Gay Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As expected, after the SCOTUS decision on gay marriage, the fight continues.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/..._houston_lgbt_rights_ordinance_in_danger.html

To sum up: Houston tried to pass a LBGT protection ordinance covering things like employment, city contracts, etc. Opponents started a petition to put it to a referendum. They got the requisite signatures, but an investigation revealed that enough of the signatures were bogus/forgeries that the petition didn't satisfy the legal requirements to satisfy being out on a ballot.

Then the TxSupCt decided that the legislation still needed to be put to a referendum, despite not having cleared the legal hurdle of having X number of legal signatures.

That's right, the TxSupCt ignored an explicit, neutral and clear law in order to let a challenge to this law go forward.

Why did they do so?

Because judges are elected here in Texas. Those justices want to keep their jobs. Even if they were more moderate or centrist or liberal types, the fact that they'll have to go before the public at some point and defend themselves to retain their seats politicizes their decision making process beyond mere membership in one party or another.

Crap like this is why the country's Founding Fathers opted for an UNELECTED judiciary. It helps maintain their objectivity...or at least minimizes the polarizing effects of an electioneering process on legal reasoning.

Remember that some time when some- like several of the current GOP presidential hopefuls- talk about making the SCOTUS and other federal judges into elected officials...

Ryujin

Legend
As expected, after the SCOTUS decision on gay marriage, the fight continues.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/..._houston_lgbt_rights_ordinance_in_danger.html

To sum up: Houston tried to pass a LBGT protection ordinance covering things like employment, city contracts, etc. Opponents started a petition to put it to a referendum. They got the requisite signatures, but an investigation revealed that enough of the signatures were bogus/forgeries that the petition didn't satisfy the legal requirements to satisfy being out on a ballot.

Then the TxSupCt decided that the legislation still needed to be put to a referendum, despite not having cleared the legal hurdle of having X number of legal signatures.

That's right, the TxSupCt ignored an explicit, neutral and clear law in order to let a challenge to this law go forward.

Why did they do so?

Because judges are elected here in Texas. Those justices want to keep their jobs. Even if they were more moderate or centrist or liberal types, the fact that they'll have to go before the public at some point and defend themselves to retain their seats politicizes their decision making process beyond mere membership in one party or another.

Crap like this is why the country's Founding Fathers opted for an UNELECTED judiciary. It helps maintain their objectivity...or at least minimizes the polarizing effects of an electioneering process on legal reasoning.

Remember that some time when some- like several of the current GOP presidential hopefuls- talk about making the SCOTUS and other federal judges into elected officials...

Makes me glad that all of our judges are appointed. In a recent debate in which my opponent made a comment about how those "damned liberal judges" had struck down a law passed by the Conservative government, I had to point out that the majority of those judges were, in fact, Conservative appointees.

And humans are never, ever deceived by what the perceive to be a pattern? Since I fit the pattern, you have decided my motivation. Unfortunately, you are incorrect in this case.

Its not all about you. Have you been doing the Westboro Two Step that I explicitly pointed out as illustrative of #NotAllChristians? No. Has someone else on this thread illustrated it perfectly? Yes. #NotAllChristians is frequently appropriate in conversations like this thread and is being demonstrated in this thread. You were getting the full expansion because you were saying that the term itself was invalid. No, you personally haven't demonstrated #NotAllChristians. You haven't brought up the Westboro Baptist Church to deflect attention and then claimed that pointing out the actual behaviour of actual Christian leaders of all the largest groups amounted to bashing.

I will make this request only once - please stop telling me why I say things. Don't make Charisma your dump stat.

And I will make the following request only once. Please actually respond to what I am saying rather than what you imagine me to be saying and making strawmen by doing so. Don't make Wisdom your dump stat.

In recent days you've twice attempted to correct me through pedantry (once on this thread by your comments about the exception proving the rule and once about the meaning of exponential) - and in both cases I have demonstrated I meant exactly what I said and it was factually accurate to do so. Pedantry in the first place is generally a failed Cha check - and incorrect pedantry a failed Int check. A third time in about the past week you seem to have had a problem with the idea I might be saying what I meant and my deliberate illustrations that I didn't mean more meant I must be insinuating malice precisely because I said I wasn't.

