• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Gear-Dependent Classes

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
A bigger share? No. A better remedy is to skew the content of the loot found. Include more gear that could be useful to the more gear-dependent classes in the treasure hoards.

That was one of 1e's solution to offer some balance between magic-users and virtually every other class. On the random treasure tables, the most common things found were consumables (potions and scrolls), but after that weapons and armor were substantially more common than wands, bracers of armor, or virtually anything else of special utility for magic-users. When 3e's focus on monetary value for magic, easy magic item creation for spellcasters, and overall magic item economy rolled around, this method of balance between martial and spellcaster classes wasn't just modified a little, it was inverted and game balance between classes suffered... badly.

Stalker0

Legend
To me the only magic item dependency is the +1 weapon.

It’s not required but at mid to high levels has a lot of monsters with resistance to non magic weapons. So fighters will do a lot less.

So I would want all the martial types to have +1 weapons of magic items are in the game. Beyond that...I really don’t think it’s a big deal

ad_hoc

(they/them)
D&D is a role playing game. Characters play a role in a story. In terms of deciding how loot that was found is split amongst the party, that is an in game and in character decision that should not be based upon mechanics. It should be based upon character.

When the party finds +3 platemail, the party rogue might very well say that he deserves to have it so that he can sell it! Or the wizard might want it to use for magical research.

In terms of what the DM should do when adding treasure to the game, it should entirely be done in a way that serves the story and will create the most fun for the players. Maybe that means hand selecting only items for which the PCs have a direct use. Maybe it is putting in an item that an NPC wants, but the PCs can trade for something they want. Maybe it is adding items for which the PCs can find novel uses. Maybe it should just be random so as to create a story that feels less controlled. The DM needs to decide what best serves the PCs.

Story first.

I would think the characters would care a lot about staying alive. My table quickly learned to use loot to help the part survive. It doesn't matter how much stuff people have as long as it is being used by the best character.

A story of selfish and foolish characters is a short one.

jasper

Rotten DM
No joke Syntallah just group jargon. Party Kitty, aka group bank. $Loot /(# pcs +1) = $amt in group funds. Group funds can be use to help pay for things when a pc funds is too low.

Remove ads