Recruitment/OOC for Star Trek + Savage Worlds game.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey @Tokell32

I'd favor the first two options, simply because I've been out of touch with the more recent series, so I'm not sure what the mirror universe is. This could however be used as a plot point/backstory for my character, so I'm not to rigid about the first two.

My plan is to generate a character this week-end. I like making characters, so I may do a few, and see which one fits better. Be ready for mistakes, since this will be my first try. FYI, I tried looking for star trek racial templates for Savage Worlds, but couldn't find any, so I'll make the characters as humans, and we'll adjust based on feedback.
Cheers,

SG

Tokell32

Villager
Well lets start planning for the first scenario and if we get interest in something different its easy enough to transition characters or remake them. In terms of Alien Races, I like the idea of sticking to human for now. One of the advantages of Swade is that their 'race builder' is spelled out in the core book. (races are going to end up being about 2 pts of advancement and 2 pts of hinderances roughly but we'll go thru it together).

What common races would people be interested in? The big 4 I presume + Klingon, Orion, Deltans, Edosians and a few others?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've always been fine with playing humans - forces me to concentrate on individual character over racial stereotypes. I'm okay with any setting. Enterprise A is okay by me, though I'd also be very happy with a smaller, made-up ship on its own special mission.

Tokell32

Villager
Well all signs point to the game being set about 2295 (about 2 years after the signing of the first Kitomer Accords) as the Beta Quadrant really starts opening up for peaceable research by the federation but the specter of war still looms.

In terms of Ships, the Enterprise A is one suggestion, but Fitz mentioned some smaller ships/novel ships so I thought I would throw around some ideas.

Akyaki Class Ship, A perimeter action ship
1646056672764.png

Perimeter Action should be read as 'sneaky applied force aka submarine type action' About 210m long, crew of 85 and considered to have top speeds 'as fast as any in the fleet' which I guess can be read as something like Warp 8.9 for whole minutes at a time. This ship would be later enlarged slighty (by about 80 m) to the Akula class. Akyaki has no shuttles (relying on teleporters) and minimal crew.

Alternatively if you were interested in something even smaller. The Scout Vessels of the Archer Class

1646057114147.png

These ships were actually at the end of their service during this time. Two officers, 16 crew members (and 4 bunks to share among them) and the stated design purpose of 'to go "very far, very fast, and not be noticed." They go "to the edge of nowhere and peek behind the curtains." Top Speed of warp 9.4, planetary landing capability (indeed these ships are pretty reminiscent of runabouts). Could be a good fit and I can definitely see them being pressed into 'one last hurrah' or beginning to enter civilian use.

And the much larger Enterprise A of course, I could definitely see some cold war esque tension in the game (now that the klingon's are 'our esteemed allies' but the peace is untested) or we could go with a more classic star trek cruiser.

Lets see some character ideas. Aliens are fine also, Just mostly getting this stuck together so we can begin and adjusting things as its looking like it will be the three of us (although more people are always welcome).

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hi there,

I like the idea of a Scout Vessels of the Archer Class, with the 2 officers being the PCs, but I'm open to anything.
I was earnestly planning to do some characters this week-end, but contractions started and my mind wasn't focused on RPGs ;-)

I have some ideas in mind, and bear with me since I still need to make sure I understand the system.

Here they are:
1) Empath type: Hindrances; Code of honor (major), Arrogant (normally major but I'm going to tone it down so its minor), outsider (minor); Edges: Arcane background (super power - psionically oriented (trying to avoid the major downside, otherwise I'd pick psion)), beast master, extra power. I'd love for him to have one of those weird klingon dogs ;-) maybe he was involved in the Kitomer negotiations
2) Pilot type: Hindrances: Heroic (major), Code of Honor (Major toned down to minor), Delusional (minor - thinks he's lucky and pushes his luck), Edges: ace, alertness, danger sense
3) Technical spy : hindrances TBD , edges: McGyver, Thief, marksman
4) Engineer type : hindrances TBD , edges: Gadgeteer, Mr Fix it, Arcane background (weird science)

I love doing characters, so I'm likely going to fiddle with these concepts, make characters, and pick the one (or those) that I prefer.
Any of these you prefer @Tokell32?

Cheers,

SG

Tokell32

Villager
Hi there,

I like the idea of a Scout Vessels of the Archer Class, with the 2 officers being the PCs, but I'm open to anything.
I was earnestly planning to do some characters this week-end, but contractions started and my mind wasn't focused on RPGs ;-)

I have some ideas in mind, and bear with me since I still need to make sure I understand the system.

Here they are:
1) Empath type: Hindrances; Code of honor (major), Arrogant (normally major but I'm going to tone it down so its minor), outsider (minor); Edges: Arcane background (super power - psionically oriented (trying to avoid the major downside, otherwise I'd pick psion)), beast master, extra power. I'd love for him to have one of those weird klingon dogs ;-) maybe he was involved in the Kitomer negotiations
2) Pilot type: Hindrances: Heroic (major), Code of Honor (Major toned down to minor), Delusional (minor - thinks he's lucky and pushes his luck), Edges: ace, alertness, danger sense
3) Technical spy : hindrances TBD , edges: McGyver, Thief, marksman
4) Engineer type : hindrances TBD , edges: Gadgeteer, Mr Fix it, Arcane background (weird science)

I love doing characters, so I'm likely going to fiddle with these concepts, make characters, and pick the one (or those) that I prefer.
Any of these you prefer @Tokell32?

Cheers,

SG

The only one that concerns me a little is Weird Science out of the lot. It would have to be something 'over and above the technology level' to require that edge. It can be done, it sort of fits that engineering niche but weird science isn't engineering (aka you can't replicate weird devices, they only work for you , whatever trapping you choose , etc). I'm so so on it, I don't really want to have to give all my engineers weird science but it sort of fits. I'm prepared to hear a character pitch on it.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
The only one that concerns me a little is Weird Science out of the lot. It would have to be something 'over and above the technology level' to require that edge. It can be done, it sort of fits that engineering niche but weird science isn't engineering (aka you can't replicate weird devices, they only work for you , whatever trapping you choose , etc). I'm so so on it, I don't really want to have to give all my engineers weird science but it sort of fits. I'm prepared to hear a character pitch on it.
Hey, thanks for the feedback.
I'm really not stuck on the weird science. Its true that the tech level is so high that it may actually be redundant, especially given the powers listed in the free stuff available online. I liked the Mr Fix it edge, and it required the weird science one, but no worries.

Any thoughts about the Superhero edge vs psion for psionic ability? I was thinking of powers that make sense in Star Trek: Beast Friend, Mind Reading, and Speak Language (Telepathy trapping if ok with you - we'll have to agree on a range). I'd prefer psion for the 3 powers, but find that the brainburn penalty is kinda nuts for the benefits of the powers. Worst comes to worst I'd consider superpowers and take 2 additional edges: extra powers to get Beast Friend, Mind Reading, and telepathy (for a total of 3). It'd be nice if the telepathy at short range could be free, or maybe if communicating with another telepath, it becomes free. What do you think?

Cheers,

SG

FitzTheRuke

Legend
oh, and let me know if some or these are close to some concepts you wanted to play @FitzTheRuke !

I'm happy to let you build a bunch of characters and I'll one or two (whoever you like) and play them! When I don't know a system, I'd rather play pregens (or in this case otherplayergens) anyhow.

Archer Class Scout ship where we play one or two primary characters each and roleplay some secondary crew as well would make me very happy.

Remove ads