Geisha, the (missing) Asian Bard

Quartz

Hero
How about have the Bardic abilities give bonuses to Diplomacy etc? Over and above Aid Another. Consider the scenario: the PCs are standing off against a group of humanoids; the two leaders sit down to talk and the geisha does a successful Perform: Tea Ceremony.

Geisha should also be skilled in herbs, both for healing and for poison.

I still think that you should base the Geisha class off the Monk, not the Bard, though. The War Fan would be an obvious weapon.

smootrk

First Post
At this point, I don't think I am going to redesign the class around the monk... anyhow, monks are already prevalent in an Asian setting... while bardic types are not. However, your post does have a great idea for a 'Mediator Performance'.

Maybe have a performance, whether Tea Ceremony, Background music, or otherwise, that enhances diplomatic/business exchanges? Essentially like Inspire Competence except limited to Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive, etc. - albeit because of limited focus, allows better bonuses than Inspire Competence (probably +4). The Geisha cannot be both the Performer & the Negotiator at the same time - this ability aids others.

smootrk

First Post
ivocaliban said:
There was a Kabuki Warrior prestige class in Dragon #298. It's possible it could be adapted as a build from your Geisha. Perhaps a multi-classed Geisha/Fighter could become a Kabuki Warrior, much like a Bard/Swashbuckler can become a Dread Pirate.

If you go here: http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.0Index-PrestigeClasses.pdf and scroll down to page 47, you can find the basics on the Kabuki Warrior PrC.
Thanks. I will dig that one up for sure. It sounds like a perfect PRC for a Geisha. I may re-write up the PRC, to re-design or re-organize it so that it meshes with geisha a little better. A PRC designed before a base class was developed (one that seems to be a natural lead-in, from a conceptual point of view anyhow) may need a few tweaks to mesh well.

It does sound like a good concept from the listing in that index.

Aikuchi

Transient
---
If you've ever seen the movie "Sleeping Dictionary" (Jessica Alba), it features a story around British missionaries that are occupying a new region in the jungles of Borneo (south east asia).

Partly for education, cultural exchange and understanding, living arrangements were made for the single (male bachelor) foreigners to learn the local language and culture through a selected individual trained in rudimentary English language by the current missionaries predecessors.

In effect, the chosen aide "dictionary" as referred to in the movie is also known as the "Sleeping dictionary" because they are trained to provide comfort; sexual or otherwise and help the bachelor understand enough of the nuances of the new culture to assimilate to their western way of life.

For much of the perspective, it is a western view on some of the roles that some south east asian native jungle dwellers were pigeonholed when occupied. I suppose that might help in some research for PRC's or variants for your 'Geisha' class.

Although, in this case because of the situation of the chosen dictionary, the non-chaotic alignment restriction seems much less likely to apply. The training is rudimentary at best for the chosen but allows skills that blend in both cultures making them more flexible than either in any case.

I hope this helps.

=^.^=
---

(ps: It tickled me to find out that they shot the movie in my country off the island of borneo. I live on the peninsula, but i'll digress my personal opinions to another time)

smootrk

First Post
Aikuchi said:
If you've ever seen the movie "Sleeping Dictionary" (Jessica Alba), it features a story around British missionaries that are occupying a new region in the jungles of Borneo (south east asia).
I have not seen this movie, and now it seems that I have an assignment... I must force myself to watch a movie with Jessica Alba in it ;) . She only happens to be one of my favorite actresses to look at :uhoh:

Seriously, thanks for the tip. I was hoping for something from that region. My wife is from the Philippines but she is not very knowledgeable about the vast numbers of cultural variants from that part of the world (but she knows a lot about shopping and always gets discounts... being white, I have to hide around the corner, else the shop-keepers raise the prices).

ivocaliban

First Post
smootrk said:
My wife is from the Philippines but she is not very knowledgeable about the vast numbers of cultural variants from that part of the world (but she knows a lot about shopping and always gets discounts... being white, I have to hide around the corner, else the shop-keepers raise the prices).

My step-mother and step-sister are originally from the Philippines. I know a little about some of the dancing customs of the Philippines, but I'm not sure those I'm familiar with would be useful for a character. I know that some of the dances involve variations of dancing around bamboo poles. (My father and step-mother danced one version of this called tinikling at their wedding.) Most of these dances require people who manipulate the bamboo poles in addition to the dancers. These don't seem to lend themselves to the sort of thing that would work for a PC.

However, all this made me curious about other forms of Philippine dance and I came across this website. Several forms of dance discussed here seem ideal for geisha. The maglangka and janggay seem particularly interesting to me. The former seems very proper and traditional, while the latter has some exotic elements (metal fingernails?) that could possibly be adapted to an interesting prestige class.

Of course, it took me a few minutes to realize that I was only looking at the "Southern Islands" dances. Be sure to check out the other regions for more inspiration. Particularly, the "Mountain" region. In my experience mountainous regions tend to keep to older, traditional customs. (You'll find a lot of Spanish dance and music in more accessible, heavily populated areas of the Philippines.) Some interesting forms of dance can be found in the "Lumad/Forgotten Tribes" section, as well.

Good luck!

Aikuchi

Transient
---
Smootrk
---

If i cause any marital distress by providing you another indulgent Jessica Alba movie, then I must apologize.
=^.^=

Well, regions can have vastly varying degrees so I'm uncertain how it may help you, but nonetheless it does serve to open some options for a class. The roles can be thematically the same yet approached/viewed/treated socially as different.
However, I do look forward if you can gleam a PRC or variant from this information and present it. I would also like to know you views on the movie, since I know of so few people that have seen it.
Her accent in my native language seems ... admirable :D

Ah, there is a knack for women in SEAsia culture that clearly provides a Skill Bonus: Bargain.
It definitely a Regional/Racial feat youre missing if the shopkeepers keep raising their prices when seeing your pale caucaloid complexion. :D
---

Last edited:

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Aikuchi said:
---
Ah, there is a knack for women in SEAsia culture that clearly provides a Skill Bonus: Bargain.
It definitely a Regional/Racial feat youre missing if the shopkeepers keep raising their prices when seeing your pale caucaloid complexion. :D
---

Hmm, I'll have to remember that. :p

Aikuchi

Transient
Hi SoAzure :D How ya been? Hows you SEAsian campaign coming along (sent ya an email but just in case) --- waves!

--

Smootrk:
Btw, I believe SoA has done quite a bit of research on his own campaign world about classes in Asia, perhaps there's some semblance in some class abilities to suit your "Fascinate" rather than "Inspire" line of though .... ((shrugs))

Remove ads