Gavin Norman on the future of OSE

overgeeked

B/X Known World
“As you may have heard, Wizards of the Coast is poised to release a new version of the Open Game License (v1.1). Parts of the license have been leaked online and it appears that Wizards' intent is to revoke the current version of the OGL, forcing creators to adopt the new version. Whether this is actually legal for them to do, under the terms of the license, is open to interpretation.

A huge number of games, including our own Old-School Essentials, are founded on the Open Game License. If that license were revoked, such games would be in jeopardy. The leaked version of the new OGL includes some extremely unappealing terms, most notably granting Wizards a "nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, sub-licensable, royalty-free license" to use content released under the OGL "for any purpose".

Needless to say, we are making various contingency plans in anticipation of the official release of the new OGL. Once the official release happens and we've had time to fully digest its implications, we will announce any possible alterations to our publication schedule.”

The Dolmenwood setting book was supposed to be kickstarted this year. I was on the NG patreon and so I have bits and pieces of it, and was running a campaign in it. It's really fantastically well done and it would be a shame if the rug was pulled out from under it, especially as it seems close to completion. It's a worthwhile setting even if you don't particularly like "old school" style dungeon play.

Burt Baccara

Explorer
This begs two questions:

1. Can a publisher even revoke the OGL for their own work?
  2. Wizards of the Coast carefully attaches the OGL to an SDR and not the published books. In fact, WotC makes sure to note in 3.5 and 5e books that those works contain no open game content. Have game designers and publishers opened more content than they may have intended by attaching the OGL in the back of their books?

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
  1. Can a publisher even revoke the OGL for their own work?
  2. Wizards of the Coast carefully attaches the OGL to an SDR and not the published books. In fact, WotC makes sure to note in 3.5 and 5e books that those works contain no open game content. Have game designers and publishers opened more content than they may have intended by attaching the OGL in the back of their books?

Open Game Content only means something while the OGL exists. If WotC can revoke the OGL v1.0 (and if it's true that the OGL v1.1 only talks about "Licensed Content" but doesn't discuss "Open Game Content"), then it doesn't really matter what publishers have designated as OGC; WotC will have rendered the very concept moot.

But under the terms of the OGL v1.0? No, once something is open, it's open forever, available for anyone else to use in conjunction with the OGL v1.0.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I’ve gone into full on panic buying mode and ordered all the books on the OSE site that I don’t have already. I’m open to recommendations, especially for higher level dungeons.
Maybe all this open license drama is a conspiracy by TTPs to start 2023 in the black.~

;-)

Remove ads