• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon, sleep, hard-core gaming and drowsy driving

DaveStebbins

First Post
Yes. I copied the original post to my hard drive and have printed it out for friends who were travelling several times. Since my ex-wife moved over 500 miles away last summer I think of P-Kitty's advice every time I visit my daughter. I say goodbye to her at bedtime Saturday night and hit the road, stopping for naps at rest areas every time I feel myself beginning to flag (or if I suspect I'll start to flag before the next rest area). It adds time to the trip back, but I have arrived home safely Sunday morning each time, and never even been close to one of those 'almost asleep head jerks back up' episodes. I also owe many thanks to my county library system's decent collection of audiobooks on CD, which work much better than music for keeping my interest and keeping me alert as I drive.

-Dave

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Not sure if this has been said, but if you have never taken it before. Dont take Benadryl and then try to drive, that stuff knocks you out like no other. I know it says "May Cause Drowsiness" on the bottle, and you make think "aww, it cant be that bad" but really listen to the bottle on that one. :)

Peterson

First Post
Heh. Now this is a topic I can relate too. Good information to have P-Cat (for those who don't already have it), and I can agree with most, if not all, of it.

Please note - I am not a Sleep Expert. I just have been to a number of sleep clinics and done a bit of researching here and there.

Anybody who really knows me understands why. Those of you who don't....check the sig.

Again, P-Cat - thanks for bringing this information to the masses of gamers. I've seen more of my players get into car accidents due to our rather odd gaming habits, and have since established a few ground rules as well as changing play times.

Peterson

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Meeeeemories....

I love this Zombie thread. :)

edgarandzombies.jpg

Shadowdancer

First Post
With GenCon just around the corner, this needs to be resurrected.

Also, glad they caught the Interstate sniper in Indiana before the GenCon traffic started going through.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I had some experience with sleep deprivation, and luckily, they were more funny than tragic, but they tought me a lesson.

Back in the day, I used to attend LAN-parties. Some at friends' houses, some in gyms, and so on. I remember two gaming marathons.

The first was in some old house that wasn't used otherwise. It stood on the grounds of one of the gamers, behind their "real" house. I remember being there playing Team Fortress, TFC and Counter-Strike, with short periods of eating and maybe watching a movie or something, and otherwise living off coke mostly. I was awake about 40 hours straight (we had sleeping arrangements, but sleep's for losers, right?) I remember that somewhere saturday-sunday night, I went to sleep after all, when I noticed that I stuck to the shadows on my way to the toilet. I was sneaking around, crouching, and stuff - and not to be funny. I think if anyone had one of those red dot laser pointers and aimed at the wall in front of me, I'd have jumped off the stairs to safe myself from the sniper.

The other was a commercial affair with 300 people in a sports hall. Again I was awake about 40 hours straight (I didn't really trust people there enough to leave my PC unobserved - my PCs tend to be made up of top-notch pieces, not the cheap ones from a grocery store), browsing the ethernet for nice stuff or playing games. I also remember that I drove home after that. Somewhere around 2am saturday-sunday night. Since there was no city around, only villages, there was practically no traffic except me. And that wasn't a bad thing, I guess. I remember stepping on the brakes because that big white stag on the road. A moment later I realized it was just fog.

After that, I swore to myself never to drive again after 40 hours without sleep (or any other lengthy period of sleepless time).

So, people: Don't think that caffeine will help you. Don't think that you're a tough monkey who won't be affected by "a little lack of sleep". Being awake for that long will play merry hell with your reactions, with your perception, and imposes a -20 penalty to reality checks. Getting back late is better than being late.

Belen

Adventurer
Pielorinho said:
Thanks, Kevin! My brother and I are leaving Asheville around 2 am to make it to Indianapolis by around 10 am; I'll make sure to go to bed early enough to get those all-important 5 hours of sleep. And yay switching off driving!

Daniel

I thought you said that you could not make it?

Remove ads