Gaming w/Jemal : Star Drift

Jemal

Adventurer
Shayuri:
For AI You'd have to be either be pre-fall and have some reason why you don't know how to recreate all the old awesome tech (Maybe a memory wipe or corrupted processor?) or you'd have to be a BRAND NEW experiment that has escaped. Only a couple of the new societies might have managed to recreate AI beings, and if they have you'd be highly sought after.

As for bio-engineered, do you mean 'new species built from the ground up', or genetically engineered from a pre-existing species? The former is a no for story reasons.

Others: Here's a Rogue's Gallery thread please post character sheets there so I can look them over and then I'll tell you what if anything needs changing.

Shayuri

First Post
A pre-Fall AI has potential. Perhaps a unit that was never activated, never programmed, and sat in some kind of storage for ages until uncovered. Of course, at PL 4 it wouldn't really be a 'construct.' It would have to be built to imitate living things pretty closely. Few unusual immunities and so on. But that's all secondary to the concept.

For a genetically engineered organism, my thought was that it was based on human genetics. It might even just be a clone of someone with some nips and tucks around the edges to enhance it. Either way, the idea is that the character is artificially made, not naturally born.

-------

As I think more about it, I'm drawn more to the pre-Fall idea. Some kind of high tech android that tests the boundary of what is and isn't 'alive.' Mind wise, it could have suffered damage or corruption that causes large blocs of memory and knowledge to be inaccessible (as possible plot hooks later) or can simply never have been prepared for activation, and was started up with only the most basic of operating protocols (how to move, how to speak, etc).

No special resistance to damage or effects, I think. It even has needs analogous to eating, sleeping and drinking. I was thinking of giving it a Complication where conventional medical technology was not very effective on it, and giving it a low level of Regeneration...the complication kicks in for damage that isn't subject to regeneration, or situations when the regeneration is nullified.

Just shotgunning ideas for now...what do you think of the overall concept though, Jemal? Before I get too attached. :)

---
Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo

Hm. Then again, we already have a lot of intelligence-oriented concepts. Maybe someone who's focus is more physical would be wise.

Though it could still work perhaaaaaaps...

Argh. This is why I've been having so much trouble. :)

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Alrighty, sorry about the delays - still adjusting to the whole 'new baby + more work responsibilities' at same time issue. Will be posting up my reviews of characters ASAP.
ALSO, For the Record, the RG currently only has one character in it.. Darwins. Please post your characters there if you are ready for them to be looked over. I would like to get this game going fairy soon.

EDIT: Also went back and double checked, looks like Shayuri, Voda Vosa, and Darwinofmind are the only three confirmed players. :( Oh well, just means you guys need to be intense roleplayers. :p

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]: The kind of genetic engineering I'm seeing from what you suggested is actually not completely uncommon in higher-tier civilizations even Post-Fall.
I personally like the damaged pre-fall 'android' idea the most. It seems the most interesting (and doable), and also gives me yet another source of exposition to exploit, by 'rebooting' or reactivating certain memory centres. ;)
Also if it's a semi-alive android you don't even have to build it with the standard 'construct' abilities. Maybe it's close enough to living that it IS affected by fortitude effects, it's body having been engineered to closely mimic people, but perhaps it just has a very high fort save representing it's greater resistance from being 'different'.

As far as the Physical vs Mental - I've no problem with a lot of smart people on the ship, just means a more intellectual campaign with mental challenges becomes possible. It gives options.
On the other and, if you want to be physical, there's nothing saying you have to be a 'smart' android.. maybe you've got a damaged cortex or something? Or were just not designed/programmed for higher thought.

Shayuri

First Post
I think I'm missing something...is there a house rule in effect?

Sarah has 13 attribute points, but is only paying 1pp for each. I thought they're 2pp apiece.

Something similar appears to be happening with Griklik, who has 11 attribute points, and is paying 14pp for some reason.

If it was one or the other, I'd think it might just be a mistake on the part of the player...but since it's both, is there a house rule I missed, or an errata? :) If I'm wrong about attribute price, or if there's something in their builds I just didn't notice, then it could impact my own construction quite a bit. :)

Thanks!

Edit - Also, Darwin appears to be buying skill points for 1pp per skill rank, but it's actually 2 ranks for 1pp, isn't it? Argh, I need my book. :)

Jemal

Adventurer
I can't seem to find my post on Equipment vs Devices, I remember I did relax equipment restrictions somewhat - I AM allowing for more things bought as equipment, provided they'd be Common equipment for the current human tech level, but I'm fairly certain I said stat boosts would be higher tech though not uncommon.
If I'm wrong please point out which post, otherwise please change it to a device (Removable power).

As for Darwin's - Shayuri is right. You have both Attributes (Str, Sta, etc) and Skills at 1 each, but Attributes are actually 2pp per and skills are 1 for two. Your attributes should cost 13 more points (26 total) and your skills should only cost 8 (And you would have 1 extra skill point to spend).

Jemal

Adventurer
Sigh, I've been thinking and after several weeks it seems like the interest in this thread was mostly for debating the universe, not actual interest in playing within it.

I was hoping to have a rather large cast since it's meant to be a roleplay heavy game, but now I'm looking at not even having an average sized one. :( No offense to the three who have maintained interest, you're all great gamers, but I don't feel the game will go as I was hoping with such a small group.
I think I'm going to have to call this game short and see if I can't drum up more interest for another project. You guys will have first dibs if this comes back or in my next game if you're interested.

Remove ads