• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

Matt Black

First Post
Gary, you not-so-indirectly gave me some of the most precious friends and precious moments of my life. And I know this is true of many, many people whose lives were touched by this strange little hobby. You changed the world for the better.

Celebrim

Legend
When he turns in his character sheet to the great judge in the sky, may he hear, "Well played."

Perhaps there is an apprenticeship waiting up there in the department of universe building.

xmanii

Explorer
Thanks Gary, for bringing D&D into my life which has brought me untold amounts of joy.

My condolences to his family.

Dirigible

Explorer
I knew him only by his works, but those works and their derivatives and descendants have brought me more hours of entertainment than anything else I can think of.

My condolences to Gary's family and friends.

In addition to being the most creative person I've ever had the privilege of talking with, Gary was a true gentleman. On this site, he treated all his fans as equals (he referred to himself as just another gamer) and he patiently, respectfully answered all the thousands of questions that were asked of him here.

He will be missed, but he will not be forgotten.

William Ronald

Explorer
Let us pause and be grateful for Gary Gygax, who with Dave Arneson and many others, breathed life into a hobby that has introduced me to many friends and wonderful people throughout the years. From three little books, to the World of Greyhawk products, and so many others, I feel as if I have come to know the man a little from his work.

I met Gary Gygax once outside of the old MECCA complex in Milwaukee during Gen Con. Some friends and I chatted with him for a few minutes and urged him to come back to writing game products. (This was shortly after Wizards of the Coast acquired TSR.) I was glad to see that he did come back to writing for the hobby that he loved. I also saw and chatted with Gary a few times over the years at different Gen Cons siince then. I have not been to Gen Con in years, but it will feel odd the next time I go knowing that he will not be there.

May the family and friends of Gary Gygax be comforted as they mourn. Gary's work will continue to inspire others and bring people together around the gaming table. I think Gary would be happy to know that his work is still bringing together to have fun.

Remove ads