• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

MerryMortician

Explorer
This is fascinating stuff. Thank you all for the answers. I'll second the relevance of a Wiki page but I'm woefully inexperienced with the coding and think I might flub it up. In general, were real-world languages selected more often based on phonetic sounds or on a certain "feel" of cultural similarities?

GlassEye

Adventurer
We do have a wiki page for Languages. It would be a small matter to add a paragraph outlining the language equivalencies.

I'd add to the discussion that I've also (as DM) used Ghoti as the language for the tribesmen in the Grasslands of the Pell even though it isn't listed on the wiki. And while Scott uses German as the equivalent of Old Landellian, I think Systole originally intended it to be more like Latin, the ancestral language of the other Landellian languages now only spoken in remote and secluded areas.

As for why certain language were used I think it is both: some based on phonetic sounds and some on the feel of cultural similarities.

ealt

Explorer
When I was picking it I looked at languages to base it off of. I liked Sumerian cuneiform, but that's hard to find a translator for if you wanna use it. I also considered Sanskrit.

MerryMortician

Explorer
I don't see anything on the Wiki and I haven't come across anything in previous adventures I've read. Does Tritower have any standing military strength beyond a local militia? Or do they count on Venza? I'm putting the finishing touches on my new character on paper before transcribing to the Wiki and I don't want to contradict anything previously established.

sunshadow21

Explorer
They have a combination of militia and enough regular troops to comfortably cover their immediate sphere of influence in case of a sudden emergency and keep banditry well in check. They wouldn't be able to go invading anybody with their forces, but any invading forces would get a strong immediate reaction until Venzan troops could show up, chase them away, and pursue them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads