• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

MerryMortician

Explorer
So Heinrich has established Old Landellian as being German-inspired, if not straight-up German. Draconic is readily available online. Are there any other E'n languages that have been determined analogous to real languages, or that have been partially developed?

BigB

First Post
I would like to have a cloak commissioned for Tsaaruk. The cloak would be like the lion cloak but instead of lion be a dire wolf. Having beaten the wolf king I like the story line and want to move it forward, having taken the hide of the wolf king he has it made into a cloak that grants him the ability to shape change to a dire wolf albeit limited in duration and frequency.

The problem is can I just change out the name and beast form as fluff and use the cost of the lion cloak or how do I calculate the cost?

Commander_Fallout

First Post
So Heinrich has established Old Landellian as being German-inspired, if not straight-up German. Draconic is readily available online. Are there any other E'n languages that have been determined analogous to real languages, or that have been partially developed?

Well, the general consesus of Rhat'manati is that it's essentially Arabic, while my personal interpretation of the Wayang tongue is that it's essentially Javanese.

I guess Venzan/New Landellian is Venetian, although you have to wonder what happened to cause such a drastic change in tongue. My personal headcanon is that the merfolk were the analogues of the Romans in ages long past but are now little better than second-class citizens in Venzaz. I have absolutely no evidence to back that up. However, since there is no posted history for them, there's nothing keeping me from proposing it, eh?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure

I might add that Heinrich is from a 'bavarian like mountainous' area. There could be 'alp like' mountains between new and old landenell to separate the cultures.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I would like to have a cloak commissioned for Tsaaruk. The cloak would be like the lion cloak but instead of lion be a dire wolf. Having beaten the wolf king I like the story line and want to move it forward, having taken the hide of the wolf king he has it made into a cloak that grants him the ability to shape change to a dire wolf albeit limited in duration and frequency.

The problem is can I just change out the name and beast form as fluff and use the cost of the lion cloak or how do I calculate the cost?

I think using the Lion Cloak as is and changing the name and appearance of the beast form is probably the easiest way. No mechanics actually change and the price stays the same. Although using the actual form of the dire wolf probably wouldn't be a problem. While transformed it would give trip instead of grab and pounce, and move of 50 instead of 40. Pretty fair trade offs to me but I would like another judge or two to weigh in.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I might add that Heinrich is from a 'bavarian like mountainous' area. There could be 'alp like' mountains between new and old landenell to separate the cultures.

Which would be the south near the Seithr Mountains. I'm not sure what you mean by 'new and old Landadel'

Also, gnomish is something like Tagalog, I believe.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!

We've used Tagalog for Gnomish in some place names - it just reads like Gnomish to me.

I used Finnish for HaGruut (a barbarian tribe in the Seithr mountains).

EDIT: Ninja'd by GlassEye!

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Would it be possible to collect this info on the wikia somewhere? My halfling might spend a ton of skill points on languages, and this might be useful in the future.

Scott DeWar

What is used for draconic? Georgian? I tried to reverse translate-detect language and It went with georgian for a partial translation. We could designate something like estonian or something for elvish.

Scott DeWar

We've used Tagalog for Gnomish in some place names - it just reads like Gnomish to me.

I used Finnish for HaGruut (a barbarian tribe in the Seithr mountains).
I don't see tagalog anywhere. also the barbarian - finnish is fitting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads