• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gauging Interest: Return to Keep on the Borderlands

mfrench

First Post
To be honest, I know exactly zero about psionics in 3rd ed. How complicated would a 1st level psion be? And how would you expect his abilities to interact with magic?

LesserSky

First Post
mfrench said:
Ask about specific feats, I'll let you know. The luck feats can be tricky on PbP when they relate to saves, as I might need to roll them for you sometimes.

In my brief experience with them, the skill tricks were hit-or-miss; I would just need a chance to review the ones you're interested in

I am interested in starting the first level rogue with the lucky finger feat. Since I'd have to choose whether to use the re-roll before the success or failure of the check is revealed it shouldn't cause any delays. In fact it would seem to work well on PbP. If I don't like the die roll, I'd simply reroll.

My first level rogue would not be able to meet any the prerequisites for any skill tricks, but second level he would be looking at taking either clever improvisor or hidden blade.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Okay I got it....... a dwarven *drumroll* druid!! I just like the concept, it's alittle bit odd, but seems fun! I'm not sure about his animal companion though.

Max

First Post
I'd be up for a core 3.5 game. To be honest, I avoid most D&D games, as I can't keep up with all the variant options out there. How about a barbarian (human or half-orc most likely) to provide some brute force for the group? As a fall back, I like playing clerics if we need more healing power than a druid can provide.

Max

mfrench

First Post
With three roguish guys (the PCs, not the players), I'd just worry about so many people with trapfinding and that overlap. A few questions and suggestions:

I'm fine with three rogues as long as they agree not to get fed up and backstab each other. There are just so many mechanical options to fit the concepts, it seems like we can work it out without anybody feeling short-changed.

For the Martial Rogue, would he be built on ranged or melee combat? If melee, are you interested in the swashbuckler?

For the halfling thrower, do you have your heart set on rogue? It can be tough to consistently sneak attack with ranged weapons at low level. Could the concept still work with him as a ranger, fighter, or bard? The Ranger Combat feats would work as long as he had Quick Draw. I'd be happy giving everyone an extra feat at 1st level so that you could take that and pull this concept off.

Max, I'm digging the barbarian, but cleric will be the back-up plan.

The straight rogue and wizard should be fine.

Only, a dwarven druid is great. Is he an underground, stone-worshipping type, or an against-the-grain, trees-and-animals type? Either one is fine.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
mfrench said:
For the Martial Rogue, would he be built on ranged or melee combat? If melee, are you interested in the swashbuckler?
Melee; not interested in the swashbuckler. Conceptually, I'm considering dual classing between the rogue and ranger.

Last edited:

LesserSky

First Post
mfrench said:
I'm fine with three rogues as long as they agree not to get fed up and backstab each other. There are just so many mechanical options to fit the concepts, it seems like we can work it out without anybody feeling short-changed

Well, I was looking more at the skillful side of the rogue. If you wanted to differentiate the characters a little, I would be willing to play a factotum. Of course that is deviating a bit from core only. If you decide not to allow it, it is not a great problem.

Remove ads