General Discussion

Rhydius

First Post
Quick question, is it possible to use fighting defensively in combination with a feint?
I understand that it seems to be stretching it a bit as fighting defensively specifically mentions that it should be used as part of an attack.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Quick question, is it possible to use fighting defensively in combination with a feint?
I understand that it seems to be stretching it a bit as fighting defensively specifically mentions that it should be used as part of an attack.
I would say that you can. Combat Maneuvers are special attacks, yet still attacks. They can be used for AoO as well, so I think it is stands to reason they qualify for use during fighting defensively.

Systole

First Post
The ranger infiltrator archetype does not have a listed action to activate the adaptation ability. As it is listed as an Extraordinary ability, but has to be "turned on" to activate, is it considered a standard action? Free action? No action?
Use Special Ability
Using a special ability is usually a standard action, but whether it is a standard action, a full-round action, or not an action at all is defined by the ability.

Extraordinary Abilities (Ex): Using an extraordinary ability is usually not an action because most extraordinary abilities automatically happen in a reactive fashion. Those extraordinary abilities that are actions are usually standard actions that cannot be disrupted, do not require concentration, and do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Since this is not a reactive ability (e.g. Improved Evasion) technically it should be a standard action, according to RAW. If I were home GMing, I'd probably rule it a swift action and have done with it. In the grand scheme of things, I think it doesn't matter a whole lot.

EDIT: That came out wrong. What I was trying to say is, there are things I'll argue to death because I think they adversely affect gameplay (see the discussion on Capable: Perception for the prime example). Whatever way this is decided, I don't think think it adversely affects gameplay, although it may mess things up for your character.

Last edited:

Systole

First Post

Yes, you can use them together. CMs are a type of attack, so attack bonuses and penalties apply to CMs. I checked this back when my barbarian got Knockdown and I wanted to know whether charge affected his CMB. The answer was yes it does.

Rhydius

First Post
I would say that you can. Combat Maneuvers are special attacks, yet still attacks. They can be used for AoO as well, so I think it is stands to reason they qualify for use during fighting defensively.

Yes, you can use them together. CMs are a type of attack, so attack bonuses and penalties apply to CMs. I checked this back when my barbarian got Knockdown and I wanted to know whether charge affected his CMB. The answer was yes it does.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

jackslate45

First Post
Since this is not a reactive ability (e.g. Improved Evasion) technically it should be a standard action, according to RAW. If I were home GMing, I'd probably rule it a swift action and have done with it. In the grand scheme of things, I think it doesn't matter a whole lot.

EDIT: That came out wrong. What I was trying to say is, there are things I'll argue to death because I think they adversely affect gameplay (see the discussion on Capable: Perception for the prime example). Whatever way this is decided, I don't think think it adversely affects gameplay, although it may mess things up for your character.

The only time it really matters is in combat. For Aradra, the difference between a standard and swift/free is full attack options. I took a look around, and found conflicting reports on which one it was.

Other than that, you are correct; having one or the other does not matter in the long run. It would be more planned than reactive.

Qik

First Post
None was arrived at. Perhaps a proposal thread is in order? Or are we overloading ourselves with those at present?

DalkonCledwin

First Post
I don't think it really necessitates a proposal thread since all I am asking about is a purely role playing related aspect of the game, and ultimately even without the approval of the judges if a player wanted to have a social area for his LPF character he could just create a thread in the Playing the Game area Prefix it with the normal Pathfinder Title and then invite his friends and their characters from Living Pathfinder to come Role Play in said thread with him.

I am just asking if it might not be more prudent to go ahead and get this system sanctioned within the Living Pathfinder Organization so that it has continuity within the game instead of being separate and distinct from the game so to speak. I.E. this way it will actually impact the character development of those characters in a very real way that is accepted by the judges instead of being something done outside of the realms of LPF.

That was my goal by bringing it up. I mean not to step on any toes but is a proposal really necessary for creating a thread or a few individual threads that represent the IC Locations that are occupied by the characters dwelling places... places that may or may not actually reside within the Dunn Wright Inn (as in the case of Fae'shiel's and Veniarus' own living spaces which are both on different properties aside from the Dunn Wright Inn). It would just make more sense to have an alternative thread representing the places where PC's go to relax when they aren't at the Dunn Wright Inn. I mean the Dunn Wright Inn would still in my opinion be the location where people seek out adventurers, but this is more about character development than it is about having an additional area for adventure seeking.

Remove ads