General Discussion Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bront

The man with the probe
GnomeWorks said:
It's one.
Cool, this is the section that had me confused.

Creamsteak said:
CRAFT POINTS
To spend Craft points toward the creation of an alchemical, masterwork, or magic item, you must have the requisite Craft feat (such as Craft Masterwork Armor for creating a masterwork chain shirt) or assist someone who does (see Assisting, below). Crafting nonmasterwork armor and weapons or simple items-tools, chests, saddles, and the like-doesn't require a Craft feat. Anyone who helps with the creation of such an item can contribute craft points at the normal rate.

It's also in UA too. Probably just an oversight.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
UA doesn't use Craft Masterwork Item, IIRC; they use multiple. We modified the system so that all the masterwork feats were condensed into one.

Bront

The man with the probe
Cool, probably should revise that line then to make it clearer.

FYI: Troi's beeing dragged around with the part at the festival at the moment unless you say otherwise. I'm waiting for You, Rystil, and Two to chime in before we move to the next day, though they've managed to find someone to talk to in the mean time.

Bront

The man with the probe
FYI for everyone.

Your average adventuring party on foot on a road should be able to cover about 50 miles a day at a moderate pace, without killing themselves. A horse pulled wagon loaded will move at about the same pace.

A group on horseback should be able to travel 75-100 miles a day at a moderate pace on a road, depending on the horses and the loads they are carrying.

Conditions other than these will change this.

This is just a note so we can get travel times somewhat consistant. Obviously, these are approximate figures, but it bears watching, so you don't have one party mysteriously make a trip in one day when they would normaly make it in a week.

Use the maps as guidance. Hopefully we can get some updated maps, as well as some expanded area maps of newer areas that have been explored. Otherwise, it will become the increadable morphing landscape.

El Jefe

First Post
Wow. In real life, that would represent a truly epic movement rate. As a point of comparison, a movement of 20 miles per day on foot is considered a day's work by a modern infantryman carrying full gear and walking on a good road.

However, in D20 terms, it's much simpler. A character that moves at 20 feet covers 16 miles in a day, one that moves at 30 feet covers 24 miles in a day. If you try to move faster than that (hustle), you'll start taking nonlethal damage. That also assumes 8 hours per day of movement and 16 hours of making camp, resting, etc. If you go past 8 hours of movement a day (forced march), then you start making Con checks to avoid nonlethal damage.

A cart or wagon covers 16 miles per day.

Various mounts can exceed the above rates. The range is between 16 miles per day for a donkey or mule with a medium or heavy load to 48 miles per day for a light horse with a light load. You can push a mount past those limits, but the mount starts taking lethal damage. Yes, you can ride a horse to death...just like in real life.

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, so I overestimated. I find it strange when I know people who regularly at a normal pace will cover 10 miles in 2.5 hours, but that's usually not when carrying much.

We should standardize it though, so we don't have the above problem (Or worse).

orsal

LEW Judge
Bront said:
Ok, so I overestimated. I find it strange when I know people who regularly at a normal pace will cover 10 miles in 2.5 hours, but that's usually not when carrying much.

We should standardize it though, so we don't have the above problem (Or worse).

Isn't it already standardized? From the SRD, e.g. at this page -- see the tables "movement and distance" and "mounts and vehicles".

In a nutshell: each 10' of movement speed translates to 1 mile per hour; the standard day is eight hours of walking without risk of fatigue.

Bront

The man with the probe
Go ahead, flaunt the rules :p

Don't forget to read the scale of the map then.

Looks like Covington might be a bit farther north that I had thought, though not to bad.

Xael

First Post
My character Almayce will so be getting a carriage with two Light Warhorse Skeletons someday. He could then travel pretty damn fast, since those horses wouldn't get tired.

Actually, I think he would have money for the horses and a scroll of Animate Dead now, but he's got something else to buy first.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Xael said:
Actually, I think he would have money for the horses and a scroll of Animate Dead now, but he's got something else to buy first.

So, he'd buy horses, run them to death, and then animate them? :uhoh:

Hopefully he doesn't do that to companions (No, I'll fix him after he does of the wound...:confused: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads