skill points for literacy unless they have levels in a "literate" class (wizard, Cleric, etc).

If you think your character's class should be Literate, make your proposal.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Equipment]
Here's the tricky part. You can have Gear as a lvl 13 character(Exception:No rings of sustenance) if you include a method by which you would still HAVE equipment in prison. (Possible examples: you magically hid it, you came here of your own free will, you came here by accident, etc). Anything even remotely plausible I'll give, as I don't want to shortchange you guys. (If you can't come up with something, there are 3 options - #1=Vow of Poverty. #2 = I've got a system for non-magic characters worked out, but it may not be as good as either the gear or the vow (Though you will be able to find equipment later). *See option C from post 6 for details* #3 = Come up with something interesting and suggest it.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Character Background]: You must include which world you are from (I will be allowing PC's from any campaign setting, including homebrew, as the Prison Dimension is a seperate place where many 'undesirables' are sent. You must also include WHY you are here. (Falsely accused, actually guilty, Rescue mission, Accidental mishap, tricked/trapped by enemy, etc)
PC's can be of any alignment, and I will NOT stop intraparty fighting if it occurs. This IS a prison/hell dimension, after all.[/sblock]

You must be able to handle yourself in combat, and all characters should help fill a noncombat survival role in the group, as you will have to fend pretty much for yourselves in a hostile foreign environment (Scout/foragers, Healer/doctors, cooks, people with knowledges, various survival skills/training, etc).
I should also point out that while I'm not fond of spells/effects that are meant to end an encounter in 1 round (AKA save vs death, Otto's Irresistable Dance, Dominate Person, etc), I will not DISALLOW them. Just keep one thing in mind: Karma. If you start throwing Phantasmal Killers at everything, eventually they'll start shooting back.

I'd also like to point out that Nova characters would probably be somewhat of a mixed blessing. With the ability to do large amounts of damage a few times a day, they can always be useful, but there are going to be at least a few occasions where your party will be running through MANY encounters without rest, so even if your character is based around "X times/day", make sure you've got SOME contingency for long-term.

[sblock=World & Campaign Background/Info]
You will all be 'appearing' at the same spot at the same time. (The prison only opens the portal once every week, and any who had entered/been sent during that time are held in stasis until the portal opens, then deposited altogether). You will not be REQUIRED to like each other, though any who have any knowledge of the prison (Knowledge: Law or Knowledge: Planes would work, and anyone actually being sent is informed of the information as well, before being sent) would know that when you arrive your soul is magically and randomly bound to one of the inmates who arrives with you, and if either of the two of you die, the other will die. Thus, Prisoners tend to form loosely knit groups dependant on arrival, to ensure their survival.

The Plane itself is an entire world, which used to be inhabited by a civilization of humans who had very advanced technology, as well as some grasp of magic. None of the original inhabitants remain, though some of their cities and equipment still stands, even Centuries later. The world has been used as a Prison for about a century, and as such has developed a culture/Civilization of it's own, though it is still a harsh and lawless place.

The plane is similar to most material planes, except it is completely detached from all other planes (no astral/etheral/etc, no extra-dimensional travel/teleportation, no summoning) except in specific spots, which are guarded heavily by the wardens of the plane. They don't interfere with what prisoners do so long as they stay away form the fortresses. Days are 24 hours, but Daylight only lasts for about 6-8 hours a day, as the 'disaster' that destroyed the original race left the planet charred and the skies darkened. There is still 'wildlife' after a fashion, most of it has mutated into forms that can survive in the harsh environment (Dire creatures, Dinosaurs, Monsters).

*I've been wanting to do this for a while, so here's the kicker :
The world is Earth, ~3200 AD. All human life was erradicated over a thousand years ago, but many cities still stand... crumbling, ruined, and plundered, though a few have been restored by those inhabitants trying to forge ahead.
This means that Geography will be much easier. If I say 'you're in new york', you'll be able to find out the surrounding Geography. It also means that we have a very large, semi-fleshed out world to adventure in, and a lot of history that could be discovered (Like what happened).
[/sblock]

[sblock=Processing Centre]
The Processing Facility is basically a plane all to itself (Well, a Demi Plane actually). It's used by about a hundred different worlds who actively use the "Prison Plane" to dispose of unwanteds. As such, a "Processing Facility" was created as a way of organizing it and making it a little more like an actual prison, less chaotic. Not all worlds are part of this organization, however.
Some dont even know the existance of the Prison plane. Some know of it, but not that it's being used as such in an organized manner (A'LA Owen's world), some don't know what it is, but know how to get there (they just don't know why nobody's ever come back). etc, etc.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Earth History/Info [/sblock]
(This info is NOT Character knowledge for everyone. It's for Player knowledge, and if your Character has applicable Knowledge skills, he/she may know some.)

A long time ago, Earth humans had advanced both technology and Magic. They managed to open portals to other worlds, traveling through to explore them. One of these worlds was Faerun of the FR setting, where they were discovered by the Elves. Soon enough, the Elves were able to open portals to this world as well, and began 'stealing' the humans to popluate their own world and live as a 'work force' for the elven overlords. Soon enough, the advanced humans discovered this, and though they were unable to retrieve their people, they managed to put a stop to it by permanently shutting off planar travel FROM their world, with the exception of a few specifically designed locations where 2-way travel was possible. Shortly thereafter, all contact was lost with Earth. Nobody knows for sure, but the common theory (On worlds with history old enough to remember, and that had interacted with them, such as Faerun) is that the cessation on outgoing planar traffic stopped beings who died there from passing on as intended, and some sort of global catastrophy decimated the population. With nowhere to go, the souls became undead and soon the world was bereft of life.
A few things scholars with knowledge skills might know(I'll come up with more for those of you who actually put points into the Knowledge skills):
Anything that Dies on Earth stays there. Souls do not travel to other planes, respawn, etc. A lich who dies on earth with his phylactery on another plane is screwed. If the Tarrasque were to die on Earth, it would respawn on EARTH. An outsider dieing there is not banished, but permanently destroyed. Normal living beings tend to become undead within days if the body's are not destroyed.

There are rumours that many of the wonders achieved by mankind before their downfall are still hidden around the planet, as are the secrets to what actually happened. There are also a few (at least one per continent) EXIT portals, doorways that swing both ways... Though where they lead is unknown, and they are always hidden inside Guard's fortresses.
*more info coming soon*
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ethandrew

First Post
This sounds really good and exciting! I'm anxious to get a submission in! I feel a little guilty that I didn't vote for this initially, though, I hope you don't count that against me ;)

One question, on the soul-bound prisoners, do they know who they are bound with or is that a mystery as well?

I'll get you a formal submission by this evening, but briefly I'm considering a fallen paladin, probably very recently at that, so a lot of fresh wounds.

Jemal

Adventurer
ethandrew said:
This sounds really good and exciting! I'm anxious to get a submission in! I feel a little guilty that I didn't vote for this initially, though, I hope you don't count that against me ;)

One question, on the soul-bound prisoners, do they know who they are bound with or is that a mystery as well?

I'll get you a formal submission by this evening, but briefly I'm considering a fallen paladin, probably very recently at that, so a lot of fresh wounds.

There is absolutely no way of knowing which other prisoner you are bound to short of death(which would, of course, affect both of you. This is what keeps the inmates in 'groups' instead of pairs.

Also, I should've pointed out that Souls that die here cannot be brought back nor contacted. There is much debate (At least on other planes) about what happens to them.

ethandrew

First Post
Jemal said:
There is absolutely no way of knowing which other prisoner you are bound to short of death(which would, of course, affect both of you. This is what keeps the inmates in 'groups' instead of pairs.

I like this concept a lot. I'm assuming we can't pinprick another group member to see if we feel their pain? :]

What races are you allowing? Can we do LA or is this standard core?

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Jemal said:
Allright, it's been almost 48 hours and I'm an impatient man, so Poll closed.

As I said, i like all of them, and want to run them, but the poll has spoken and you guys seem to want A.

I'll keep the other two on the backburner and bring'em back up if I think I've got time to DM another campaign down the line.

Now, from those who've posted in this thread (Whether you voted for A or not), We'll be doing character submissions for the Prison campaign.

In order to qualify for the campaign, submit a character concept and brief background. Don't need full stats yet unless you want to (This does not garauntee acceptance, though)
you must meet the following requirements :
Race/Templates/Classes/Feats: Anything from core&complete, but no psionics. Other:ask me first.
Level: 12, with 1 xp short of level 13.
Abilities: 32 point buy

Equipment : Here's the tricky part. You can have Gear as a lvl 13 character(Exception:No rings of sustenance) if you include a method by which you would still HAVE equipment in prison. (Possible examples: you magically hid it, you came here of your own free will, you came here by accident, etc). Anything even remotely plausible I'll give, as I don't want to shortchange you guys. (If you can't come up with something, there are 3 options - #1=Vow of Poverty. #2 = I've got a system for non-magic characters worked out, but it may not be as good as either the gear or the vow (Though you will be able to find equipment later). *See option C from post 6 for details* #3 = Come up with something interesting and suggest it.

You must be able to handle yourself in combat, and all characters should help fill a noncombat survival role in the group, as you will have to fend pretty much for yourselves in a hostile foreign environment (Scout/foragers, Healer/doctors, cooks, people with knowledges, various survival skills/training, etc).

Background: You must include which world you are from (I will be allowing PC's from any campaign setting, including homebrew, as the Prison Dimension is a seperate place where many 'undesirables' are sent. You must also include WHY you are here. (Falsely accused, actually guilty, Rescue mission, Accidental mishap, tricked/trapped by enemy, etc)
PC's can be of any alignment, and I will NOT stop intraparty fighting if it occurs. This IS a prison/hell dimension, after all.

Background/Info:
You will all be 'appearing' at the same spot at the same time. (The prison only opens the portal once every week, and any who had entered/been sent during that time are held in stasis until the portal opens, then deposited altogether). You will not be REQUIRED to like each other, though any who have any knowledge of the prison (Knowledge: Law or Knowledge: Planes would work, and anyone actually being sent is informed of the information as well, before being sent) would know that when you arrive your soul is magically and randomly bound to one of the inmates who arrives with you, and if either of the two of you die, the other will die. Thus, Prisoners tend to form loosely knit groups dependant on arrival, to ensure their survival.

The Plane itself is an entire world, which used to be inhabited by a civilization of humans who had very advanced technology, as well as some grasp of magic. None of the original inhabitants remain, though some of their cities and equipment still stands, even Centuries later. The world has been used as a Prison for about a century, and as such has developed a culture/Civilization of it's own, though it is still a harsh and lawless place.

The plane is similar to most material planes, except it is completely detached from all other planes (no astral/etheral/etc, no extra-dimensional travel/teleportation, no summoning) except in specific spots, which are guarded heavily by the wardens of the plane. They don't interfere with what prisoners do so long as they stay away form the fortresses. Days are 24 hours, but Daylight only lasts for about 6-8 hours a day, as the 'disaster' that destroyed the original race left the planet charred and the skies darkened. There is still 'wildlife' after a fashion, most of it has mutated into forms that can survive in the harsh environment (Dire creatures, Dinosaurs, Monsters).

*I've been wanting to do this for a while, so here's the kicker :
The world is Earth, ~3200 AD. All human life was erradicated over a thousand years ago, but many cities still stand... crumbling, ruined, and plundered, though a few have been restored by those inhabitants trying to forge ahead.
This means that Geography will be much easier. If I say 'you're in new york', you'll be able to find out the surrounding Geography. It also means that we have a very large, semi-fleshed out world to adventure in, and a lot of history that could be discovered (Like what happened).
Man this sounds so cool, I will be definetly putting something together for this.

My initial idea is that my character bribed one of the 'guards' to get himself thrown into the prison. Perhaps he's on a rescue mission perhaps he's out for revenge, whatever his true motivation for being there, he'll be keeping it to himself.

Remove ads