Generation Ships--- Can we build one now?

Either way is possible... But humanity still kills humanity over stupid things like skin color and religion and tend to be generally apathetic about mostly everything. I don't see us pulling together as a species long enough to really pull it off. Too bad I won't live long enough to see it happen but I would really love to be proven wrong.

Those are great points re: humanity.

I think the other big problem (at least in relation to, say, the view from the 1950s) is that we have found that space is a .... hard problem. At least for manned exploration.

Whereas biotech, computers, etc. have been easier. Probably more likely at this point that our upcoming AI overlords will be ones exploring the cosmos.
IF we last that long as a species.....

Ryujin

Legend
So I was going to write something similar to this.

Many people have made good points about how Generation Ships ("GS") aren't feasible from either a technological or an economic perspective, which doesn't necessarily answer the question of whether we could build a GS.

On the first point, it is definitely the case that the future will provide us better technology with which to build a GS; just like, for example, if the Apollo missions had been postponed until the modern era. But just because the technology will be better, doesn't mean it is completely infeasible today. If we had a similar drive ("We will launch a GS in 20 years,") I am fairly positive it would get done.

On the second point, yes, it would be a massive undertaking, and not possible with the current budgets of NASA (or any individual country's space agency). But if things were different, if space exploration was a priority in the same way that, say, the Department of Defense was, maybe not. But that's about allocation of resources (and, to be honest, I don't think a a GS would be the best use of space exploration resources).

Finally, I'm surprised no one commented on this-

Um, I hope so? I really really hope so?

But while any sufficiently high technology is indistinguishable from magic, and we don't know what we don't know, that are actual REASONS that we may never travel FTL. I really, really, really don't want that to be the case. But I do not have that confidence.

Good point about the Space Race. When the decision was made, the tech began to be created in order to meet the needs.

Remove ads