General Discussion

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Does LPF have any special availability rules for poison, or is it available as mundane / masterwork items are?

From SRD:

No other affliction is so prevalent as poison. From the fangs of a viper to the ichor-stained assassin's blade, poison is a constant threat

So I'd think it pretty readily available if you knew someone to buy it from.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Does LPF have any special availability rules for poison, or is it available as mundane / masterwork items are?

No special rules that I remember. While it does make some sense to me to have to roll for availability, weaponry & alchemical items (acid, etc.) that are just as dangerous don't have a roll. People tend to have different attitudes towards poison, though. It could go either way, imo. What do others think?

I found a pdf someone made of lots and lots of poisons for either 3e or PF. I can post it if people are interested.

I'd be interested.

Qik

First Post
I'd vote to have to roll, personally; it seems both rarefied and below-the-radar enough to warrant it. Just my 2 cp.

jkason

First Post
Argh. Seach fu failing me. I can't find the rules on how medium - heavy loads impede spell casting. I swore they just supplied a spell failure chance a la similar armors, but my player seems to think it's total shutdown on casting. I checked the magic, wizard, and carrying capacity sections, and the best I could find was that medium encumbrance is similar to medium armor for abilities affected by it. But since different armors in the same category have different spell failure rates (as opposed to the matching movement rates), I'm not sure how that would be applied.

IronWolf

blank
Argh. Seach fu failing me. I can't find the rules on how medium - heavy loads impede spell casting. I swore they just supplied a spell failure chance a la similar armors, but my player seems to think it's total shutdown on casting. I checked the magic, wizard, and carrying capacity sections, and the best I could find was that medium encumbrance is similar to medium armor for abilities affected by it. But since different armors in the same category have different spell failure rates (as opposed to the matching movement rates), I'm not sure how that would be applied.

I self-admittedly am not the rules guru around here, but I didn't think encumbrance affected spell casting, just armor. I don't see any reference to it on the wizard class page where arcane spell casting and armor is explained.

If I check the encumbrance page then there is a chart that has the check penalty listed for medium and heavy encumbrance, but check penalties aren't arcane spell failure percentages as listed for each armor entry on the equipment pages.

Again, I'm not the rules guru around here though - so maybe one of them will be by to prove me wrong! ;)

jkason

First Post
If I check the encumbrance page then there is a chart that has the check penalty listed for medium and heavy encumbrance, but check penalties aren't arcane spell failure percentages as listed for each armor entry on the equipment pages.

I've been assuming that this line on the same page:

A medium or heavy load counts as medium or heavy armor for the purpose of abilities or skills that are restricted by armor.

means encumbrance should do something for spells with somatic components, since I'd consider those arcane spells are an ability 'restricted by armor.' But, as you said, since check penalty isn't the same thing as spell failure, I can't figure out how much it should impact it.

Remove ads