• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gencon, WOTC, and D20 Modern

So happened to Alternity, so will happen to d20 Modern

Said it before, saying it again.

WotC is going to pull support for d20 Modern to start work on 4E, just like they did to Alternity to start work on 3E.

Call me psychic... or psycho.

JPL

Adventurer
uraniumdragon said:

WotC is going to pull support for d20 Modern to start work on 4E, just like they did to Alternity to start work on 3E.

Possible. Seems like apples and oranges, though --- WotC pulled the plug on all non-d20 stuff (like the SAGA system and Alternity) to get into the d20 business exclusively. If anything, I'd think they would want to pump out some more d20 Modern stuff in the months leading up to 4.0, since 3.5 sales will presumably decline steeply.

Another benefit of a d20 Modern 2.0 would be a chance to test-drive some of the changes contemplated for D&D 4.0.

Ranger REG

Explorer
JPL said:
Some folks might. I didn't think I needed D&D 3.5 until I actually read it and saw some of the improvements that had been made.
That's funny, because when I got a good look at 3.5e back in 2003, it wasn't that big of a deal to be called a 3.5e revision. It's more like 3.11e. IOW, I wasn't in a rush to update my rulebooks. In fact, I'm still waiting for WotC to start rolling out the $30 Special Edition Printing of the Dungeon Master's Guide v.3.5e.

Vigilance

Explorer
uraniumdragon said:

Thing is, if that happens to d20 Modern, it won't have the drastic effect on the game that it had on Alternity. Thanks to the OGL, people like me can keep on keepin' on regardless of what WOTC does.

With an Alternity type situation, where you can only continue to work on it in a non-profit, fan capacity, you lose people like me (and the many other fine publishers making professional works for d20M).

But that won't happen this time, which I think makes a big difference.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, as an observation: None of the local bookstores carry D20 Modern books that are less than two years old - and they have had those same copies of those books the whole time. Other books in the D20 Modern line have come and gone, but those are the only ones on the shelf. Not even the core book is on the shelf, and hasn't been for all this time.

If the retailers are not restocking then WotC is not making money on the line. For most game companies the dedicated gamestores can bring in enough cash flow to justify a line, but WotC needs the support of chain bookstores such as Borders, Barnes & Noble, and Waldenbooks.

So, while D20 Modern is bringing in enough money for the third party publishers to thrive on it may not be worth WotC's time. I rather hope that Dark*Matter can turn that around, not because I particularly like D20 Modern, but because I like Dark*Matter. :p

The Auld Grump

hobgoblin

First Post
Psion said:
I was ready to buy everything that came out for d20 modern by wotc after I bought Menace Manual.

My momentary lack of discernment was quickly punished by Weapons Locker. :(

hmm, may i ask why? isnt the book just what it sets out to be, a big collection of guns?
and while im on that subject, how does it compare to that other book of guns for d20 modern, ultramodern firearms?

Psion

Adventurer
hobgoblin said:
hmm, may i ask why? isnt the book just what it sets out to be, a big collection of guns?

Pretty much.

Here's the deal though: Menace Manual set a high standard, and also set a certain tone. That's where my problem lay.

The book is a big book of guns. The problem is that is all it is. Every other d20 modern book to date has features some variety of magic, superscience, or alien technology, and Menace Manual took this and did wonders with it. Weapons Lockers comes out, I'm expecting a book that might have a strange array of weapons. Instead I am greeted with a rather straight laced expose on firearms.

As for comparisons with UMF... Weapons Lockers has more guns and packs em in. But I think that UMF makes a better gaming supplement, not just an extended weapons list for gunbunnies. UMF has things like listings of weapons used by forces around the world, and quick shopping lists for players who are not the ultimate gun bunnies. So even for the sort of book it is, I think Weapons Locker is outclassed by UMF.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Psion said:
The book is a big book of guns. The problem is that is all it is. Every other d20 modern book to date has features some variety of magic, superscience, or alien technology, and Menace Manual took this and did wonders with it. Weapons Lockers comes out, I'm expecting a book that might have a strange array of weapons. Instead I am greeted with a rather straight laced expose on firearms.
IIRC, didn't Weapon Locker material being peddled on this forum .... BEFORE WotC paid the author and published it?

kingpaul

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I would submit D20 Future definitely belongs in the "rotting eggs" category :(
If you're looking for a book that's one cohesive line of thought, yes, I agree with that. But, if you look at it as a toolkit, then its very good. YMMV.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads