GenCon, sleep, hard-core gaming and drowsy driving

Imhotepthewise

Explorer
Any parent with young children can tell you sleep is overrated.

All kidding aside, all of you folks be careful and drive safely. Everyone goes to Gen Con comes home safely. We never leave anyone behind. Only skeletons and zombies in the graveyard, not friends.

Thanks PC! I always feel tired towards the end of the work day, maybe I'll start taking a 10 min. nap every afternoon. As for GenCon, I'll have to fit them in somewhere or I know I'm going to crash well before I'm ready.

Drew

Explorer
You rock Kevin! Your job seems really cool. Very interesting stuff.

As a side note, I when I went to GenCon 2000 I was working overnights at a radio station. My friends picked me up when I got off work at 5:00 AM. My plan was to sleep in the car...my plan failed.

By 7 or 8 o'clock that night we were back in our hotel room ready to make characters with our shiny new 3E handbooks. I got about as far as rolling my Dex before I was snoring. In the morning, everyone had a new character but me. Plus, I had spent the evening in fitful sleep, yelling out at my college and rolling around a lot. 28 or so hours without sleep is NOT a good idea...but it was GenCon baby!

KnowTheToe

First Post
Tallok said:
Ah yes, powernapping, my brother is so good at it that he was able to come home after school in High School and College, take a 30-60 minute nap and be completely rested

I did that during class as not to waste time after school. My parents were surprised by my energy levels late into the night :)

Vivictus

First Post
Yeah, due to a friend falling asleep at the wheel once we rolled his car into a ditch and flipped it twice, and one person was thrown into barb wire. Everyone survived, with no seat belts, at about 70 mph. The car was actually "thrown" over since the dirt packed against the wheels down this ditch hard enough it tossed us. The other two had some injuries, but I came out with just a small bump on my leg luckily.

Also, I have trouble driving. I always feel light headed while driving and have trouble concentrating on the road. I've gone to the doctor about it but he can't tell me anything. I've gotten glasses just in case my "very slight" nearsightedness had something to do with it, and that hasn't helped. There's been a few times also where I just seemed to get VERY dizzy for a moment, like I just woke up suddenly while driving as well. I normally don't get enough sleep in a day.

So, couple questions for you then since you're the expert...

One: This light headedness I feel constantly while driving. You think this would be related to not getting much sleep? I also drink more than I probably should in case that helps, but I NEVER drive if I've even had a single beer mind you.

Two: If you get say only 4-6 hours of sleep a night, does this cumalatively add up in some way over many nights with not enough sleep? As it is today I've slept maybe 5-6 hours a night for about 4 nights now.

Anyway, good info to know. I won't be going to the con. I only go to DunDraCon here in Northern Cali. Can't afford flying to gaming conventions. :p Thanks.

Taren Nighteyes

First Post
Thanks for the info PC.

Definitely listen to the man. My best friend was killed in a car accident. Likely cause was falling asleep behind the wheel.

She was only 20, and married for only 6 months....

Taren Nighteyes

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Weird coincidence time: So, my line of work is a small community, where everyone knows everyone else because there are just a handful of other companies who do biocompatible shift scheduling and night shift training.

Last night I got an email from everyone's favorite DireKobold.com editor; as it turns out, EOL happens to be the son of one of the few other people in the industry! This is like Alsih2o discovering that one of the members here is also a potter he's known about and respected for ten years. Very, very cool, and just one more reason for me to like DireKobold.com - as if I needed another one. :D

A few thoughts:

- Spacecrime, I know there is open gaming areas at GenCon, but I have no idea where.

- Pielorinho, remember that 5-6 am is the worst, right around dawn. Be especially careful then. If you're well-rested when you start your drive, you should be okay.

- As Know the Toe and Caliban (and Vivictus and Taren!) illustrated, this sort of thing happens to everyone - and no one is immune. You can't "tough out" fatigue no matter how much willpower you have, because it's physiological and not psychological. Sleepiness is something that happens to everyone, so you're a lot better off recognizing and dealing with it than trying to pretend it isn't going to be a problem. Hey, Caliban, I'm glad you're okay!

- A few people need less sleep than normal, but don't expect that you're one of them! The vast majority of folks require 7-8 hours in order to be well-rested. Do people always get this much? Of course not. When you're getting less than that on a regular basis, you become habitually sleep deprived. You may feel normal, but you'll drop off to sleep at odd times, and you'll be a lot more irritable than normal. You'll also find yourself getting sick more often, because fatigue will depress your immune system.

- Meepo, that's exactly right - although as Christian mentioned, the body runs on a 90-110 minute cycle for most people. During that time you'll slip from light sleep (stage 1 and 2) into deep sleep (stages 3 and 4), back up into light sleep again, and you'll dream (REM sleep). You ever wake up early and feel great, drowse back off, and wake up again feeling incredibly groggy? That's because you slipped back down into deep sleep. Everyone differs a little, but sleeping in multiples of 90 minutes (tweaked as you recognize your own patterns) is a good way to make sure you wake up feeling well rested.

- dave_o, the least amount of sleep with close-to-normal functioning? Two 2-hour naps per day, spaced 12 hours apart. You'll be tired, but it can keep you going efficiently for quite some time; it's what we recommend to emergency workers. The important thing is doing 2 per day, and not one 4-hour block, because the longer you go without sleep the worse off you become.

- Chris Nightwing, how you're doing after 40 hours depends on what time of day it is. If it's bright and sunny out, you'd be pretty useless. If it's the middle of the night, you'd be completely useless. :)

- Cthulhu's Librarian, if you want to take an afternoon nap, shoot for the siesta hour (1-2 pm). Your body is naturally sleepy at that time of day anyways, so you might as well use that to your advantage.

- Vivictus, the light-headedness could be from fatigue, although it's a little odd for it to manifest that way. Does it happen when you're well rested?

Think of sleep like a bank. When you're well-rested, you can draw from your sleep bank and make it through a night or two with less sleep than normal. After one or two nights, though, your bank account is dry - and the fatigue begins to catch up with you in other ways. Luckily, you don't have to pay it back on a 1-for-1 basis, as one good night's sleep will replenish your reserves.

Last edited:

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Thanks PC, that explains alot.

I woke up on an engineering course at 8am or so, and ended up staying awake all night... I think 5-6am was the worst you are right, I had to walk across campus to stay awake - and go for a sugar rush. Then I felt like you said, drunkish whilst trying to experiment, and by dinner time I was finding it hard to concentrate on more than one thing at a time. I would be desperately trying to eat (very slowly...) and then someone would shake me because I hadn't heard them calling my name. After eating it always feels a little better I find, I found the energy to play sport for two hours despite the lack of sleep and eventually crashed for ten hours that night.

Another question though, I heard that more than about nine hours sleep leaves you feeling kind of jetlagged, any truth in this?

Henry

Autoexreginated
PCat, thank you for the info. Believe it or not, I'm printing this out and sticking it into my 'con information, because I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

Remove ads