• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

Systole

First Post
We've got a lot of dieties that need some love, and we've basically put a moratorium on new ones. Is it best just to tackle all of the leftovers at once?

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Cool. Pantheon fleshing out. Might be a good idea to bump this to an entirely new thread, not just for Calisto but for all of the deities. Maybe get volunteers to spend a few quality minutes thinking out those that they have used with their characters. Such as Calisto with TSS. Grant, we'd want to make sure those whose characters worship said deity have some input as well. I know there's a ton of Sapo worshipers running around, so that'd be a fun discussion. Maybe a thread for each deity as they start to be tackled? Someone writes a proposal for the deity to flesh them out, posts it and then general input to tweak it to perfection?

This could be cool. And since Audra is the only char I have in an adventure at the moment, I could take a whack at helping out.

Qik

First Post
Right, so I'm having some trouble choosing a new level 1 spell for Ni, so I thought I'd open this up to the group.

A few front runners: Protection from Evil, Reduce Person, and Unseen Servant. Unseen Servant seems like it would be a fun option, but I don't have much experience using it; I'd hate to end up having it sit unused. I know Shield is favorable, but Lu is losing out on his combat effectiveness by the level, so I'm planning on relying increasingly on my summons. If anything, I might just grab a wand of it.

Thoughts?

Systole

First Post
Reduce Person and Unseen Servant are wizard spells. As in, nice to have in your spellbook so you can use them that one time, but nothing you would want as a spontaneous caster.

So if that's the list, Prot Evil is the best. If you're adding to it. Shield, Expeditious Retreat, and Ray of Sickening are pretty good. However, Ni has a 19 Cha, which means he's much more of an offensive summoner than the typical summoner. As in, a 15 DC save is harder than a 13 DC save. So if my summoner, Sylla, took Grease, it would be kinda useless. If Ni took, Ray of Sickening, it would be pretty good.

EDIT: Much alcohol in my sytem as I type this. Please excuse grammer, insert sanity.

EDIT 2: Holy crap. I misspelled 'grammar.' Even drunk, I am overwhelmed with shame.

Last edited:

Qik

First Post
Hmm...well Ray of Sickening would certainly be the kind of spell I would like to take. It would round out my capabilities much more than Protection from Evil or Shield.

Unseen Servant strikes me as one of those spells that could be good if you were well-versed/creative with it.

Satin Knights

First Post
Unseen Servant is nice, but is a 20 lb limit spell that you have a free 5 lb version of for the most part. It can do more complicated things, but the range the servant needs to stay in without disappearing is the drawback. Riding Lu, you can easily outpace the servant and have it disappear due to range. Even Ni, double moving quite a bit could do the same. So, it may not last as long as you hope in the idle state.

Spell Suggestions:
Shield: always a good spell when you have prep time to fire it off.
Get a Lesser Rod of Reach for 3k and you won't have to be within touching distance to slap it on Lu.

Ray of Sickening was a good suggestion. same reasons.

Expeditious Retreat: Lu moving along at 70'. :D Best when paired with Unfetter. But, since you can ride Lu, the pairing of spells is not as critical.

Compel Hostility looked nice until I figured out that they have to already be within threatening range, so it cannot be used to force movement.

Protection from Evil is something you want on a wand. When you need it, you want to cast it five or six times in a row to cover the whole party. Summoner's could do that, but then exhaust their spell reservoir severely.

Unseen Servant is better as a wand spell. Well, it is hard to think of what task you need to command it with that will take more than an hour. So, the extra duration of knowing it yourself seems moot.

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Qik

The few times I've actually leveled a caster to 4th or 5th level, I find myself asking the same kind of questions. I'm pretty inexperienced with it, especially regarding PF, but I ask myself a couple of questions. Like who my character is and what kind of spells he/she would use. For example, my old Rogue-Sorcerer(ess) that I had in a game run by GlassEye, for the early part, there was a lot of stuff that she used to extricate herself from bad situations. Fog spells and the like. Then again, when you've a strength of 7....;)

Anyway, I find it helps not just to ponder what spell to take, but if the char has developed to you, then think about what would best fit the character involved. Has he/she been in a situation where he/she would have found it useful to have Unseen Servant? Or perhaps been poisoned in combat and found it difficult to recover from, something his/her "Natural" talent might learn from, thus developing a Ray of Sickness? Would he/she do such a thing to the opponent?

That's how I figure it out, though my casters always end up being disposable as in the past, aside from that Rogue-Sorcerer(ess), my 3/3.5 casters seemed to always end up in a Minmaxed group and had little, if anything, to contribute. Between that and the rules lawyering, it can really make the game not fun for someone who develops their character that way. :)

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Question: Cythera uses Perform Dance (+12) in place of her Acrobatics Skill (Class feature for Dancing Dervish). If she has Boots of Elven Kind (+5 to Acrobatics) would that effectively give her +5 on top of Perform Dance, or does it add to her true Acrobatics Skill (+2 for Dexterity alone).

What about Masterwork Slippers (50gp), +2 on Perform Dance? Same idea?

Remove ads