• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General D&D Discussion

So I get that the "General RPG" discussion is now for all-tabletops-other-than-D&D- (and Pathfinder), and D&D and Pathfinder get discussed in their own forums.

However, we have multiple D&D forums. Where's the discussion for D&D general, non-edition-specific discussion go?

(I'd nominate General ... wasn't broke; didn't need to be fixed.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
General expanded; it didn't shrink.

If it's not specific to a particular edition, chuck it in Tabletop. We might be combining some of the specific forums anyway. We've evolved into a "lots of quiet forums" culture rather than "a few busy forums". Lesson learned is: strident people are usually wrong! Quiet masses are always right!

Last edited:

grodog

Hero
But why change the directory/URL name, then, if discussion is still "general tabletop gaming"---could just change the descriptor for the board and leave the URLs (and bookmarks and google searches, etc.) intact :erm:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But why change the directory/URL name, then, if discussion is still "general tabletop gaming"---could just change the descriptor for the board and leave the URLs (and bookmarks and google searches, etc.) intact :erm:

You can't do one without the other. The software doesn't work like that.

Li Shenron

Legend
General expanded; it didn't shrink.

If it's not specific to a particular edition, chuck it in Tabletop. We might be combining some of the specific forums anyway. We've evolved into a "lots of quiet forums" culture rather than "a few busy forums". Lesson learned is: strident people are usually wrong! Quiet masses are always right!

Well at least the description is misleading then: "For discussion of ALL tabletop gaming except D&D and Pathfinder which belong in the dedicated forums below."

Clear for Pathfinder, but if I read "except D&D" then I am lead to think that if I have a discussion to start about D&D but not edition-specific, then I should not post here, but the truth is that I should...

mmadsen

First Post
You can't do one without the other. The software doesn't work like that.
You can keep the forum name and URL the same but just change the description.

For instance, this forum is named and described above as:
Meta Post comments and questions about the messageboards and other parts of EN World. If you have a problem, this is where to go. Moderator email addresses are posted here.​

Breaking all old links is not cool.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So it IS still the place for talking about D&D that isn't edition-specific? Just checking 'cause the description now says that it isn't.

Tabletop Gaming would be the place to talk about D&D that isn't edition specific, yes.

I wonder how long it'll take before I stop referring it to as "General" out of habit.

Tabletop Gaming would be the place to talk about D&D that isn't edition specific, yes.

I wonder how long it'll take before I stop referring it to as "General" out of habit.

Simpler: please change the name back to "General" (which is about as generic and general a name as you can get), and correct the description to show that it allows general editionless D&D discussion still.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Simpler: please change the name back to "General" (which is about as generic and general a name as you can get)

The name wasn't "General". It was "General RPG Discussion", and that's not as general as you might think, since it is RPG-specific. We pretty clearly have an audience for tabletop board games and card games on this site as well, but discussion was languishing for lack of a clear home.

It isn't like Morrus changed the name just for the heck of it - he had decent reasons for it.

How about we try it out for a while, and see how well it works, hm? It isn't like this place runs on rocket-science-exact tolerances at the best of times. If it works poorly, we can adjust.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads