Geisha, the (missing) Asian Bard

ivocaliban

First Post
smootrk said:
That is very good. I like it a lot.

Do you mind if I place this directly into the Geisha Document when/if you finish the tables for Affiliation Score? It is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to slip into the Okiya section as an example.

Feel free to change and/or use the Yaezaki Okiya affiliation in any way you please, smootrk. Forgive my lack of knowledge regarding html/code. Please check out the notes at the end. Also, I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. :)

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
I'm just playing around with this idea right now, and wanted to see what you thought, smootrk. I've maybe been watching House of Flying Daggers too much. ;)

Long Kimono Sleeve (Exotic Weapon)

Long Kimono Sleeve:
Damage 1d2/1d3*; critical x2; weight 1 pound (each); Damage: Bludgeoning; Cost: 25gp.
*Subdual damage

Kimonos can be designed with especially long slightly weighted sleeves for particular forms of dance. Those trained in its use can use it for additional defence, and to confound and defeat their enemies. They are usually made as part of an ordinary kimono

An attack with a kimono sleeve deals non-lethal damage. It deals no damage to any creature with an armour bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armour bonus of +3 or higher.

The Kimono Sleeve is treated as a melee weapon with a 15-foot reach, though you do not threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).

Using a Long Kimono Sleeve provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon.

If you are proficient with the Long Kimono Sleeve and you fight defensively or employ the total defence combat manoeuvre, you gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC for the rest of the round in addition to the normal AC bonus from the combat manoeuvre (+2 for fighting defensively or +4 for total defence). This bonus also applies if you are proficient with the weapon, have the Combat Expertise feat, and shift at least 2 points of your attack bonus to AC for the round.

Because a Long Kimono Sleeve can wrap around an enemy’s leg or other limb, you can make trip attacks with it.

When using a Long Kimono Sleeve, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attacks made to disarm an opponent. You cannot be disarmed of a Long Kimono Sleeve, though it is vulnerable to sundering.

If you have the Ki Strike class feature, it applies to attacks made with the Long Kimono Sleeve. You may also make Ki-based attacks (Such as Stunning Fist) through the Sleeve.

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a Long Kimono Sleeve, even though it isn’t a light weapon.

You do not add your Strength Bonus to damage with a Long Kimono Sleeve, nor can you use the Power Attack feat with this weapon.

The Long Kimono Sleeve is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk using the Long Kimono Sleeve special options.

Some Notes: The Sleeve counts as a cloak for the purposes of the Cloak Dance feat.

Interesting to note that twinned sleeves (probably common) are great for Two-weapon defence.

The Sleeve could count as a buckler, but you lose its defensive ability when you attack with it. In this case, you could take Improved Buckler Defence to retain the shield benefit.

I'm not sure if 15' reach is appropriate. It could be 10', or come in 2 versions.

Special Kimono Sleeves

Some ideas I was kicking around, based on the "Scarf" spells in Complete Arcane.

Kimono of Alabaster Crane
This elegant +2 Kimono was made to include two +2 Long Kimono Sleeves. Each sleeve is enchanted to allow the sleeves grip and use items at their extremities, as if with the mage hand spell. When gripping a weapon, the sleeves threaten the area within the sleeves’ reach.
Moderate Transmutation; CL 6th; Craft Magic Arms and Armour, Mage Hand; Price: 20,850gp

Iron Sleeve (enhancement)
These magical Long Kimono Sleeves deal 1d8 points of lethal damage and the user may apply their strength bonus to damage rolls with the Sleeve. You may use the Power attack feat with Iron Sleeves. An Iron Sleeve deals slashing damage, or bludgeoning damage, at the user's option.
Minor transmutation; CL 3rd; Craft Magic Arms and Armour, Iron Scarf; Price: +1 bonus

Decapitating Sleeve
Designed by ninjas of the Crimson Sakura, these silken +3 Iron Long Kimono Sleeves can be used as a lethal weapon, dealing 1d8 points of damage, plus the wearer’s strength bonus.

As a swift action, the wielder may expend one use of (Geisha Performance, Bardic Music, Shadow Arts, or Ki Power) to imbue the sleeve with a dangerous power for a full round. The next attack with the Sleeve may be a decapitating strike.
You must make a normal attack roll. If you hit, the target must make a DC 20 Fortitude saving throw; failure indicates that the sleeve has decapitated the victim.
A target creature that makes its save takes 15d4 points of damage before freeing itself from the decapitating sleeve. Constructs and most undead (except vampires) are not immediately killed by decapitation, and take only 6d4 points of damage whether they make the save or not. Oozes, aberrations, and other creatures without a head are immune to a Decapitating Sleeve’s effects.
If you do not use the decapitating power by the beginning of your next turn, the power is wasted.
The cost provided is for a single decapitating sleeve.
Strong transmutation; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armour, Iron Scarf, Decapitating Scarf; Price 137,325gp, in addition to the cost of the kimono it is built into. Cost to Create: 68,500gp + 5480 XP

This could be really strong amongst the Crimson Sakura themselves, who would also be dealing sudden strike and/or sneak attack damage on top of the decapitating damage on a successful save. The price was reduced due to the limitations on who can activate the decapitation power. I halved the price of the added effect, but I could be off on the price in the first place.

Anyhow, just thought I'd post to show my continued interest in the project. :)

Edit: Clarified activation of the decapitating power. Decapitation now has a DC!

Working on the Entangling Scarf version.

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
Cool ideas, and very appropriate (and is especially cool for a Monk/Geisha combo concept - which hasn't really been addressed yet). I need to get that movie again.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
smootrk said:
Monk/Geisha combo concept - which hasn't really been addressed yet

Yeah, I've been (half-heartedly) trying to flesh something out, but haven't figured anything out yet.

The best I've managed is a kind of Chinese Opera/Acrobat thingy. It feels a bit "off", right now.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Well, here's something, anyway:

Ascetic Maiden
You belong to an order of geisha sponsored by a local temple that teaches enlightenment through self-expression. As a student of this school, you’ve blended you geisha and monk levels into one seamless whole.
Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Geisha Performance.
Benefit: You Geisha and Monk levels stack for the purpose of determining your AC bonus. For example, a 4th-level geisha/1st-level monk would have a +1 AC bonus as if she was a 5th-level monk.*
Your geisha and monk levels also stack when determining the number of times per day that you can use your geisha performances.
In addition, you can multi-class freely between the geisha and monk classes. You must still remain lawful in order to continue advancing as a monk. You still face the normal penalties for having multiple classes more than one level apart.

*Was considering giving the ability to substitute Cha for Wis to AC here also, but that is too much like Ascetic Mage, IMO.

Edit:
And an extra geisha item

Wings of the Phoenix

This red and orange +2 Kimono of Greater Fire Resistance includes two +2 Flaming Burst Long Kimono Sleeves and is a treasure of the Phoenix Clan. In addition to the Sleeves’ Flaming Burst property, a geisha can expend one Geisha performance (as a swift action) to invoke Phoenix Wings, transforming the sleeves into wings of brilliant fire (resembling those of a phoenix), which do not damage you or any items you carry. This effect lasts for 1 hour. You may expend additional uses of Geisha performance to extend the duration of the effect.

The wings allow you to fly at a speed of 60 feet (good) while carrying no more than a light load. You can ascend at half speed and descend at double speed, and you can charge (but not run) while flying.

You can make attacks with the Phoenix Wings as normal for a Long Kimono Sleeve, except for effects that emulate metal (such as Iron Sleeves, or Decapitation, or a metalline effect). Alignment-based modifiers remain in effect. You deal 2d6 points of fire damage with the Phoenix Wings instead of the normal Long Kimono Sleeve damage, in addition to the flaming burst effect (and any other damage effects the Sleeves might have).

The wings are extinguished (and the effect ends) if subjected to a quench spell, immersed in water for 1 round, or exposed to winds of hurricane force or greater. If the effect is ended prematurely while you are aloft, you fall normally.
While using the Phoenix Wings ability, you may (as a standard action) spend an additional use of Geisha performance to invoke Phoenix Breath, creating a 30’ cone of fire that deals 12d6 points of fire damage. Using Phoenix Breath ends the Phoenix Wings effect.

Moderate transmutation; CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armour, resist energy, fire wings and flame blade, flame strike, or fireball. Price: 113,250gp Cost to Create: 56,625gp + 4,530 XP.

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
Sound of Azure said:
Decapitating Sleeve
Designed by ninjas of the Crimson Sakura, these silken +3 Iron Long Kimono Sleeves can be used as a lethal weapon, dealing 1d8 points of damage, plus the wearer’s strength bonus.

As a swift action, the wielder may expend one use of (Geisha Performance, Bardic Music, Shadow Arts, or Ki Power) to imbue the sleeve with a dangerous power for a full round. The next attack with the Sleeve may be a decapitating strike. You must make a normal attack roll. If you hit, the target must make a Fortitude saving throw; failure indicates that the sleeve has decapitated the victim.
*Boggle*

On a normal hit? No preparation? That's a hugely powerful power.

Last edited:

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Quartz said:
*Boggle*

On a normal hit? No preparation? That's a hugely powerful power.

It is powerful, yes. I do realise that I forgot to give a DC, though. It should be DC 20 for the Fort save (DC 10 + spell level (7) + 3 (minimum ability modifier) = 20). Also, you can only make one such strike per round (being a swift action to "charge" the Sleeve), costing one use per day of your special power.

The ability is the equivalent of a 7th-level spell (Decapitating Scarf, from Complete Arcane).

A "normal" strike with the Sleeve deals 1d8 points of damage, +3 due to enhancement bonus, plus the user's strength bonus. This is due to the Iron Sleeve enchantment.

If it didn't have that enhancement, it would deal 1d3 subdual damage.

As a final point, it should be dangerous.... it does cost 137,000gp.

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
Ringan said:
One technical detail: in the .rtf, "Discrete Magic" should be "Discreet Magic" . Thanks for the cool class!
Ahh, another insight into my (lack of) edumacation... at least in the English department. ;)

When I get a break from my current work/study loads, I will revisit this project and update much of that file. I hope to include SoA & Invocaliban's work directly into the document, as well as other ideas that I have not had the chance to knock out yet. I believe that having all the parts together will help make porting this class into any (OA style) campaign very easy.

I am glad you like it.

edit: I went ahead and made a few edits to the file this evening - although I should be studying. Just a few tweaks to existing text in addition to the aforementioned Discreet/Discrete debacle.

Last edited:

Remove ads