Geisha, the (missing) Asian Bard

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Brainstorming

Potential Class features, commentary in red

Just throwing ideas out, sorry if these are too random.

Healing Adept (Ex): A Tui Na Masseuse adds her class level to her patients' effective class level when determining hit points recovered while under Long-term care. (See the Heal skill, page 75 in the player's handbook).

Example: A 5th-level Tui-na Masseuse is providing long-term care for her 10th-level Samurai ally who was sorely wounded in battle. After a day of long-term care, he heals 60 hit points as a result of her healing skills (4 hp/ level for a full day of care, 10th level + 5 effective levels from Healing Adept). If the samurai had only rested for 8 hours under her care, he would have only healed 30 hp (2 hp/effective level).

Possible addition to the above mechanic: At 5th level, add 1 to the recovered Ability score points for 8 hours of rest, +2 for a full day. At 10th level, this increases to +2 and +4, respectively.

Possible expansion to Heal: increase the amount of people you can have under your long-term care. Possibly equals your class level, so this class feature wouldn't have any effect until 7th level since the normal maximum is 6.

Pressure Point Atemi (Su): Touch attacks to inflict Daze, Blindness, Deafness, Nauseousness, Sickening, and Stunning. Possibly unconsciousness. Would be tied into the Tui Na Techniques uses per day mechanic.

Good Fortitude Save, d6 HD?:

EDIT: All abilities folded into actual class.

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
I was thinking on the replacements for the Inspire line of 'bardic music' abilities. The first that I made a solid change to is Inspire Competence was changed to Inspire Diplomacy (still called Inspire - so if there are suggestions for replacing the name let me know).

Inspire Diplomacy (Su) (Geisha Performance)

A Geisha of 3rd level or higher with 6 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use her performances to help an ally succeed at diplomatic endeavors. The Geisha skillfully times aspects of her performance to enhance her ally’s communication, while detracting from the diplomatic opponent’s position. The ally and his diplomatic counterpart must be within 30 feet and able to see and hear the Geisha. The Geisha must also be able to see the pair.

The ally gets a +4 competence bonus on Bluff, Intimidate, or Diplomacy skill checks as long as he or she continues to see and/or hear the Geisha’s performance. When the ally is exposed to counter-diplomatic techniques, the ally gets +4 on any opposed rolls while the performance continues. Certain uses of this ability may be infeasible. The effect lasts as long as the Geisha concentrates on her performance or until the negotiations are broken off (even for a short break). A Geisha can’t inspire competence in herself. Inspire Diplomacy is a mind-affecting ability.

For the other one, Infatuation, needs some help. I imagine it to replace Inspire Greatness (9th level ability). Like suggestion, it is a continuation of the Fascination initial effect, but I want it to be a little better than basic suggestion - making a staunch defender of the Geisha, at least for period of time. Any suggestions (heh heh)?

Last edited:

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
I like the Inspire Diplomacy. Perhaps it should scale with geisha levels?

I had an idea for a Calm Emotions type ability. What do you think?

Infatuation, hmmm? How about retrofitting the Celebrant of Sharess class ability Inspire Desire, in the Player's guide to Faerun? If you don't have that one, I can give a description.

smootrk

First Post
I looked at the Inspire Diplomacy as a narrowly focused Inspire Competence ability (which only grants +2 to 'any' skill check --- bluff, bluff, bluff the ogre). With the narrow focus, I figured I would just double the Inspire Competence effect. Maybe a feat for improvement? or what level do you suggest for a boost?

I have the PGtF; thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

And thanks to Quartz for the inspiration for the Inspire Diplomacy bit.

The Kabuki Warrior article from Dragon 298 is on my desk as well. I like it. It is geared to warrior classes and comes off like a Jester a bit. I can see it redefined a little bit as a role for males (or sometimes females) who take on aspects of geisha for the comedic effect (as Kabuki is comedic in a sense) and an enhancement to combat. A nice way to take the Geisha into more combat situations, while avoiding Ninja types. Thanks for the lead ivocaliban.

I think the Ninja/Geisha prc will be rather easy to setup. Just a female ninja clan which maintains an Okiya front.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Oh! That makes much more sense. Yeah, +4 on the Inspire Diplomacy. I'll see if I can brainstorm a new name.

The Kabuki? Yes, I vaguely remembered something like that, but was hesitating to search my Dragons. Lazy me.

I had been looking into information about Kabuki, but all I was coming up with was the Kabuki Theatre stuff, which may or may not be appropriate. Certainly not warrior-like. Not necessarily, anyway.

