• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gencon, WOTC, and D20 Modern

Ranger REG

Explorer
NMC said:
My point here is not that this makes it difficult to produce source material; your examples are good indications of that. I think it does make it difficult for WotC to offer adventures at Gen Con, though, since they'd need to settle on one specific type of Modern adventure to offer.
That's the drawback for making a generic ruleset with no parameter that a campaign setting usually gives.

The best you can do is offer the GM adventure seeds, as well as how to put together an adventure for d20 Modern to their preferable taste and flavor.

NMC said:
For adventures, I think it's easier for them to let the outside publishers cover those needs.
Unfortunately, most publishers are seeing the way WotC sees: there is no profit in selling published adventures, at least not through the printed route.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Vigilance said:
The Darwin's World adventure was "Feeding Grounds", set in my home campaign of the Fertile Crescent (the Great Lakes region)...
Any likelihood there will be more Fertile Crescent regional material making its way to publish?

Vigilance

Explorer
Eric Anondson said:
Any likelihood there will be more Fertile Crescent regional material making its way to publish?

Oh yeah. I wrote the gazetteer for the Fertile Crescent awhile ago. There's so much material in the pipeline for DW at any one time however, that there's a greater delay.

That said, I think we're real close.

Also, the adventure is designed as an introductory adventure, meaning the lack of a gazetteer right now is not a hindrance to running it. It was meant as a bottle adventure, with the PCs being soldiers from the time of the apocalypse who had been in cryo, waking up in the ghoul infested "Feeding Grounds".

So other than the adventure itself, all you need is the Darwin's World core rules. One of the two endings of the adventure ends with the PCs escaping to the Fertile Crescent, which allows it to be used as an introduction to the region.

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Unfortunately, most publishers are seeing the way WotC sees: there is no profit in selling published adventures, at least not through the printed route.

I agree with you for the most part. Even in PDF, it's a hard sell to take the time to do a full-length adventure in one smash.

However, we've had some good luck using our Modern Dispatch as a vehicle for longer adventures, that are published serially. Some of our most successful issues do this, like my Iraqi adventure for Blood and Guts (Dry County, Leads and Complexities and Gun Runners). Each adventure is in the 5-6 page range, they stand alone as mini-adventures, but when you link them up, they start to resemble full length adventures ;)

Since it worked for B&G, we're trying it again for our sci-fi setting Prometheus Rising. Powderkeg #1 is out now and I'm writing part 2.

Chuck

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads