GenCon, sleep, hard-core gaming and drowsy driving

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Is it true that sleeping in multiples of 90 minutes is good for you? I've noticed that I feel a lot more rested after a 90 minute nap than I do after a 2-hour nap. Someone once told me that's because the body operates on a 90-minute sleep cycle. Any truth to that?

dave_o

Explorer
PC, I know this is probably a bad idea, but to function at least semi-normally, maybe supplimenting with vitamins, etc. - what's the least amount of sleep someone can work on?

I've always hated sleeping, and I can't get enough hours out of the day.

:D

Azure Trance

First Post
I found that when I get dozy after ingesting a 'good' amount of caffiene, I just take more caff pills, and the caffiene wins. Though your right on the anxious thing. Yeech.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Heh, I wish I had seen this before Origins.

On my way home from the airport, I had a "micro-sleep" and ended up totalling my truck after fishtailing across three lanes of traffic on the freeway and flipping it on it's side in a ditch.

Tallok

First Post
Ah yes, powernapping, my brother is so good at it that he was able to come home after school in High School and College, take a 30-60 minute nap and be completely rested

William Ronald

Explorer
I concur that a 2 hour nap helps. One thing that I try to do at the end of Gen Con is make sure that I get a good night of sleep before I get up Sunday.

Know your limits. (I am not going to Gen Con this year, but I would like to see everyone next year. So be safe, and get some rest.)

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
So 24 hours without sleep means you are effective as a drunk... my question is, what about after 40 hours? I sure felt as unresponsive as a drunk... but it would be nice to know.

SmokestackJones

First Post
Hey PC,

Thanks. This is valuable info, even though I won't be attending cons. I work overnights at a radio station and, believe me, I know how hard it is to keep awake while driving home. Thanks again.

-SJ

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Good info. I almost died sleeping at the wheel . Now I take a short nap before I set out if I feel too tired to drive. Even a short nap does wonders if you are nodding off.

Christian

Explorer
MeepoTheMighty said:
Is it true that sleeping in multiples of 90 minutes is good for you? I've noticed that I feel a lot more rested after a 90 minute nap than I do after a 2-hour nap. Someone once told me that's because the body operates on a 90-minute sleep cycle. Any truth to that?

Different people have different sleep cycle lengths, but PCat's '2 hours' is pretty much the average-most people's cycles are close enough to that that a 2-hour nap will work for them. My cycles are about 2:10, but my wife's are (unusually) closer to 2:30, and a 2-hour nap turns out to be a bit short for her ... I imagine that 90 minutes would be short for most people.

Remove ads