GenCon 2023 RPG tickets sold. Update with breakouts by edition.

But are you and your gamer buddies truly casual players, though? I think defining that term is probably key to figuring out which of you -- if either -- is right here.
Good point.

I am not sure if it is a misunderstanding or not. Of course there are casual gamers at GenCon. But the idea that GenCon is representative of gamers in general seems preposterous. Obviously there is no way to prove this but based on cost, location, age of attendee etc it does not seem likely. Unless GenCon has radically changed in the last couple years.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
And Iron Kingdoms: Requiem is a 5E setting by Privateer Press. The Iron Kingdoms is the setting for their Warmachine fantasy 'mechs miniatures wargame, which has just hit its 20th anniversary. They had published it as a 3E setting previously, and it looks like Requiem is the 5E update, and had a Kickstarter last year.
I find it curious that the data can distinguish Iron Kingdoms: Requiem from other 5E games, but that we see no data for Edge Studio's 5E Midnight events (or other third party settings). Really would have loved to know what attendance was like for the Midnight 5E tables.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My friend may fall on the border but I dint think his kids would.

And if you want to tighten up the definition or restrict it more, please note there are quite a few locals that go ti GenCon. One in particular I met at random in the course way who would probably fit the bill. But I’ll give y’all that he could be a vanishing minority.

It’s that to label every one a non casual seems like a straw man.

But do not worry about convincing me. I’m perfectly happy being in disagreement.
I don't think anyone is attacking you and since neither of you knows how the other is deciding that someone is a "casual" gamer, it's impossible to know if you're really disagreeing.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I find it curious that the data can distinguish Iron Kingdoms: Requiem from other 5E games, but that we see no data for Edge Studio's 5E Midnight events (or other third party settings). Really would have loved to know what attendance was like for the Midnight 5E tables.
From GenCon's perspective, GenCon Indy games that are just open demos aren't entered into the same system as games one has to sign up for. In a lot of ways, GenCon very much shows its hobbyist roots, and "good enough for everyone to come together and have a good time" is the standard they're aiming for, so their tools aren't as robust as, say, Comic Con's.

darjr

I crit!
We can, somewhat. The company that sponsored a ticketed event or that is running the area the tables are, is in the data. I plan to do a breakout of that too.

For example Kobold Press ran 5e D&D games that were counted as D&D 5e games and not TOV. They were not tov playtest games.

But there are also non ticked events and demos and ones that took generics.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
We can, somewhat. The company that sponsored a ticketed event or that is running the area the tables are, is in the data. I plan to do a breakout of that too.

For example Kobold Press ran 5e D&D games that were counted as D&D 5e games and not TOV. They were not tov playtest games.

But there are also non ticked events and demos and ones that took generics.

It was a ticketed event with multiple sessions, but they may well have been counted as D&D 5E: Gen Con | Gen Con Indy 2023

Looking forward to your more in-depth breakdown!

Remove ads