Geisha, the (missing) Asian Bard

smootrk

First Post
ivocaliban said:
First off, I do like the Geisha class. As one who owns about 90% of the Rokugan material I can say it's the one concept that never seems quite right. Certainly you can use combinations of Courtier with Ninja or Rogue...or you can later add the Artisan prestige class, but there's nothing specifically for the one or two geisha who aren't spies and assassins.

As for options for prestige classes...there are many styles of Indian dance which could be used to enhance a Geisha with that area of expertise. Everything from bharatanatyam , a graceful "fire-dance" to kathakali, a dramatic dance/play that might be superficially compared to Japanese kabuki. Even if these ideas don't warrant prestige classes, the language might be preferrable if a campaign was set in an Indian culture. For more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_dance
Thanks. This is exactly the type of head-start material I can use. Great article, and will probably form the basis of an Indian 'dance' version of the Geisha. The article had a few names that might be usable, but just wondering if there is a term for Indian performers that might work better? My India-fu is not so great... I need to do some reading obviously. ;)

So far the term, "Natya Shastra" sticks out as Dance Science, as does "Devadasi" which is a term for Temple Dancer/Girl.

Last edited:

ivocaliban

First Post
smootrk said:
Thanks. This is exactly the type of head-start material I can use. Great article, and will probably form the basis of an Indian 'dance' version of the Geisha. The article had a few names that might be usable, but just wondering if there is a term for Indian performers that might work better? My India-fu is not so great... I need to do some reading obviously. ;)

So far the term, "Natya Shastra" sticks out as Dance Science, as does "Devadasi" which is a term for Temple Dancer/Girl.

Well, there are many possibilities, I suppose. Depending on which style of dance you wish to explore. This paragraph from this Classical Indian Dance article at wikipedia introduces a few:

Indian dance has four main styles: Bharata Natyam, Kathak, Kathakali and Manipuri. The Kathak dance derives its name from the community of Kathaks, who are custodians of the art. It is from this house (ghar) or family that this form has taken its origin. The words Kathak and Kathakali are derived from katha meaning storytelling and kali meaning play. Kathak – storytelling and Kathakali – story play. The Kathak dance style was founded by the master Maharaj Binda Din. Kathak dancing performed by a dancer who stands and moves about and lasya (the aspect) in which the dancer kneels or remains immobile the whole time except for the (gat) a descriptive passage, performed in a gentle rhythm and tells stories with his expressive powers only, with his face and hands. It is astonishing what enchantment such a dancer can weave.

As the Kathak dance comes from a community of Kathaks, it might be logical to use that as a name. It's an interesting name and the style of dance is more energetic and flashy than say Bharatanatyam, which favors a more graceful, traditional style.

Here is a site from a Bharatanatyam dancer that explains its more spiritual aspect. And yet another take on the somewhat more secular kathak dance.

It's important to note that Indian dance seems to draw in many other aspects of performance such as mime, acting, storytelling and so on. One might want to take a look at the Versatile Performer feat from Complete Adventurer. It would certainly save skill points and it provides a bonus for using two or more kinds of performance at the same time.

Last edited:

Gooba42

First Post
smootrk said:
Interesting idea. Make the bonus either 'un-named' or competence like you say, and the character still has the option of getting other 'dodge' bonuses.

I hate to make up rules that don't apply across the board, but maybe even add some rules that it only applies to human or near human types (or those who would appreciate Human sensibilities of Charm/Beauty/etc, like a dragon or celestial); an animal, monstrous or alien intelligence would not notice the effect. Then again, it may just over complicate an otherwise very straightforward effect.

Maybe it only applies to characters sharing the same type as the Geisha? Humanoids to humanoids, dragons to dragons, so on and so forth...

It's a simple adjustment but does make it a little tightly focused. However, a campaign where you're mostly bashing monsters rather than other races or nations of your own type isn't really playing to the Geisha's core concept anyway. The class' number one defense as I see it would be to talk, with an alien or non-communicative intelligence you lose that core competency anyway.

smootrk

First Post
Gooba42 said:
Maybe it only applies to characters sharing the same type as the Geisha? Humanoids to humanoids, dragons to dragons, so on and so forth...

It's a simple adjustment but does make it a little tightly focused. However, a campaign where you're mostly bashing monsters rather than other races or nations of your own type isn't really playing to the Geisha's core concept anyway. The class' number one defense as I see it would be to talk, with an alien or non-communicative intelligence you lose that core competency anyway.
In my next draft, I believe that the bonus will only apply to Humans, Humanoids, Giants (or other near human types). I will add feats that expand the ability to other types... ie. Celestial Allure (good outsiders), Fiendish Allure (evil outsiders), Draconic Allure (Dragon types), Beastly Allure (Magical Beasts/Intelligent Animals), etc. There may be types that I intentionally leave off - like Aberrations or true Animals, for being either too unconventional in outlook or completely ignorant of the concepts. Additionally I have had ideas for make-up or masks that assist or expand the ability (for instance a demonic visage mask that makes the ability work against demons while worn, or celestial makeup that assists for celestials).

The idea of expanding the options with feats comes from a recent look at the Archivist class (with their feats for expanding their Dark Knowledge ability).

smootrk

First Post
Any suggestions out there for replacing some of the 'inspire' bardic music abilities, with other types that are based more closely with the fascination or distraction side of things. Maybe something like causing foes to lose some Dex bonuses to AC because they are distracted by the Geisha's beauty/song/dance. I just don't think the Inspire abilities make as much sense for a Geisha (I left the inspire abilities in for lack of ideas on replacements).

BRP2

First Post
Something just crossed my mind. Instead of adding Cha to AC directly, maybe have some involvement with feint, but defensively.

smootrk

First Post
BRP2 said:
Something just crossed my mind. Instead of adding Cha to AC directly, maybe have some involvement with feint, but defensively.
Are you suggesting a bluff check that instead of granting a follow-up attack bonus, that it penalizes the attack rolls against the Geisha, or somehow grants the Geisha a AC bonus?

I like the idea of it, but I hesitate to add more rolls to combat for any class. It is one thing to add/subtract a fixed amount on a regular or semi-regular basis (like any other buff effect); but it is something else to add Bluff/Sense Motive rolls to combat situations that the Geisha will be involved in. It sounds like a reasonable/logical way to do it, but it may just over complicate the objective in question or slow down the tempo of combat in a bad way.

BRP2

First Post
I'm just throwing the idea out there, can see/do it anyway you'd like. Could only take the penalties involved with feinting nonhumanoids only and apply them to the Cha bonus for example.

smootrk

First Post
BRP2 said:
I'm just throwing the idea out there, can see/do it anyway you'd like. Could only take the penalties involved with feinting nonhumanoids only and apply them to the Cha bonus for example.
Not trying to shoot it down; just expressing my hesitance. It may be a good mechanic if I can see your idea fully fleshed out... something like 'Defensive Feinting'. It really sounds like a good concept that any/all characters may like to do, especially non-warrior types including mages, rogues, etc. as traditional Feint only helps the attacker to deny the opponent's Dex Bonus to the attacker's next attack.

Then again, on further reflection, it sounds a lot like what the Dodge Feat does - pick an opponent to receive additional dodge bonus against. Maybe just grant the Dodge feat or a variant that scales a bit? The further dodge tree abilities like spring attack don't seem appropriate (from my stance on 'no attacking bonuses').

Ideas?

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
It has been a couple of weeks and I thought that I would inquire if anyone has any ideas to contribute?

Especially seeking input on alternate Bardic Music abilities that focus on Fascination rather than Inspiration. Also seeking other cultural variants that may need fleshing out.

Remove ads