• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gargantuan Orcus at GenCon

Mercule

Adventurer
The fig looks pretty cool. My one issue is that it doesn't look so much like he's roaring as he has a severe overbite and is whining. I hope that's just the angle of the picture, though.

lrsach01

Explorer
I was hearing from the Minis people that Orcus will not be made. It ended up being too expensive to make or some such excuse. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I didn't even see that display in the Wizards booth this year. It was always way too crowded. Sticking WotC in the corner first struck me as funny (They've been baaad), but then as just annoying because they're always crowded but this year, 1/2 of their booth is against a wall. I hated going there for any reason because there were always a million and one kids shoving against you at any one time trying to crowd into the demo tables.

JediSoth

Glyfair

Explorer
lrsach01 said:
I was hearing from the Minis people that Orcus will not be made. It ended up being too expensive to make or some such excuse. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

Lidda's comments above seem to contradict this. I suspect it's somewhere in the middle. It's too expensive, so they are holding up until they can address that problem in some way.

Treebore

First Post
Glyfair said:
The buzz on the minis forums says that it probably won't be sold. They ran the production numbers and the found the price they'd have to use was too high.

All the more reason to preorder. Its obvious the WOTC lady who posted about this believes its going to be done. So if the rumor is true about the price point, but not being made, then the $40 is going to be an excellent price.

Hmmm. I think I'll go pre-order right now.

Glyfair

Explorer
Some tidbits about it from Chris Perkins' blog:

One of the things people noticed at Gen Con was the Gargantuan Orcus miniature on display next to the D&D Delve in the Wizards booth. Hopefully we can get him into a 2008 minis product. I can't tell you how nice it is to final get Orcus back in the Monster Manual. (For those who don't know, "Orcus" was the code-word for 4th Edition.)

In case you're wondering, Asmodeus won't be joining Orcus in the new MM because, as I previously hinted, the Lord of the Ninth is getting a promotion to god status in 4E. His holy (unholy?) symbol will be among those appearing in the Player's Handbook. I'm thinking we should get rub-on tattoos of the various holy symbols in time for next year's show. lol Also, I'm thinking how much fun it would be if R&D folks, myself included, actually ran some 4E D&D game sessions next year at Gen Con.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
It looks ok, but I won't be buying one. It just wouldn't see enough/any use in my game and I'm not paying that much to just use it as a display piece. I'm sure it will be very popular though.

Olaf the Stout

Just think of the player intimidation factor if you put that on your miniature shelf behind your DM screen! That alone might make it worth it! I can have Orcus on one side and the super-colossal red dragon from last year on the other.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
JediSoth said:
I didn't even see that display in the Wizards booth this year. It was always way too crowded. Sticking WotC in the corner first struck me as funny (They've been baaad), but then as just annoying because they're always crowded but this year, 1/2 of their booth is against a wall. I hated going there for any reason because there were always a million and one kids shoving against you at any one time trying to crowd into the demo tables.

JediSoth

We couldn't convince GenCon to let us lower the lights in the middle of the hall. Because of all the AV stuff (projectors, flat screens etc) we had we decided to be in the corner where we could lower the lights to project stuff.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
lrsach01 said:

We know we can get the price to a good point as long as the quantities are right. As it stands right now it does not look like we could sell enough to make that work. We were showing it off a GenCon to drum up support.

Remove ads