That tells us *how* they came to change, but doesn't tell us *why* they changed. Why is the ECUSA "liberal", while the CoE is more "conservative"? I'm asking about root cause, here.

And I have been pointing out for several posts now that the premise of this is invalid. The ECUSA is not socially liberal when you put it against the backdrop of mainstream American society. The ECUSA is not leading so much as it is taking its moral cues from the surrounding society. Indeed it is socially slightly conservative by the standards of mainstream society.

Now, the correct question to ask is "Why is the ECUSA taking its cues from mainstream American society while the CofE is taking its cues from itself?"

And the answer to that is that the ECUSA is not a major denomination. (Which is where my correction to your illustration comes in). The ECUSA claims that it had 1.55 million communicant members in 2013 - or approximately 0.5% of the population of the USA (and this includes lapsed members who were confirmed as a teenager but haven't darkened church doors in years). It's certainly not a major denomination by numbers. Further it doesn't have a Salt Lake City style heartland or many Megachurches (Wikipedia claims it has one) that make it a major denomination in a specific region. This means that almost all American Episcopalians know many more non-Episcopalians than they do Episcopalians so most of them take their cues from the society they know.

Or to put it simply, by being such a small denomination (the numbers aren't directly comparable, but in North America, the Unitarians may be bigger and given relative reporting dates so might the Jehovas' Witnesses) the Episcopalians don't have a critical mass in America. Which means that in the absence of a specific doctrinal/societal push they float towards the centre of America rather than feed back into themselves.

Of course the waters are muddied by the historic disproportionate influence of the Episcopalian Church and the fact that it's frequently used as a bridge by Christians who reject Christian Shibboleths.

Oh, well, that's simple. I reject the premise. Christianity isn't morally good.

Fair enough. I'm not sure even if you are a Christian - but if you are, what is the point of Christianity if it doesn't lead to goodness?

Moreover, large organizations are powerful, but typically slow and clumsy tools, They have inertia, especially when their definition is partly based on following tradition. We would expect them to generally lag behind the environments they come from. It may well be that the organization *must* lag behind the environment - organizations don't lead.

On the other hand organisations can encourage certain practices. It surprises a lot of people to discover that the late Archbishop Ramsay (Archbishop of Canterbury 1961 - 1974) was a major advocate for the decriminalisation of homosexuality and used his platform to push this. How different from today. (IMO Archbishop Runcie's approach of "nailing his colours firmly to the fence" was preferable to any of his three successors).

Organisations don't lead, but the people in charge of them do. Or they can behave like anchors.

We may be seeing this with the Catholic Church now, with Pope Francis. It is very clearly he who is leading, not the church as a whole.

Pope Francis is very clearly at odds with the Curia. That's a different story - I'm not sure whether he's leading or playing catchup with respect to the Catholic in the pew to stop the haemoherrage in Europe and America. He's also not actually changing any doctrine; what he represents is more of a change of emphasis from "We should condemn these people ... and treat the poor well when we have time" to "We should treat the poor well and condemn these people." It's a welcome change of emphasis, granted. But the changes in doctrine are minimal.

As Danny has noted - many Catholics do not know their Augustine. Perhaps in the CofE, it is given lip service more than actual practice? Then, why? What's the difference between the organizations?

Most Christians don't know much theology and are far more likely to folow those of people teaching than their own guesses. But a huge difference is that in America the Episcopalian Church claims 2 million baptised members. In Britain the Church of England claims 26 million baptised members, and has a central organisation and free seats in the House of Lords. Which, especially allowing for local variation, allows many more feedback loops. As I said, major denomination. In England the CofE is one.

(Before you mention various other groups, major denomination is far from the only toggle here. It's just one of the few that gets turned on by default).

MechaPilot

Explorer
So who do people think does represent Christians? In short the people who represent Christians.

If you're going to talk about people who represent Christians though, don't forget Pope Francis who said (I'm paraphrasing because I don't feel like looking up the quote) "If a man is gay and has goodwill and seeks the Lord, who am I to judge?"

If you're going to talk about people who represent Christians though, don't forget Pope Francis who said (I'm paraphrasing because I don't feel like looking up the quote) "If a man is gay and has goodwill and seeks the Lord, who am I to judge?"

