General Discussion

Qik

First Post
My interpretation is that you would need to charge so as the line of your charge would not take you directly through your opponent (i.e. no free quasi-overrun, since the text says nothing about this). So in your example of a 5' hallway, you couldn't use Ride-by Attack.

The only ambiguity for me is whether one can adjust their charge angle slightly so as to allow for Ride-by Attack: i.e. if you're directly to the left of your target, if you could move one space down in order to allow for Ride-by Attack, rather than charge straight ahead. Personally, I'd say yes to this, but that's just my off-the-cuff interpretation.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I thought I asked this question, but cannot be sure. Regardless, I forgot the answer if I did. :p

This is what is confusing me on the Ride-by-Attack. According to this, you cannot charge through the target. But, Ride-by-attack (Not ride though attack) doesn't seem to care that you are going through an obstacle.

Can you charge, but not going exactly straight at your opponent, such that the path of your ride-by-attack actually goes by the opponent if it is still standing?

Or you get a free overrun with them not getting knocked down.

This sort of thing matters in a 5ft hallway with a critter blocking the way.

First, Charge clearly states 'you must move to the closest space'. In most cases, when counting out movement, there is only one option that qualifies for closest space.

The key point for Ride-by Attack is 'continuing the straight line of the charge'. If this straight line passes through the target's square then you can't use Ride-by Attack without also performing an overrun.

And the key phrase for Overrun is 'during your move or as part of a charge', so you can use overrun with a charge and ride-by attack (and imo would be required to use overrun with ride-by attack).

For me there is a bit of ambiguity concerning how to draw the straight line of the charge particularly when the target is not on an exact diagonal. In those off cases it looks to me like the line of the charge could actually pass by the target without going through the target's square. When that happens I think you could charge & ride-by attack without the need to use overrun.

In your 5 ft. hallway example your option is limited. If you want to use ride-by attack you have to also use overrun. No freebies; you have to follow the rules for all of the options used.

Charge lines A, C, & F can Ride-by Attack without using Overrun. Lines B, D, & E require the use of Overrun.

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Thanks, this is how I am seeing it as well. It gets a bit more ambiguous when using a lance. But still the diagram covers it.

Some people are just expecting more out of the feat that it actually states.

Satin Knights

First Post
Wiki changes: Oct 3rd, the wiki is getting a forced upgrade.

The developers are forcing changes on the base wiki template. For the most part, the screen layout is getting a little wider. But, the will be forcing the "new" menu on people instead of allowing a choice, because it drops some duplicated code in the page loading. We were using the old default one. I don't like the new menu, but we are forced to switch by Oct 3rd when what we were using will disappear. So, I moved to the new one now so it can be edited and active.

I took the forum and blog links off because they hadn't been used in over a year. I can add one more top level menu I think. There is no documentation at all on how to configure it, so I am stabbing blindly at it.

I will take suggestions as to other things to add to the menu. Gods, Geography and Cosmos seemed to be reasonable additions.

Remove ads