• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Gear-Dependent Classes

Bupp

Adventurer
Speaking of the "group loot" mentioned above, my group of three players divide cash loot into four shares. Each character gets a share, and the last share stays as group loot.

They use it to buy healing potions, pay for inns, rations, ammo, and most other consumables. It's been also been used for bribes and any other costs that come up during the game.

jgsugden

Legend
D&D is a role playing game. Characters play a role in a story. In terms of deciding how loot that was found is split amongst the party, that is an in game and in character decision that should not be based upon mechanics. It should be based upon character.

When the party finds +3 platemail, the party rogue might very well say that he deserves to have it so that he can sell it! Or the wizard might want it to use for magical research.

In terms of what the DM should do when adding treasure to the game, it should entirely be done in a way that serves the story and will create the most fun for the players. Maybe that means hand selecting only items for which the PCs have a direct use. Maybe it is putting in an item that an NPC wants, but the PCs can trade for something they want. Maybe it is adding items for which the PCs can find novel uses. Maybe it should just be random so as to create a story that feels less controlled. The DM needs to decide what best serves the PCs.

Story first.

Gadget

Adventurer
I think 5e is less gear dependent than almost all of its predecessors, but some classes may still be slightly more gear dependent than others. Wizards still need spell books, warriors may need magic weapons to reach their full potential, etc.

I suppose that when it comes to simple gold distribution, classes with heavy armor could have some claim for extra, since no one else can use mundane gear as expensive as full plate. But once that is paid for, I don't think there is much difference.

I can see a smart party passing out loot based on need and what benefits the party the most but if a class starts to make automatic claim I am going to tell them to shove it. Does that mean the Wizard can claim more because he has to pay to add new spells to his spellbook? Does the rogue get to claim more as he regularly passes out bribes to other underworld lowlifes so he is regularly in the know? How about the cleric? Does she get to claim a bigger share so she can regularly tithe to her church so when the party shows up all beat to hell they get quicker attention from the local priests?

Loot should be based on biggest benefit to the party and then passed out as equally as possible after that. No one in the party should feel entitled to extra gold because their gear may be more expensive.

I agree, basically everyone is less gear dependent though none so much as the Monk.

Now who is most effective with zero gear is a different story. No one can match the Monk if the party is forced to adventure naked except maybe the party sorcerer if he was very careful to select spells with no material or very easy to find material components, the same with druids. The opposite side of that would be range focused players like archer rangers and wizards who are a step above commoners if they do not have their spellbooks.

But that is a whole different conversation.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
This thread makes me yearn to play in a low-magic campaign like cubicle7’s 5e Middle Earth or as a zero-level player that needs to rely on equipment and expedition planning.

Remove ads