• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamma World Plant Origin Question?

Mentat55

First Post
Actually, two other origins have negatives. Seismics get a -1 penalty to speed, and Rat Swarms are vulnerable 5 to area and close attacks.

That being said, I'm not sure the Plant origin's traits or powers really make up for it. So yeah, not one of the best origins.

Wik

First Post
Bovine's got the gist of it. It's absolutely not about game balance, and all about random chance and fun. It's a gamma world TRADITION that some origin types are better than others.... too bad you can't pick which one you want, eh?

And therein lies the "balance" - since random chance is entirely responsible for your origin type, it is perfectly understandable and feasible that some would be better than others. Players have no choice over which origin they get, so we don't ever see all the players picking that one, "best" origin or combo.

For what it's worth, I enjoy playing plant origins.

the Jester

Legend
As a side note, I ran my first game of the new GW over Thanksgiving... it was short and sweet (2 pcs, 1 encounter, some roleplaying). We had a cockroach plant (SEE? THIS POST IS ON TOPIC!) and a giant doppelganger. It was awesome fun- they were undergoing their test of adulthood, which involved going to the mall and bringing something back as proof. They had to talk their way past a group of badders guarding a bridge and then fight the mall's security robots. Awesome fun!

mikeef

First Post
Plant Origin

If you only look at the traits, the plant seems weaker than the other origins, but I think the novice power balances the origin. Arachnoid - Plant would be a fun combination to play, just think of the webs as poisonous vines.

yarnperson

First Post
Actually, two other origins have negatives. Seismics get a -1 penalty to speed, and Rat Swarms are vulnerable 5 to area and close attacks.

Seismic comes with resist 5 physical, the most common type of damage. It does not however have a +2 to a defense. But the resist pretty much makes up for it.

The Rat swarm not only has resist 5 melee/ranged as part of the swarmy-ness, but they have a second trait that makes them not able to be knocked prone.

Plants, where everyone else has a kinda nifty thing that makes them unique, they get what almost equates to vulnerability 5 fire. That's it. They could have SOMETHING else to help make up for this;
Don't need food, just water and sunlight.
Aura 1 of difficult terrain to enemies
Take half level damage to heal an adjacent ally one level.
Can be pushed, pulled, or slid when second winding.
Blind vision / tremor sense
An At-will instead of an encounter.
ANYTHING!

As a GM, I let anyone who rolls plant to roll again if they want. As a player, I be as reckless as possible until the plant dies, and I get to re-roll. I fully agree, completely under-powered.

You can say that Gamma World is not about balance. It's true. There are some great origins out there. Demons have a minor at-will attack/teleport.
AI's are less dazed and stunned. Reanimated regenerator would heal 1.5 level +1 hp a round and you could start at 30 HP. There are also some that don't really shine. But the whole point is, when it comes to origins, there's a few great, many good, some okay, and ONE bad.
Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but it needed to be said.

Remove ads