GenCon 2023 RPG tickets sold. Update with breakouts by edition.

darjr

I crit!
The multiple versions is because when people register to host a GenCon game, they type the information in themselves. If they type the game system in differently, GenCon's software doesn't know that it should be grouping it with variants.
I think there are defaults but yes, people can type into the fields.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Always try new games at Cons.
Very good to see a wide variety of stuff at GenCon. I assume most 5th/PF is AL/PFS
It's about 50/50 at GenCon Online, as I recall.

GenCon Online, since 2020, has had a surprisingly large number of games that are just the continuation of a Harry Potter campaign, with the characters going up a grade level every year. I've never played in it myself.

OK I took the latest data from GenCon and broke it down by Game System and version. Note the version information isn't all the same, for instance there are three (?) different versions of 5th edition. But I think You'll see the essential breakdown. Grab the CSV and sort by game system if you want to see all the versions together.

Note that DCC is all over the place as DCC 1st then DCC Dying Earth and even DCC Lankmar.
Thanks for breaking it down. I saw Ben's numbers on Twitter yesterday, but wasn't sure how he got them (I don't expect him to intentionally misreport things, just sometimes there's specific problems with data sources).
Are you planning to do a fully consolidated version without duplicates for the front page here at ENWorld?

In any case: I'm glad that DCC is doing so well. A bit surprised, though, that DCC Dying Earth is seeing so much more play than the other spin offs (maybe just because it's newer?).

darjr

I crit!
Thanks for breaking it down. I saw Ben's numbers on Twitter yesterday, but wasn't sure how he got them (I don't expect him to intentionally misreport things, just sometimes there's specific problems with data sources).
Are you planning to do a fully consolidated version without duplicates for the front page here at ENWorld?

In any case: I'm glad that DCC is doing so well. A bit surprised, though, that DCC Dying Earth is seeing so much more play than the other spin offs (maybe just because it's newer?).
New hot thing.

I haven’t looked into Dying Earth but am dying too try it.

DCC A ten year old rpg as popular as it ever was and growing.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I figured Daggerheart would have higher numbers. I’m guessing it was because they had a limited number of GMs?
359 tickets is pretty good.

I get you though, expectations and attention are high.

I do think but don’t know for sure that they were running demos that were short and not ticketed or required generics.

Ondath

Hero
I have a horrible feeling the McDonaldses in Paris are absolutely packed with US tourists. Parisians please correct me.
As a former Parisian, I can confirm that it's usually Americans and other tourists who go to McDonald's, Burger King and the like. Though that's mostly due to McD offering "familiar" food that you know will be good as good as you know it is elsewhere, instead of risking trying something you don't like with the local cuisine. And honestly, sometimes that's what I want too.

Remove ads