I haven't forgotten Pope Francis who has on different occasions described gay marriage and the work of the devil and a destructive attack on God's plan and that same-sex marriage threatens the family and disfigures God's plan for creation. His line is so far as I can tell a polite version of the textbook "It's OK to be gay as long as you remain closeted and never actually act on anything" with good PR behind him. And even that approach gets overruled.

The difference between the doctrines of Francis I and Benedict XVI are surprisingly minor - and both entirely consistent with the catechism as it exists. It's simply that the existing doctrines emphasised by Francis I are some of the better ones rather than some of the worse.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I haven't forgotten Pope Francis who has on different occasions described gay marriage and the work of the devil and a destructive attack on God's plan and that same-sex marriage threatens the family and disfigures God's plan for creation. His line is so far as I can tell a polite version of the textbook "It's OK to be gay as long as you remain closeted and never actually act on anything" with good PR behind him. And even that approach gets overruled.

The difference between the doctrines of Francis I and Benedict XVI are surprisingly minor - and both entirely consistent with the catechism as it exists. It's simply that the existing doctrines emphasised by Francis I are some of the better ones rather than some of the worse.

If your point is that an organization doesn't immediately fall in line behind its leader when the leader challenges the status quo, I think that point is rather obvious.

Equally obvious is that change doesn't come easily to large organizations with weighty traditions behind them, and that the pope (who is just a man and not actually infallible) can falter in doing what is right just as anyone else can.

I heard a homily a couple of months ago from a priest who talked about going to a meeting of local social (LGBT and minority activists) and religious leaders (the priest, a rabbi, and an imam). He recounted that the meeting allowed them to get to know each other fairly well and discuss important issues affecting the various members of that region. Afterward, the LGBT activist told the priest that he had felt more welcomed by the religious leaders at that meeting than he did at his own church. The priest related that he was shocked by this. His frame of reference was so different that he had never considered how unwelcoming the Catholic church could be to some people. I mention this not as an absolution for all Catholics, but to relate that there are likely many everyday religious persons who don't realize how unwelcome others feel by their respective religious institutions, and that many members of religious institutions may not truly understand the people who are put down by archaic items of faith.

If your point is that an organization doesn't immediately fall in line behind its leader when the leader challenges the status quo, I think that point is rather obvious.

No. My point is that Francis 1 isn't anything like the progressive he is frequently portrayed as being. His differences from Benedict XVI are which parts of the doctrine to emphasise rather than attempts to change doctrine.

MechaPilot

Explorer
No. My point is that Francis 1 isn't anything like the progressive he is frequently portrayed as being. His differences from Benedict XVI are which parts of the doctrine to emphasise rather than attempts to change doctrine.

Emphasis can be the first step on the road to change.

Emphasis can be the first step on the road to change.

Oh, indeed. As I've also said frequently, the shift in emphasis is important. It's just significantly oversold, and the "It's OK to be gay as long as you sit down, shut up, stay in the closet, and don't talk about it" that Francis 1 seems to advocate would appear to be moving the Roman Catholic Church approximately from the 1940s to the 1960s. And still in line with my comments about the Roman Catholic Church.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Oh, indeed. As I've also said frequently, the shift in emphasis is important. It's just significantly oversold, and the "It's OK to be gay as long as you sit down, shut up, stay in the closet, and don't talk about it" that Francis 1 seems to advocate would appear to be moving the Roman Catholic Church approximately from the 1940s to the 1960s. And still in line with my comments about the Roman Catholic Church.

It's a little bit more than that.

The pope's line about who is he to judge someone who is gay, has goodwill, and seeks the Lord, leaves out any reference to having to stay celibate or closeted. The pope is basically overturning the archaic article of faith that gays are going to hell for being gay. The church certainly won't adopt that philosophy immediately, and there's no guarantee they ever will, but that statement by the head of the Catholic church is very significant.

It also calls back to a church philosophy that people aren't automatically going to hell because they were born and died before Christ was born, that as long as they lived a good and godly life they will not be condemned simply because they were born in the year 1000 B.C.E. This philosophy is itself also very significant because it means you don't have to follow all the little BS man-made rules of a man-made organization to be seen as righteous by God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads