Gary Gygax' The Hermit

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[IMAGER]http://www.rpgnow.com/products/product_2683.jpg[/IMAGER]Gary Gygax's The Hermit has been released at RPGNow by Troll Lord Games.
[bq]King Nupathurva, called "the Shrewd," has sound reason to be angry. Lodash, one of the lands most reknowned Sages, has wandered into the Vorelberg Mountains, this of his own accord. In refusing the King's summons, he worries the monarch overly much and threatens his rule by his defiance. Now, you must find the reluctant hermit and bring him to heel, this or suffer the wrath of the King!

One of Gygax’s most original adventure modules. The Hermit leads the adventuring party on a wildly unique journey, complete with a maze, riddles, deadly traps, clever and dangerous monsters and it all ends in a world turned on its head. This is classic play at its best.

If you’ve run Gygax adventures before and want the experience again, The Hermit is for you. If you’ve never experienced a Gygax adventure you’ll definitely want to sit in on this one. Written by Gary Gygax for the d20 and Lejendary Adventure Game systems. The Hermit is best suited for mid-level adventuring parties, but is also designed to be user friendly for those DMs who wish to run the game at higher or lower levels. [/bq]

darjr

I crit!
This is a post from 19 years ago, BTW. The links etc. are all expired.
It comes up in a google search for the hermit.

Second link for me, but it’s probably what Google thinks I want to see, and they’d be right!

Still that’s pretty high and I imagine it might be for others.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Kickstarter for the hermit is live now.
These are not the old school vibes I had been anticipating:
Troll Lords said:
Once each year the annual summit of wise men and sages attends the King, who this year has designs on greater lands around him. But he is wroth, for the most able of all, the sage Lodash the Lonely, has not answered the royal summons. In the past, this reclusive wise man has always obeyed. The King is in a fury, for, at this most critical juncture, the ancient hermit seems to be defying the king’s will.

“How tiresome, these wars of the King have grown.” With these words, or something similar, depending on who in court you listen to, Lodash the Lonely set off to the mountains in the east. He was last seen, books under arm, staff in hand, beard bound in iron, wrapped in a snug, well-worn travel cloak, and a pack with food and bed roll on his back, headed up the long trail into the snow-capped mountains.

None have seen him since.

As advisor to the King, it is not Lodash’s role or place to determine which wars are tiresome or which are necessary. His is to be on hand with good graces and better counsel.

Messages are sent to his various hermitages but none return. Others range out, trying to follow his trail, but they come back empty-handed. Through scrying and divination, various practitioners of the Divinatory & Extraordinary Arts promise that he does live, but his location is hidden buy some sort of eldritch power.

A king’s ransom is promised to those who seek out the Hermit, find him, and bring him to the King!
Wild to see an adventure being published in 2024 based on the divine right of kings to order his advisors to advise him on unjust wars. It's definitely the kind of thing EGG would have encountered in fantasy fiction when he was growing up, though.

And in true Troll Lords fashion, there are typos on their Kickstarter page and the description of funding levels for the book doesn't actually match the choices available. Never change, guys! 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads