• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon Core Book Sold Out?

Wicht

Hero
At the show, it is reported that a Paizo employee said it was around 2400-2500 books brought. There were some books left but better to have brought too many than too few as some have said.

Assuming the number was around 2500 (which is approximately the number I count in the pictures), I also think that speaks to a larger print run than the 10,000 some were suggesting. I find it hard to believe they brought 25% of all the printed books to Gencon. 5-10% seems a more realistic strategy.

Erik Mona also said it was their best Gencon ever and the whole Paizo team seemed pretty pleased with it. I wouldn't read too much into the fact they had a few spare at the end except they made a pretty good guess how many they might sell.

Xyxox

Hero
So does anybody know if they sold out or not?

If not, I might go ahead and place an order for the hard copy to go with my PDF.

If no answer or they did sell out, I'll wait for the second printing.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
I imagine that it would be an easy assumption among folks who have been following Paizo (i.e. fans) that with the sold-out 1st print run of the Pathfinder RPG to distrubuters that this would also happen to retailers (as well as @ GenCon) when in fact this doesn't neccessarily follow. Paizo is an accomplished publisher and appears to have prepared quite well to meet the incoming demand for the new core book.

Edit - And the answer is no, they haven't completely sold out of print copies and probably won't since they ordered an additional smaller batch of printing after the first larger order to follow it in August just for individual sales and to be distributed to game stores (i.e. no big distributers). So yes, you can still get a print copy! :)

Last edited:

I suspect there might have been a substantial # of people who, upon hearing the possibility of a shortage, pre-ordered their copies rather than risk the chance of not getting one at GenCon and then missing out at their FLGS. I know I did (although I cancelled the pre-order when I did get a copy at the Dealer Hall).

Still kicking myself for forgetting to get it signed when I was working at the ENnie Awards Friday night, though.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
We did a much better job of predicting how many we'd need this year than we did with the Beta, so we had some books left on Sunday. Our sales were steady for the whole show (and absolutely jaw-droppingly INSANE on Thursday), and we've just logged by far our most successful Gen Con ever.

We are very, very happy, and it certainly seems like the Pathfinder RPG was the success story of this year's Gen Con.

--Erik

Dal Thrax

First Post
I think the most interesting question is how many downloads of the PDF has Paizo had so far? If they moved another 20,000 units via pdf over the weekend, that's significant.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads