General Discussion

jkason

First Post
Two questions on the Efficient Quiver

* What action is it to pull a bow / weapon from the quiver? The text says "as if from a regular quiver or scabbard," but as I understand it, drawing from a quiver is a free action (there is no reload action for a bow, at least), but drawing from a scabbard is a move action, yes?

* Can you put smaller items in the longer sections? I'll probably get a few spears for Eanos and a backup bow, but adding a big bunch of javelins seems unnecessary; If he's having to do that much throwing vs. shooting, he's probably in much more trouble than a few mundane javelins will get him out of. On the other hand, if he can put his 16 silvered blunt arrows in the javelin section (or, in future, 18 arrows in the javelin compartment and 2 in spaces for the spear/bow segment), he has room for a fourth set of arrows in the main arrow compartment (thus letting me have mundane piercing and blunt arrows and letting me keep the cold iron and silver in reserve for when they're needed). Thoughts?

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I think you are almost answering your own questions. ;)
If an item requires a Move Action to draw normally, it requires a Move Action to draw from the efficient quiver.

The compartments give you the sizes of carrying capacity. I am sure you can put lesser sized items in there instead. Just need to calculations to determine how many if you think you are reaching the limits.

jkason

First Post
I think you are almost answering your own questions. ;)
If an item requires a Move Action to draw normally, it requires a Move Action to draw from the efficient quiver.

Seems reasonable to me. I suppose I found it odd since most action-centric text is more explicit. Seemed odd to me that there was no mention of move/free/standard in the entry for efficient quiver.

By comparison, a Handy Haversack explicitly calls out the action needed to retrieve, and even provides the extra benefit of negating AoO while doing so. I wasn't sure if the quiver (which uses the same base spell: secret chest) might also provide some extra move benefit that I wasn't seeing.

It's more than fine without said benefit, mind you, but I didn't want to misread and miss out. :)

The compartments give you the sizes of carrying capacity. I am sure you can put lesser sized items in there instead. Just need to calculations to determine how many if you think you are reaching the limits.

I'm not planning on trying to do any "an arrow is half a javelin" math to recalculate the segments, just because it'd be a major pain for me. I'm fine with "18 items" being a hard limit, whether I chose to have those items be javelin-sized or smaller. I just wanted to make sure using smaller items didn't have a 'retrieval penalty' of some kind because I'd have to 'reach further in' or something.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
My router is on the fritz - not sure what's wrong with it, but I'll have some time to tinker tonight so hopefully I can get back online soon.

Apologies to those in my games, and to those who're running games in which my characters currently reside.

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Heh. It's still trying to figure out how my Alma Mater managed to win at the Convocation Center earlier this month, Mowgli, that's all. :)

However, my computer must also be in the same mode. The Logic Board in my Mac lost it's grip on the cooling fan and it went *fzzzt*. It can't cool the processor. Optical drive also croaked. On my windows Laptop for the week, this weekend will get a proper replacement. Glad I had this around to run Core Rules for AD&D. :D

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The ways and means of today's electronic devices are truly the great mystery of the universe. Everything was working once more when I returned home; the status light was back from orange to green and I connected with no problem.

Hmmm. It must have figured out the Great Convocation Center Conundrum. :D

IronWolf

blank
The ways and means of today's electronic devices are truly the great mystery of the universe. Everything was working once more when I returned home; the status light was back from orange to green and I connected with no problem.

Sometimes devices just conspire against us. Last week I was going to run my normal face-to-face Kingmaker game over Google Hangouts due to some other factors. Between a cable modem going bad and super slow hotel Internet for another it just didn't happen.

Qik

First Post
Maybe I should just make a proposal thread, but I guess I wanted to see others' reactions first.

How does everyone feel about the Dervish Dance feat? It goes a long way for making Dexterity-based fighters viable, which I think is really nice for certain character concepts and builds.

Thoughts?

jkason

First Post
How does everyone feel about the Dervish Dance feat? It goes a long way for making Dexterity-based fighters viable, which I think is really nice for certain character concepts and builds.

Thoughts?

Huh. Somehow I had it in my head you could use that feat in conjunction with two-weapon fighting. I guess the title made me think of someone spinning about with blades in each hand. :)

With the twf restriction, it certainly doesn't seem to be overpowered to me, at least.

Remove ads