• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

Systole

First Post
Not sure what it was exactly, but not being able to get into a flank to take advantage of sneak attack sucked. Especially for a small character where your sneak attack damage is bigger than your weapon damage.

Yeah ... I have the same problem with my live-game rogue, which I'm about to retire. Even with a dedicated group and GM, it's almost impossible to set up situations which play to a rogue's strengths.

For what it's worth, I was actively trying to set up flanks for you with Daylily and it was still damn near impossible.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Re: Feats. I cannot remember, are the Monster Feats in the Bestiary available to use for characters?

Specifically, Improved Natural Armor and Improved Natural Attack. A dragon Disciple has a claws feature and natural armor bonuses.

Later on there is potential for flying too, so Hover and Fly-by-Attack are potentially useful.

mfloyd3

Explorer
As long as we're discussing characters we're unhappy with, I'm considering retiring Garnet Sharnhearth after her current adventure. She's perfectly effective at what she does, it's just that what she does is not very interesting. The "axe and shield" approach works well, in that she consistently deals moderate levels of damage (though with the rolls in the current fight, it's been very moderate indeed :) and she has the AC to take hits.

The problem is that there really aren't many interesting decisions for her. To make good use of her abilities, she needs to stand somewhere and hit someone. This is fine, but other designs lend themselves well to interesting tactics. She's eligible for the feat that gives her a free Bull Rush after a blow with her shield in a couple of levels, which adds a little spice, but is still very situational.

Still, LPF seems a bit short of melee characters. Anyone want to suggest an interesting melee build? I'm toying with a mounted Ranger (halfling wolfrider), if anyone has any experience with that kind of build.

Thanks,
M

GlassEye

Adventurer
Re: Feats. I cannot remember, are the Monster Feats in the Bestiary available to use for characters?

Specifically, Improved Natural Armor and Improved Natural Attack. A dragon Disciple has a claws feature and natural armor bonuses.

Later on there is potential for flying too, so Hover and Fly-by-Attack are potentially useful.

I don't think it has come up before but from the way things are worded on the Creating a Character page on the wiki I would say that no, they aren't available for use. The Bestiaries aren't listed as sources for characters and the feats aren't called out on the feats page. You could always make a proposal...

perrinmiller

Adventurer
The Bestiaries aren't listed as sources for characters and the feats aren't called out on the feats page. You could always make a proposal...
Except you can use a few races listed in them. ;)

I will make a proposal. I am working on Cythera's level up and I wonder if I can use them for her.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Except you can use a few races listed in them. ;)

I will make a proposal. I am working on Cythera's level up and I wonder if I can use them for her.

Sure, but those races are specifically listed on that wiki page as being open for player use. I'd vote in favor of making those feats available.

Satin Knights

First Post
Still, LPF seems a bit short of melee characters. Anyone want to suggest an interesting melee build? I'm toying with a mounted Ranger (halfling wolfrider), if anyone has any experience with that kind of build.
What we are short of is healers. We have zero full time clerics and only two full time oracles. Arianna and Agno have dipped into cleric, but Zelena is the only one with more than one level.

A melee build of a cleric is quite viable and desperately needed. As it is, we have four rangers sitting in the DWI at the moment.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
What we are short of is healers. We have zero full time clerics and only two full time oracles. Arianna and Agno have dipped into cleric, but Zelena is the only one with more than one level.

A melee build of a cleric is quite viable and desperately needed. As it is, we have four rangers sitting in the DWI at the moment.

I'm also strongly considering retiring Pari, and was actually thinking of replacing him with a Monk/Cleric. The build I'm thinking of involves him working up to level 4 as a Monk, then experiencing satori, leading him to slightly alter his alignment and take up the priesthood. I'd use some DMC to boost him to level 8, making him Monk 4/Cleric 4, with the intention of advancing as a Cleric from that point forward. I'd see his place in a game as healer and support rather than melee - he'll have enough AC and melee ability to defend himself adequately and a few melee type spells, but he'd mainly be a buffer/healer/channeler. He'd be a little behind the curve because of the Monk levels, but the character concept spoke to me.

This is one of the reasons I started the discussion of the replacement for Leadership feat (one of his domains will be Leadership), and why I'd like to get a consensus on purchases of items more expensive than the current size of Venza will support.

BreninyrHydref.png

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post

My 3rd character was going to be a buffer healer cleric similar to Mowlgi's idea (Leadership and Heroism domains, worshiping Saint Swords). I can switch it for something more melee focused if I have to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads