GenCon 2023 RPG tickets sold. Update with breakouts by edition.

darjr

I crit!
Here it is reposted, btw.

edit fixed for a hidden entry that doesn't add into the summary table below so it's off by 27 tickets or seats.
Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 11.49.46 AM.png

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
View attachment 292852

I have been told but don’t have the evidence, that every available event ticket at GenCon sold out.

First saw it from Ben at Twitter link.

Update
Edit to add that looking at the latest data there were unsold tickets.

I've lowered the case to get better results. Here is a snapshot with some games broken out by version.
Note at the bottom I had the graph of raw numbers by game wrap around from 7th Sea to begin again at Genesys.

Update again. There is an entry with an extra character in it for D&D. Note the summary is off by 27 because of it.
View attachment 292961
It’s wild how AD&D is the #11 most popular game.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Those can be combined even further. There's probably no difference between "dungeons and dragons 2nd" and "dungeons and dragons advanced 2nd", ditto for 1st and advanced 1st, etc. 5e is still listed three different ways. And so on. The overall numbers add to something like:

9158 -- 5th
416 -- 1st
352 -- 3rd/3.5
51 -- 2nd
25 -- 0th/whitebox
23 -- 4th
22 -- BX/BECMI
30 -- other/unknown/indeterminate*

* - I've no idea what edition "iron kingdoms" and "deathbringer" tie to, and "advanced" could be 1e or 2e or who knows?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Those can be combined even further. There's probably no difference between "dungeons and dragons 2nd" and "dungeons and dragons advanced 2nd", ditto for 1st and advanced 1st, etc. 5e is still listed three different ways. And so on. The overall numbers add to something like:

9158 -- 5th
416 -- 1st
352 -- 3rd/3.5
51 -- 2nd
25 -- 0th/whitebox
23 -- 4th
22 -- BX/BECMI

* - I've no idea what edition "iron kingdoms" and "deathbringer" tie to, and "advanced" could be 1e or 2e or who knows?
Deathbringer is Professor Dungeon Master's (aka the guy from the YouTube channel Dungeon Craft) sort of 5E hardcore mode game.

GamerforHire

Explorer
I have only gone to GenCon four times in last 15 years, plus a trip to Origins (I otherwise hit smaller or miniatures-related conventions). The first couple times, with my kids in tow, we played rpgs that THEY regularly played—Pathfinder and D&D 5e. When I went alone, I tried to play games I liked but didn’t get to play locally—in my case Dungeon Crawl Classics and Call of Cthulhu.

I just mention this because it seems like people do split between two camps of “I play games at GenCon that I love to play” and “I play games at GenCon I can’t find at home.” Maybe that ends up being a wash when you look at the numbers overall?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I have only gone to GenCon four times in last 15 years, plus a trip to Origins (I otherwise hit smaller or miniatures-related conventions). The first couple times, with my kids in tow, we played rpgs that THEY regularly played—Pathfinder and D&D 5e. When I went alone, I tried to play games I liked but didn’t get to play locally—in my case Dungeon Crawl Classics and Call of Cthulhu.

I just mention this because it seems like people do split between two camps of “I play games at GenCon that I love to play” and “I play games at GenCon I can’t find at home.” Maybe that ends up being a wash when you look at the numbers overall?
Doing GenCon Online this past four years, that split definitely seems to be in play. There are a lot of "finally I get to play anything" (which usually translates to wanting to play the most popular stuff) and "finally I get to play this," which is reserved for the less common stuff people might not to be able to play a local game for. I was in the latter camp trying to get to play Alien for several years until finally getting to last year, for instance.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)

9158 -- 5th
416 -- 1st
352 -- 3rd/3.5
51 -- 2nd
25 -- 0th/whitebox
23 -- 4th
22 -- BX/BECMI

Deathbringer is Professor Dungeon Master's (aka the guy from the YouTube channel Dungeon Craft) sort of 5E hardcore mode game.
And Iron Kingdoms: Requiem is a 5E setting by Privateer Press. The Iron Kingdoms is the setting for their Warmachine fantasy 'mechs miniatures wargame, which has just hit its 20th anniversary. They had published it as a 3E setting previously, and it looks like Requiem is the 5E update, and had a Kickstarter last year.

Remove ads