• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

sfgray

Explorer
Like I'm guessing is true for pretty much everyone posting here, Gary's work changed my life.

As I suspect is secretly true for a smaller number of us, Gary's work saved my life.

I'm one of those fortunate enough to have had the chance to follow professionally in the footsteps of Gary and the other giants who built this hobby, this game, this shared world of imagination. When I do so, every word I write, every assessment and adjustment I make as an editor is built on the singular memory of sitting in a darkened bedroom on a winter night in 1981, opening a thin paperback volume with a dragon in blue on the cover, and having my life changed.

Everything I do in this industry is built around the vain hope that somewhere, sometime, a 15-year-old kid will read something I've worked on and feel what I felt that night.

From the AD&D Players Handbook:

"Enjoy, for this game is what dreams are made of!"

See you in dreams, Gary.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
The man brought me hundreds of hours of fun. I'm going to roll a 12d20 salute at the beginning of the next game I sit down for.

RIP Gary.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Not much else to say, after all that others have said. I'm glad to have asked him about gaming with me kids, and for the advice he gave.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I cannot begin to count the number of hours of enjoyment this man's work brought to me and my fellows. I wish his loved ones peace in equal measure.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Suddenly the joy of having gotten to play in a game with Mr. Gygax in the DM's chair at this past GEN CON means all that much more to me, knowing now it was his last GEN CON.

I remember the shock I felt when I read in Dragon mag about his departure from TSR back in the 80s, and while I generally try not to feel too sad when an older person with failing health passes on (I mean, we should all be so lucky to have a full and long life), I can't help but think about that day and how in retrospect it is but a tiny echo of the loss I feel today.

modsngary.jpg

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
From Greyhawk

-Throughout the Realm of Greyhawk..every being that exist there...feels a unexplained sadness, and in that moment...pauses to acknowledge the passing of a greatness not known immediately to them personally. But it feels related none the less.

It will last for quite a while...then later, all previous actions or journeys are continued.

Only one will speak...and the words are spoken with deep respect.-

"We are diminished...by one"

Nerull.

Mercule

Adventurer
Wow. I had a couple of chances to meet him, but something always seemed to come up at the last minute. I thought, "Eh, next time." Now there won't be one.

I wish his family peace and condolences.

rkwoodard

First Post
a debt of friendship

Hi,
I owe Mr. Gygax a debt of friendship. While I never met him, I have 5 friendships that are over 20 years old that only exist because of D&D.

So thank you Sir, and God Speed,

RK

Gryffyn

First Post
Gary Gygax single-handedly brought me into gaming in 1980. The AD&D Player's Handbook was the first game book I ever read that didn't speak down to me. I was 12. I'm 40 now. Thanks for 28 years of pleasant pasttime, Gary. Rest in peace.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads