• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I agree about the intent, if for no other reason that it would make absolutely NO sense to make a first level spell that's not of any use until fifth level.

jkason

First Post
I agree about the intent, if for no other reason that it would make absolutely NO sense to make a first level spell that's not of any use until fifth level.

This. I can't think of any other spell that provides no effect whatsoever at the level you can first cast it, let alone one that provides no effect for an additional 4 levels thereafter.

If it's any help, that puts it roughly in line with the bonus from a bard's existing (non-stackable) Inspire Courage ability, anyway (and even slightly behind Inspire Competence). Since it's a bard-only spell, the idea seems to have been for a spell bards can use if they didn't start singing at the beginning of combat, or wanted to burn spells instead of performance rounds. As such, the second progression PM posts would also fit that, as well.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Levels 0-4 = +0, Levels 5-9 = +1, Levels 10-14 = +2, Level 15+ = +3
When I first read it I assumed it was a minimum of +1, so it would be Levels 1-9 = +1, Levels 10-14 = +2, Level 15+ = +3

But it was conspicuously missing the +1 minimum. Considering the wording of many other bonuses, I think they mucked this one up on the wording.

I think we are going to have to vote an official interpretation and record it somewhere for all our bards.

I vote YEA for Levels 1-5 = +1, Levels 6-10 = +2, Level 11+ = +3

Satin Knights

First Post
I am happy to announce that Aura has been selected as the next judge for LPF, replacing the retired Qik.

Aura has shown immense community spirit over the last year in running DWI NPCs, GMing adventures, approving characters and has been fun to play with. Such fine work is rewarded with more control in the shaping of our shared world.

Congratulations Aura!

Remove ads