General Discussion

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Likewise. If I'm not using a map from a PDF that already has a grid marked, I use Photoshop to add one in. I typically also go ahead and add grid labels while I'm at it, just in case there's someone who can't/won't move their own pieces around - that way they can post the coordinates and I can update the map.

jkason

First Post
The grid is simple enough for me, though it does still feel odd that isn't a feature. *shrug*

The coordinates are the massive pain in my neck that I was hoping to avoid with ditzie. I use GIMP, and I've never been able to get the text blocks to line up cleanly with a given grid, so there's multiple text boxes and kerning / line space adjustment, and this inevitably leads to 'destroy light up box' rage, so... I'll probably just stick with the grid for now. :)

Thanks for the help, guys! :)

GlassEye

Adventurer
I would create a document with blank grid and coords and save it separately then add it on top of whatever map I'm using when I need it so you only have to create it once. Obviously, this won't work if the map already has a grid; I've tried to align a grid on top of a grid and it just doesn't work (for me).

jkason

First Post
I got a grid overlay, but probably going to skip the coordinates and see how that goes. Like I said, getting the two to line up is always a pain for me, and even if I saved it off, I'd likely have to scale it up and down per map.

We'll see. I'm trying it out. If everybody in the game cries foul, I'll see about changing it, but for now I'm trying to pre-save some of my sanity by doing as little as necessary on the image / mapping front, since I know I get frustrated pretty quickly dealing with it. :)

grtrtle

First Post
Foul! Foul! Wilmorn cries.

Just kidding. If there are markers on the map we can just give our positions in a descriptive manner. For example...Wilmorn moves to SW of the red dragon and fillets it for 10,000 damage.

jkason

First Post
If I can get it to work, ditzie lets you guys just drag your icons around the map yourselves. Of course, now that I set up the map and the icons, my gallery suddenly won't show up, nor will the map, so it may all be moot... :(

ETA: So, apparently, uploading the wrong file type breaks the ditzie map interface entirely without presenting any errors. I solved something on my own! Woot!

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
The grid is simple enough for me, though it does still feel odd that isn't a feature. *shrug*

The coordinates are the massive pain in my neck that I was hoping to avoid with ditzie. I use GIMP, and I've never been able to get the text blocks to line up cleanly with a given grid, so there's multiple text boxes and kerning / line space adjustment, and this inevitably leads to 'destroy light up box' rage, so... I'll probably just stick with the grid for now. :)

Thanks for the help, guys! :)
Ditzie is not really a map maker tool.

I use RPTools' MapTool for that. Easy enough to add grids and grid coordinates with any image. You might have to stretch the image horizontal and vertical until you get the existing grid to match if you already have one. But that never takes me more than 1-2 minutes.

Here is my DM Workshop on that tool: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...kshop-Series&p=5750548&viewfull=1#post5750548

GlassEye

Adventurer
<Standard Holiday Disclaimer goes here.>

Yeah, I'll be working all day tomorrow then traveling tomorrow night. Then with the family through Saturday so not sure how much posting will be accomplished over the next several days.

Remove ads