I can work on ideas for a ninja/geisha combo if you like. It could be interesting blending the Ki Power and the Geisha Performances. There's also the spellcasting aspect to consider.

smootrk

First Post
Feel free to do work on the Ninja/Geisha geared one - and take it any direction you like. I might have some preconceptions on it, but I have absolutely nothing jotted down except the minor blurbs you see above. Will be interesting to see your take on it.

Btw, which ninja class do you prefer? I have never actually played in a Asian campaign so I never developed a preference - never having seen a ninja character in actual use.

What do you have in mind for the Calm Emotions bit? Is it based on an ability located elsewhere that can be ported in? As far as I am concerned, other than spells, the bardic music abilities are the Geisha's only real 'offensive' weapon in combat (if single classed).

For another idea:
Maybe an ability that makes combatants still long enough so that the Geisha can begin the Fascination abilities (which otherwise require non-combat type situations). Sorta picks one foe to flash her eyelids at, then the foe cannot be distracted from a Fascination affect that follows.

[edit] then again, I guess that is basically what a Calm Emotions would be all about anyway. lol

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
I thought being able to defuse dangerous situations with calm emotions could be a useful trick, but possibly it is of more use to a Courtier-style character. Naw, I didn't get the idea from anywhere...it just randomly popped up in my mind.

---

The ninja? Well, I have the Rokugan sourcebook version, but I've never used it in play, nor seen it used, so I can't actually comment on it.

In my Korean game last year, I had two PCs in my game using the Ninja printed in Dragon, which later become the one in Complete Adventurer. Both were multiclassed, however (monk and fighter), and the PCs only reached level 5 before I left town for work in the Outback. They seemed solid enough, though. It took a bit of getting used to, compared to a rogue.

I'd probably stick with the CAdv version, since I've seen it in play, and it seems a little more "official". The Rokugan one is a full martial class (Good BAB), and doesn't have a lot of skill points....possibly not a good fit for a skillful Geisha.

Anyway, I'll have a look at the ninja a little more and see what I come up with.

---

By the way, what are your thoughts on the Tui Na Masseuse class spellcasting progression and saving throws? Is losing three spellcasting levels a killer in terms of power?

smootrk

First Post
Back on the Tui Na Masseuse, maybe some hot/cold ideas could be as simple as granting hot or cold resistance - sorta like hot-coal walkers or those monks who meditate in the freezing weather - through use of massage.

Another aspect could be the ability to cause or remove fevers/chills. - not sure if there are exact conditions that cover this, but just a idea starter. Kinda like temporary disease-like effect, or temporary suspension of disease-like effect.

smootrk

First Post
I think the Fort save should be good (health conscious), and it a nice balancer for the Geisha who I gave poor Fort to.

I think the Masseuse is a good prc for a monk as well. Do you have any thoughts on meshing it with a monk? Spellcasting & Touch Spell stuff might need a monk counterpart.

Even with the PRC built towards a Geisha, I like the fact that it works well with other classes as well.

For Spell Progression, if the class is kept 5 levels, then I would think 3 levels of +CL is sufficient. If moved to 10 levels, I think it would need at least 6 levels of +CL, otherwise folks wont take the class for too much loss of spell ability.

Last edited:

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
smootrk said:
I think the Fort save should be good (health conscious), and it a nice balancer for the Geisha who I gave poor Fort to.

Yes, I had the same feeling.

smootrk said:
I think the Masseuse is a good prc for a monk as well. Do you have any thoughts on meshing it with a monk? Spellcasting & Touch Spell stuff might need a monk counterpart.

Even with the PRC built towards a Geisha, I like the fact that it works well with other classes as well.

Yeah, I prefer leaving them as open as possible, allowing multiple ways to meet the prerequisites. It's my understanding that Prestige Classes were largely meant to be built in that fashion.

As for monk, indeed. The chi abilities would mix well with a monk's Atemi strikes. As it stands, a monk can't meet the prerequisites unless he multiclasses. I'll have to see about an alternate set of prerequisites. Thanks for the help.

---

Hot+Yin+Ascendant+Internal= Fever, Illness (disease)
Cold+Yin+Ascendant+Internal= Loss of whole-body energy (fatigue)
Hot+Yang+Abundance+Superficial= Over-vitality (stun)

hmmm....

EDIT: On Spell progression. Hmm, ok. I'll keep it at 7 levels of progression for the 10 level class for now, with 6 as an option.

Remove ads