GenCon 2023 RPG tickets sold. Update with breakouts by edition.

darjr

I crit!
IMG_8148.jpeg

I have been told but don’t have the evidence, that every available event ticket at GenCon sold out.

First saw it from Ben at Twitter link.

Update
Edit to add that looking at the latest data there were unsold tickets.

I've lowered the case to get better results. Here is a snapshot with some games broken out by version.
Note at the bottom I had the graph of raw numbers by game wrap around from 7th Sea to begin again at Genesys.

Update again. There is an entry with an extra character in it for D&D. Note the summary is off by 27 because of it.
Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 11.49.46 AM.png

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I'm going to intentionally misread this chart for comedic purposes...
"More people would rather play 'Other RPGs' than D&D." ;)
It is kind of amazing that it is not more of a point. If I had the money to go to Gencon then I would be more inclined to play Tales of The Valient, Daggerheart or Avatar than D&D. I know how D&D plays but I would be interested in trying something else. Its like going to Paris and eating at McDonalds.

Its like going to Paris and eating at McDonalds.
I have a horrible feeling the McDonaldses in Paris are absolutely packed with US tourists. Parisians please correct me.
Tales of The Valient, Daggerheart or Avatar than D&D.
Me too. Maybe not Daggerheart since I found out it requires you to buy decks of cards. Why do these designers always do this now? I mean, I know the answer - dollar dollar dollar bills y'all, you can make a huge amount more money off a game if people have to buy "accessories" as well as the actual books, but I've never had a better experience with a TTRPG that forced me to use special dice or special cards or the like, only on a worse and less immersive one. Daggerheart seems particularly unfortunate because unless you can literally print cards, you can't even add your own stuff.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I have a horrible feeling the McDonaldses in Paris are absolutely packed with US tourists. Parisians please correct me.
Oh! I would not be surprised but I would still count it a wasted opportunity.
Me too. Maybe not Daggerheart since I found out it requires you to buy decks of cards. Why do these designers always do this now? I mean, I know the answer - dollar dollar dollar bills y'all, you can make a huge amount more money off a game if people have to buy "accessories" as well as the actual books, but I've never had a better experience with a TTRPG that forced me to use special dice or special cards or the like, only on a worse and less immersive one. Daggerheart seems particularly unfortunate because unless you can literally print cards, you can't even add your own stuff.
The specifics were not my point, more that, one has made such a trip, it would be a shame not to avail of the opportunities to try something new.

darjr

I crit!
Oh! I would not be surprised but I would still count it a wasted opportunity.

The specifics were not my point, more that, one has made such a trip, it would be a shame not to avail of the opportunities to try something new.
There is an aspect of playing with other DMs possibly good to great ones.

Baldman Games, who runs the games for WotC, does do some vetting of DMs. I know they’ve told DMs “no thank you” even when they where desperate to fill slots.

Also I need to add to the op, every single available ticket was sold. Everything sold out. Panels and games.

Remove ads