• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Geek Confessional Thread 2024

Pedantic

Legend
There is, but it's not very cost-effective.

HeroForge.com can 3D-print your custom minis in full color...no need to paint them. They aren't as detailed, and the colors aren't as vibrant, but they're definitely in the middle ground you describe. And they're like $30 each, so....ka-ching.

EDIT: Sorry, I was mistaken. Full-color printed plastic minis are $45 apiece. Plus shipping.
Honestly, I'm more interested in the board game use case than a to single character in a TTRPG. I'd settle for a two tone wash even, just something to increase the clarity.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I hate it. I wish there was some middle ground between featureless gray and taking up a full time hobby or paying handcrafted goods prices.
There are a few things you can do. Settle for partially painted minis, simply painted minis, or stylized painted minis. There’s a lot you can do with washes and dry brushing. There’s also slap-chop, which is quick and stylized.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Confession: I like all of the following:
  • Black licorice
  • Salty black licorice
Love salty licorice. Especialy a thing we have here in Sweden called Djungelvrål. If you have seen reactionvideos where people eat Swedish candy, and there is one bit of salty licorice in the form of small monkeys, which they willl most likely spit out, then that is Djungelvrål. ;)

That red stuff they call licorice in the US, nope.... And Hershley chocolate is bad.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Depends on what you're wearing when you play, I suppose.

Then again, you can say that about most activities. We live in a world where topless meteorology is a thing.
what, why would that be a thing?
Another confession: I am glad Dark Sun is getting buried and forgotten. it is bar far my least favorite AD&D setting and of all of them feels the least like D&D. They should sell it off and let DCC make a Dark Sun setting.
I think I like the idea of dark sun in the abstract a strange dnd setting whose influences are rather different from the assumed default also psionics being everywhere is my jam.
if it is to be forgotten I want something or things to take up its place as the stranger setting ideas and options if only so people can be shown what can be done in homebrew if you just march out of the normal boxes.

I spend too much money on Marvel Snap cosmetics.

IMG_2375.png

Scribe

Legend
Confessional.

I'm convinced that 99% of what is posted is irrelevant nonsense for anyone beyond the person posting it, and is really just a trojan horse for people to grind their same axes into atoms.

Which is why Discords and such, highly focused and insular, have grown in popularity.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Confessional.

I'm convinced that 99% of what is posted is irrelevant nonsense for anyone beyond the person posting it, and is really just a trojan horse for people to grind their same axes into atoms.

Which is why Discords and such, highly focused and insular, have grown in popularity.
I think message boards like this one serve a purpose that Discord, Facebook, Twitter/X and Reddit are just terrible at.

Scribe

Legend
I think message boards like this one serve a purpose that Discord, Facebook, Twitter/X and Reddit are just terrible at.

Agreed for sure, the format is without a doubt better for actual communication and sharing of ideas. I just think that the 'geek culture' or 'nerd community' or whatever term we wish to apply is now too fractured, too angry, and too tribal, to avoid seeing the same conversations go down the same paths, over and over and over.

We see it here every day. From questions of game design, edition, whatever. Its the same path, with the same people, making the same arguments.

They would be better served, to go find a discord that shares the same view, but then they lose the opportunity to grind that axe. ;)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Agreed for sure, the format is without a doubt better for actual communication and sharing of ideas. I just think that the 'geek culture' or 'nerd community' or whatever term we wish to apply is now too fractured, too angry, and too tribal, to avoid seeing the same conversations go down the same paths, over and over and over.

We see it here every day. From questions of game design, edition, whatever. Its the same path, with the same people, making the same arguments.

They would be better served, to go find a discord that shares the same view, but then they lose the opportunity to grind that axe. ;)
I dont know a single culture not like this. 🤷‍♂️

Confessional.

And some just love to make sure others know that they grind the same ax

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads